HELP my salt bar has a fudge consistency

dirtybirdsoaps

Ive made many salt bars and haven't had this happen. I made a batch saturday morning and usually it hardens up within the hour where I can actually take it out of the mold. I have used the F.O. before in soap so I dont think thats the problem. The only thing I did differently is the salt. I usually use all finely grain sea salt that you can buy at the local grocery store well I only had a little more than half that I needed and had to use the fine grain dead sea salt from mms for the rest. Now my soap wont harden. Its all blended, no lye sitting on top or anything, but it kinda feels like fudge. Thats the only thing I can compare it to. You know how fudge is solid but kinda mushy at the same time, thats how it is and its had 4 days to sit???? Any advice?????? THANKS :cry2:

Sea salt from the grocery store is largely sodium chloride (table salt), while only a small part of Dead Sea salt is sodium chloride. Other salts can have very different properties, so I think that ingredient easily accounts for the weird result. It seriously changed the chemistry of the product.

Sea salt from the grocery store is largely sodium chloride (table salt), while only a small part of Dead Sea salt is sodium chloride. Other salts can have very different properties, so I think that ingredient easily accounts for the weird result. It seriously changed the chemistry of the product.

Yes, in my experience ( one large batch that went in the trash ) and every thing I have read, the Dead Sea salt does not play nice in soap.