Tilted layers, how on earth!

I'm doing (or trying to do) a layered pillar, where you tilt each layer.

I've just poured the first layer and (this is hard to explain) because its on an angle, as I've poured it, its dribbled all down one side of the mould, so theres a massive piece of wax that when I pour the next layers is going to be on the outside of the others, all the way up.

Don't think I can explain what I mean :undecided

How are you supposed to get the wax just in the bottom of the mould, without going anywhere else?

oh and how long would you leave between layers? I'm assuming you go up by 5-10 degrees with each layer so they key together? but its soy pb (my first) and I'm pouring at 155, so if loads of layers it could end up at 200? that can't be right

Umm, very carefully? :D

Seriously though.. it depends on what you're doing. If they're rustics and it's not much wax, that thin layer of color probably wont show. Or you can give it a quick zap with the heat gun, just enough to melt it down, then wrap a wet rag around the outside to cool the mold quickly. If you're pouring hot so it doesn't actually stick solid on the sides, hold it more upright while pouring the bottom part, then tip. This is what works for me anyway.

Can't speak to the soy temps cause I don't do soy but do lots of tilted layers so here goes....I don't mind that wax on the side cause it adds to the rustic look KWIM...but if you don't want it there, hit it with the heat gun and it will melt and run down into the rest of the layer. HTH

haven't got a heat gun yet :( but just zapped it with the hairdryer ;)

I'll try pouring more carefully this time. They are thin layers so I'm only leaving bout 20mins between, so as not to pull away from the mould edge.

I'd love a rustic but think with soy pb you only get a plain pillar.

Although if someone wants to tell me I'm wrong there, I'd be very happy :D

doesn't it splash off a spoon?

I'll post a piccie, kitchen smells lovely, baby powder :)

Does anyone know if soy pillar blend takes longer to unmould than paraffin.

If it turns out pants, I may end up with a parasoy mix yet lol.

I don't use a wick pin, I've ordered a couple but they've been tiny.

However I do need to get some........ but thats another thread ;)

got so many questions running round in my head tonight, must have been the alphabet spaghetti I had for dinner

I tip mould up enough so that i can pour into the bottom 'corner' of the mould and then tip the mould back to the angle you want it at to set up. But that depends on how thick you're intending your layers to be.

I didn't time between layers, I left it until when you tip the mould upright slightly the layer bulges a bit with the weight of the liquid wax behind it, but the 'skin' is set enough to hold itself .............. does that make sense??

Post some pics of the finished result, can't wait to see :D

Anjie,x.

yep' date=' tried with a knife and it just crumbled unlike paraffin.

I've used the hairdryer :)[/quote']

I know that it would, but it gets your streak of wax off and could probably be incorporated with the next pour, affecting nothing, or melted into the layer with your hair dryer or whatever.

I had the same problem the first time I tried tilted layers. My husband made me a spout. We had a piece of sheet metal left from re-roofing the house. He cut a stip about 2 inches wide and 10 inches long. He curled the edges to create a sort of tunnel. I just drop it into the mold and pour the wax into it. And walaa, all the wax goes to the bottom of the mold without touching the sides. The rest of the layers I have to hold the strip while pouring. This method works great for me. I do my peppermint twist candles like this, and they have many layers.