Help!!!

Good morning everyone,

I need some advice on something! my first 3 candles turned out perfect but now the ones i have made since them have been coming out creamy/cloudly looking on top after completley cooled. Also some look cloudy around the sides. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how i can fix it? THANKS ;)

Nita, in order for someone to give you good advice, they'll need to know what type wax you're using, pouring temps, additives, etc. The more details you can give, the more accurate the advice will be. I'm new to all this myself, so I always defer to the experienced chandlers on these problems. Good luck!

Thanks Scent North.

I am using Naturewax Cargill C-3 which is a soy flake wax. I am pouring around 150 degrees F. I know i am doing something wrong but i cant figure it out. Is there anything i can do to fix the ones i already have made like melt them down again?

:cheesy2: I do know that one of the great things about candles is that you can always re-melt and try again! Maybe trying a higher pour temp? Try doing a series of temps, you started at 150, re-melt and pour one at 155, another at 160 etc and note the results. Do you pre-warm your containers & molds? Doing so might also help. The three most popular words used in advice around here are "Test, Test and Test"! I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Do you have a picture or could you take one? It's soy, so it's supposed to be creamy. Do you think you have frosting? Could it be wet spots from the wax pulling away from the jar? You can melt it down and reuse it, but it might be something you need to find why it happens. Any way you can describe in a little more detail?

I dont have a picture but I will try to describe it better. I have made a light green one for a granny smith scent. well the top of it looks dry and white almost like frosting was spread on it. How do i keep that from happening? i was hoping maybe if i remelted it down it would be better. So when remelting it how do you guys do it? i have been told to put it in the oven. Is this a good idea? if not please advise. ;)

I also had two candles to sink on my last night. what causes that? Sorry to have so many questions guys but i really do appreciate your help. :)

It does sound like frosting on the top. I don't think I've had it completely cover the top before, almost sounds like "bloom" maybe. Your house temperature may be just enough different that they're cooling at a different rate. As for the sink holes, there was a thread here about that not to long ago and there are others too. Some people find pouring the C3 cooler helps with that, others like to pour hotter. Might just need to keep playing around and take good notes. A heat gun helps fix the sinking, poke some holes in there while you're heating. Hope that helps a little, I imagine someone else will have had the frosting like that and be more help.

Thanks Amy.

I dont even have my a/c on right now in my apartment because the weather is nice so i wonder how i can keep them from cooling at different rates.

If anyone else has any advice about frosting please let me know. :)

That is great news. Thanks Amber.

I poured more candles today and most of them had sink holes so i had to repour and I am using a one our soy wax. I will try your idea and see if that helps me. Thanks. :cheesy2:

Hi Nita!

I use C-3 also! I can say I pour at 160* and I don't heat my jars but I do put a large bath towel(I bought special for this) and set my jars on that then I pour and it works great for me. Also...do you use liquid dye? if you do that will cause the frosting for sure! I use blocks. Good luck...I have a pic of one of my candle tops but have no idea how to get it on here..it won't copy so I can paste it.?

Kimmeroo

Thanks Kimmeroo for your imput. I do use liquid dye so maybe that is my problem. I havent poured any today so i might try leaving them in the oven over night to see if that helps. Does the towel you bought help keep the heat in longer or how does this help?

Good afternoon everyone!!

Does anyone triple scent there candles? Right now i am using 2 tablespoons of f/o which is 1oz for about 1 lb of wax but i am not getting a good hot throw. the cold throw is fabolous! any advice?

Good afternoon everyone!!

Does anyone triple scent there candles? Right now i am using 2 tablespoons of f/o which is 1oz for about 1 lb of wax but i am not getting a good hot throw. the cold throw is fabolous! any advice?

Triple scented is basically just a marketing tool. Wax has a max FO load and won't hold any more than that. Not all FO's weigh the same. You need a scale and weigh out your FO's vs. using a tablespoon for measuring. Thicker oils actually will measure 1 1/2 in a measuring glass but only be 1 oz on the scale so that could be part of the problem.

I have some oils that I can cut back to 3/4 oz per lb and get a great throw, some that take double that and some that won't even throw at all in soy.

Start with weighing your FO's on a scale at 1 oz or whatever your % is for your wax and go from there :D