Glossy Label May have found the Answer????

bugtussle

OK, revisitied one more time. Finally cleaned up my office in the house yesterday. After over a year, none of the glossy labels I had on tins, etc had turned yellow. No fluorescent light, only natural light and regular light bulbs. I think someone mentioned fluorescents when this came up before. Is it possible this is the culprit???? Can anyone else confirm this or is my brain just pickled with FO? :o :o Carole

Well it finally happened to me-- the dreaded yellow label! I hadn't seen them before because I store my labeled items in a dark room between craft shows. Those labels are still nice and white.

Then... I went to pick up some soaps I had left at a Bed and Breakfast and found that some of the labels had yellowed. The manager had the soaps displayed on a dining room table with natural light.

Now I have to rethink what to do with my labels.

What labels won't fade or yellow?

I use vinyl inkjet labels from www.onlinelabels.com and Epson printer www.epson.com with Dura Bright ink that is waterproof and smudge proof and 100 year against fading also had no problems with labels turning yellow or the ink fading. This workes great for both candle & B&B labels, they hold up great in the shower.

BTW - These vinyl labels are not gloss they are matte.

OK, revisitied one more time. Finally cleaned up my office in the house yesterday. After over a year, none of the glossy labels I had on tins, etc had turned yellow. No fluorescent light, only natural light and regular light bulbs. I think someone mentioned fluorescents when this came up before. Is it possible this is the culprit???? Can anyone else confirm this or is my brain just pickled with FO? :o :o Carole

Hi Carole,

Yes, I think that florescent lighting is the culprit. I use Avery Business Cards for my business cards and tags. I have noticed that the Ivory ones inparticular will. I have not used the white ones enough yet to know if they would do the same. I have wondered why some that I have will yellow and some don't. If I have them stacked (exposed), I notice that the top one will be yellowed and the edges of the rest of them will also be yellowed.

I asked a printer guy at staples why this is and he said that florescent lighting will discolor a lot of paper, etc. He said that they keep all their paper (cardstock, etc) covered. As I thought about my situation, it made sense. I have been laying my tags on my shelf that is close to the only floresent light in my shop. The other tags that I have left over by the window on top of a shelf (away from the florescent light) seem to do fine. I now will be storing my printed tags in small expando files. This should do the trick. I have never had the problem with my business cards because they are never never near a florescent light. I now know for sure this is the cause. The problem is......if a candle is in a store with florescent lights, I am sure it will yellow in time.......hanging from the candle and most likely in florescent lighting. So, how do we fix this problem? :undecided

P.S. Different material for others here may have different causes, but I know for sure now that the florescent lighting is what is causing my business card material that I usefor tags to yellow -- they turn a darker yellowish ivory -- not real pretty. :undecided

I use vinyl inkjet labels from www.onlinelabels.com and Epson printer www.epson.com with Dura Bright ink that is waterproof and smudge proof and 100 year against fading also had no problems with labels turning yellow or the ink fading. This workes great for both candle & B&B labels, they hold up great in the shower.

BTW - These vinyl labels are not gloss they are matte.

I use the Vinyl Inkjet labels too from Labels by the Sheet and I have not had any problems. However, today when I went through a pile of flat sheets of different shapes of labels that I have, did notice a little bit of yellowing around the edges of the sheets of some of the vinyl inkjet labels. So, not sure what they would have done if the whole sheet was exposed on an open shelf. :undecided I have not noticed them yellowing on the bottom of my jars or on the ones on the lids of my wickless candles -- not yet anyway.