first paraffin candle

Well, decided to try. Now I have the questions. When you add stearic, do you add it to your melting source, such as presto, double boiler or can you stir it in with color and FO? Soy does seem easier to work with. Ready for a laugh? Well, got the paraffin hot, put in pour pot, added stearic and color and FO. Figured to much FO, so was trying quickly to work the math to bring the % down. So added more wax and dumped in some more stearic and stirred. Not to bad looking...Rustic directions say pour at low temp. but by now it was getting sort of hunks floating. Poured into my wicked mold. Not to bad till I was straightening the wick and it pulled out. Couldn't have that, so pulled off the bottom stuff, covered the hole with my finger and before much could run out, stuffed the wick back through and added a glob of sealer. When do you poke relief holes? Is it still liquid in the middle after breaking through the top, or is it thicker? It truly was messy and hilarious. Last question, for the repour, can I melt the wax in the micro if I only do a little at a time. Is it the temp, uneven heat or the waves that cause fire? I salute you rustic makers. It is harder than it sounds. Beth

Beth, Had to chuckle at your whole story. You must have had the wax pretty cool to be able to hold your finger over the wick hole without burning it. Still can't imagine how you managed to thread the wick back through but good on you! Now to answer your questions. 1) I add stearine to my pour pot after all the wax has melted, then add colour and fo. 2) I pour at about 150 F but only after making sure that the wax is stirred and not starting to congeal on the bottom of the pot (or getting lumpy :cheesy2:). 3) Poke relief holes after about 45 minutes to an hour. The wax will be quite firm but soft and there will still be liquid where you poke the holes. Just keep them open by repoking every 30 minutes or so. I'm looking forward to seeing your rustic in the gallery, I bet it turns out sensational as these "disasters" often do. Mozz

Whoops, forgot to answer the microwave question but that's possibly because I have no idea. I've heard that it's a dangerous thing to do but as someone who has set my wax on fire at least twice I'm in no position to cast aspersions. LOL

Thank you for not saying, "go back to soy!" and for telling me about the stearic and repour. The mold didn't feel real hot and it had to have been hardening up on the bottom or it would have poured out all over the place and down my elbows. After seeing everyones first rustic in the gallery and how good they looked, maybe I should post these and make them feel like pros! Guess I'll heat the repour up another way, no micro. Can see I'll need more equipement for these. lol. Thanks again. Beth