Wouldn't this HTP wick be too big??

I have an 8oz jelly jar (2.5") that I poured wickless so that I can yank tester wicks in and out. My first tester was an HTP 83. I got great scent throw, but the wick seemed to move off-center (perhaps because it isn't anchored in the bottom?) Because of this, my MP was just over 1" on one side and the glass was really hot. (the opposite side was right at 1/2")

While reading through numerous posts, I keep seeing that most people use/recommend a HTP 104 for an 8oz jelly jar. Based on my experience above, wouldn't that wick be way too hot?? I'd like to test it, but am afraid that it would really be too hot...

I use KY Perfect Blend. I know most of you here don't use that wax, but surely there's some sort of similarities in this wax and the wax those of you blend yourselves.

Bottom line, when testing wicks with this method, how can you really determine if it's the right wick when it "moves"? Should I really try the HTP 104 or just assume that the 83 is the right size for this particular one?

By the way, it was the 3rd 3-hour burn when my MP got to that 1" state....

I'm not experienced with the type of wax you're using but someone else may chime in with some precise info for you. Meantime, I'll throw in a few "off the top of my head" things-to-consider:

I'm going to assume that when you're speaking of your mp, you mean that the measurements are in depth (not width). Too small of a wick will cause tunneling whereby the mp goes more down than out. Further, you can't really get a good idea as to how well the wick is burning if it's going to move around. Your container might be heating up because the wick is too near the edge. Did you poke a hole all the way to the bottom of the jar for the wick? I use the same method for testing as you and my wick doesn't move around. I poke a hole using a wooden skewer and make sure I reach the bottom of the jar.

HTH

While reading through numerous posts, I keep seeing that most people use/recommend a HTP 104 for an 8oz jelly jar. Based on my experience above, wouldn't that wick be way too hot?? I'd like to test it, but am afraid that it would really be too hot...

Depends on the diameter of the jar. 8 oz jelly jars come in at least 2 different widths. The wide mouth one is over 3" in diameter and would require a larger wick. It would also depend on the wax, some types do require wicking up.

Amber -

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I use CD 16's in my 8 oz wide mouth jars with 100% soy. I have seen MANY posts of people using CD 20's and was even told a 16 wouldn't work but it works great for me. When I use the CD 16, I get an even burn pool with a melt pool between 1/4 - 1/2 inch (higher end on the power burn). If I used a CD 20, I think my melt pool would be half my candle lol.

The HTP 104 is comparable to a CD 14 and I have seen some use this in the regular jelly jars for the hard to burn scents like cinnamon and vanilla. When I tested a CD 14, I had about a 1 inch melt pool and that was too big to me so the CD 12 is what I went down to and worked. I think even on some lighter oils a CD 10 would work but I started using the wide mouth jars and didn't test it further. The HTP 93 is comparable to a CD 12 and the HTP 83 is comparable to a CD 10/12.

I actually have a macintosh apple candle burning that I used the HTP 105, perfect blend and 8 oz wide mouth. It has some hang up on the sides from the first burn so I am waiting to see if the second burn catches up and cleans the sides. I decided to play around with my own parasoy blends in the next few days. It's my understanding that the paraffin is wicked down compared to 100% soy so I will start on the low end and and work up.

Isn't testing just a blast? :undecided lol

Jami

Depends on the diameter of the jar. 8 oz jelly jars come in at least 2 different widths. The wide mouth one is over 3" in diameter and would require a larger wick. It would also depend on the wax, some types do require wicking up.

This is so true. I use J223 wax and depending on the scent tested, I find that most of the time I have to use htp104 wick.

I'm not using the wax that you are using but I use htp 93 to 104's in the wide mouth 8oz jj depending on the fo and/or color. I use anywhere from an htp 73 to 93 depending on the fo and/or color in the tall 8oz jj's.

hth's

Is the wick "moving" or is it curling off center? HTP's tend to curl (part of the self-trimming nature of that wick) resulting in an off center meltpool.

I honestly think it's "curling" off center...will it stop doing this once the wick is permanently attached to the bottom?

I honestly think it's "curling" off center...will it stop doing this once the wick is permanently attached to the bottom?

Unfortunately, curling comes with HTP wicks. It is the trade-off for having a self-trimming wick. There are some tricks you can do to limit the curling effect, like gluing the wick tab off center so that when it curls, the flame is centered, or you can twist the wick somehow (not too familiar myself but you can do a search) so that it untwists as it burns. I'm not familiar with your wax but I don't use HTP myself b/c of the curling issue. It's very frustrating for me but I know there are lots of people who use them and like them. HTH

Do you use the wide mouth JJ's? I'm just trying to get clarification on which jar required the larger wick.

Yes i do.. the diameter of the jar I use is about 2 1/2 in. (8oz) and the pint jar is about 3 in.--I generally use htp 105 with that one, but it does depend on the scent used as well, one particular scent didn't work well with the htp 104, had to use a 51-32-18z for that one.