Soy Pillar Blend-its horrid!

What else can I use it for? Can I mix it with anything. I like soy container but tried a pillar and it was pants, so mixed half of it with paraffin for 50/50mix and that was still covered in jumplines.

I just don't seem to be getting on with it, was pouring at 150-155.

Here a piccie of the first attempt, the 2nd I just threw back in the pot!

soypillar.jpg

The pink at top (first layer to be poured) is mottled, its completely split all the way round from the next layer, despite relief holes being poked, I poured at 150 first, 155 second, between the white and the turquoise has bits missing and theres the occasional bit missing but I think it may have caught on the mould coming out with that.

The 2nd candle is covered in jumplines and occasional bits missing.

Can I do anything, or am I deemed to ditch soy pillar?

Hi,

I'm in the UK and I'm not too sure we have much variety.

The container is cb135 so I'm assuming its the pillar version of that?

When you hear of a 70/30 blend, is it 70 soy or 70 paraffin?

Another thing I thought of, I know you don't put stearic or vybar in with soy, but wondered with a 50/50 parasoy blend

I had the hardest time with soy pillar wax, when I tried it. Some of the same problems as you, so I gave up and stayed with paraffin for both Votives & Pillars.

You can make wax melts for tart burners, that way you wont have to waste any of that wax.

Hi' date='

I'm in the UK and I'm not too sure we have much variety.

The container is cb135 so I'm assuming its the pillar version of that?

When you hear of a 70/30 blend, is it 70 soy or 70 paraffin?

Another thing I thought of, I know you don't put stearic or vybar in with soy, but wondered with a 50/50 parasoy blend[/quote']

usually its 70 Soy and 30 Paraffin

thanks folks' date='

right one last experiment, just cos I want too :D before I turn it all into melts........

I'm going to add some stearic to the 50/50 parasoy mix :D

lets have a butchers, see what happens ;)

I'm gonna pour at 140[/quote']

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this like the FIRST couple of candles you've poured with PB? I reckon Michaelangelo painted a few duffers before he created a masterpiece!

You can't expect to turn out the perfect candle first time, especially with soy. Why don't you try a single colour pillar and perfect that, and then perhaps do TWO layers and pefect that. Trying to pour loads of layers is just asking for trouble as you have to make sure you have the temperatures perfect, and I know already that you're having a hard time trying to figure out correct pouring temps.

I'm not trying to preach but you have been SO busy lately creating candle after candle in tons of different styles - pillars, votives, pies etc and at this rate you'll be a Jack of all Trades, but Master of None!

I have probably thrown away 100 kgs of wax in my time through pillars and container candles that just don't turn out right. I didn't give up, I just kept on tweaking till it came out right. There are candle makers on here who have been doing it for YEARS who still turn out a duff candle now and then. Seeing as you've only been doing this a few weeks, don't be disheartened if your first few candles using a wax you're not used to end up looking awful - it's supposed to happen like that - it's all part of the learning process.

If that were my candle, I wouldn't see it as a waste or a failure, I would see it as a wick testing tool - for fugly candles, you can burn them yourself and test different wicks to find the best burn!

Don't give up - ecosoya pb IS harder to work with than paraffin, but if you take your time and don't try to run before you can walk, you'll turn out a great candle sooner or later.

Nat

I have tried lots of different candles since I started, but that was enthusiasm :) I'd seen so many beautiful ones in the gallery, that I wanted to have a go.

Now I need to concentrate on certain ones, if I'm ever going to be in a position to sell.

I wondered if you could use it for votives actually.

The one I tried last night with stearic added for an experiment just came out with jump lines.

Don't think I have any soy wick thats small enough for votives though, will take a look.

BritishGirl, think I'd rather have container than pillar lol.

Is there anything you can add to soy pillar to use it in containers? Got some beautiful jars and containers today from Ikea :D