Salt Bar Gurus needed please ??

Steph in tx

I've only made one batch of Salt bars and it turn out o.k. (no color :cry2: ) I used mostly Coconut oil, but used a tad of Mango Butter with it.

I have a lot of Cocoa Butter, and was wondering if I could use this in my Salt Bar? Do you think it would work out like others if I did say like 70% Coconut Oil and 30% Cocoa Butter? I'd like to make some more Salt Bars, but don't want to waste my oils and butters. :o

I consider myself still a NEWB as far as soaping goes! And swirl impaired, but I'm not giving up yet!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

I agree, the salt bars already are more of a cream bar but still gives lather. If you ad that much cocoa butter who knows what to expect. The only advice I can say is NOT to use dead sea salt....I ran out of the sea salt you can buy in the store and replaced it with dead sea salt now I have to pitch the entire batch because it wont harden right :cry2:

WOW!! Ya'll are fast!! LOL Thanks for the help. See I would have screwed that up for sure!!

I like the Salt Bar I made, w/o Castor and Shea, it lathers good for me. I use one of those scrungy things in my shower, and it lathers just fine :wink2: . But I have seen a lot of talk of Castor Oil. I may try that too, later.

Dirtybird-- I saw your post!! I surely feel bad for you!! I bet it would have been one of your best, if it hadn't been for that d*** salt!! I only use the salt w/o iodine so far and it did o.k. I'm just playing right now.

Any advise what I can do with my Cocoa Butter??

Steph, I made an 80% coconut/10% castor/10% shea bar batch. Bars are so hard that I get no lather if wash my hands at the sink.

Lathers just fine in the shower with a puff.

Batch did have some other issues but cocoa made soap too hard.

my2¢,

donna

I was thking as I read this, 'gee I have a great bar right here at the kitchen sink that's coconut/shea/castor and it lathers great! :)

I actually like a little cocoa butter in my milk soaps - especially a coconut milk soap that I recently started making. I think it makes for an extra creamy bar at small amounts! I also tried swirling just plain melted cocoa butter into the top of a finished slab mold to see how it would do. It remained unsaponified, affected the lather only minimally and made for a VERY moisturizing bar. That was my cocoa butter swirl bar - LOL not very original...but it works well!

Thank you for all your replys and help. I too have used butters in some of my soap recipes. I just haven't used any of my Cocoa Butter yet, and didn't know "how" to use it. I'll try some in my soap recipe at a lower rate and see how it works for me.

Thanks again!!

Edited because "he" was logged on!! grrrr!!