? about Liqua Par Optima

Ruina

Hi all,

I posted for Bunny on sticky and thought I'd post here also. Hope that's alright.

I'm new at making this stuff and am trying to figure out about preservatives. From reading Bunny's sticky post, I gathered that I can use Liquapar Optima for both oil-based products (scrubs, butters) as well as water- and oil-based products (lotions, creams). The description saids:

In aqueous systems, a co-solvent or surfactant may be needed to help solubilize the preservative.

Does anyone know what that means?

Would truly appreciate any help.

LiquaPar Optima is basically oil based. It's oil soluble, which is why it can be used in scrubs and other anhydrous formulas. It can be used in lotions and creams because there is oils in there that is can "dissolve" in, and it also has the emulsifiers to help solubize it as well.

In an all water solution (such as a room spray), it will need something to help it blend with the water. That's basically what they're saying. Although, if you're making something that's all water, you should use a preservative that's better suited to that medium. There really is no catch-all preservative (one that can be used in every formulation). That's why it's so important to research your preservatives, and make sure they're appropriate for the formula, and that you're adding it at the right time (many are heat sensitive, and will break down if exposed to high temps for too long).

I hope this helps!

Lindsay, thank you for explaining that. Since I don't sale what I make, I just gift them, I was looking for a preservative that would work for at least most of what I make. Don't want to have to buy too much stuff. Like, where would I store it all in my little apartment? I'm already crowded in. LOL!

LiquaPar Optima is about as broad spectrum as you can get. It's only the water formulas that it doesn't play nice with. However, you should be able to simply get ONE other preservative for that, and have pretty much most of your products covered.

And just wait, you're just starting! It will overtake your life, your house, everything! But at least you'll have beautiful, soft and sweet smelling skin!

• 2 weeks later...