Newbie questions RE: Steam coming out of soy tart

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here (and to candle making) and have a bit of a newbie question. I hope someone can help! I made my very first batch of soy wax tarts and burned one today. After a little while I saw steam (or smoke) coming out of the wax. Is that normal? I tried Google for answers and didnt find anything. I have actually only burned one soy tart before, only used the Yankee tarts and so I don't know if that steam or smoke (it looked more like steam to me) is normal to soy wax? It smelled good, not like anything was burning or anything. I did find one thread about this here but it's an older one and didn't really help me. The mold I used was a normal size metal tart mold.....Do I need to worry? Is this dangerous or is this just normal FO or wax evaporation or something? Any help would be great!

Melany

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here (and to candle making) and have a bit of a newbie question. I hope someone can help! I made my very first batch of soy wax tarts and burned one today. After a little while I saw steam (or smoke) coming out of the wax. Is that normal? I tried Google for answers and didnt find anything. I have actually only burned one soy tart before, only used the Yankee tarts and so I don't know if that steam or smoke (it looked more like steam to me) is normal to soy wax? It smelled good, not like anything was burning or anything. I did find one thread about this here but it's an older one and didn't really help me. The mold I used was a normal size metal tart mold.....Do I need to worry? Is this dangerous or is this just normal FO or wax evaporation or something? Any help would be great!

Melany

Not unusual. Here is a thread that talks about it in detail :)

Welcome to the board.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40431&highlight=tart+smoke

I read that too much FO can make it "smoke"....like the way a vaporizer does....

I bought some from a lady on ebay prior to making my own and hers did that. I used the standard tart warmer with the tealight below....it never smelled burnt, so I think she just maxed out her FO and it caused it to do that. It smelled really good though! :)

Is this dangerous or is this just normal FO or wax evaporation or something? Any help would be great!

Melany

More likely the fragrance oil evaporating. I've seen this on some warmers I've used. Depends on how hot they get.

No, I don't think there is danger, as long as the warmer is approved for wax tarts.

Tony