Measuring Out Uv Inhibitor

Seems like a very basic question, but what is the best way to measure out UV? I have some 1.25cc scoops from AH, but no idea how many of these I need to put into 1 pound of wax. Could I use a 1/2 tsp measure that I normally use for baking, and does it need to be levelled off on the spoon, or is accuracy not that important with this additive?:smiley2: Thanks so much.

Seems like a very basic question, but what is the best way to measure out UV? I have some 1.25cc scoops from AH, but no idea how many of these I need to put into 1 pound of wax. Could I use a 1/2 tsp measure that I normally use for baking, and does it need to be levelled off on the spoon, or is accuracy not that important with this additive?:smiley2: Thanks so much.

This is what I use - I do level it simply because it's expensive stuff.

I use a measuring spoon then level off the top with a popcicle stick.

BTW - I had mine in a glass jar and had it to close to my heat source, that I use to melt my wax. The side of the jar that was next to the heat melted the UV additive in the jar on that side. This is such an expensive additive and now I have lumps that are not useable. We all live and learn from our mistakes.

The reason I transfered it from the plastic bag to a glass jar is, I noticed it had clumps in it. So I figured it must be from the humidity, so I thought glass with a tight seal would help prevent that.

Candle Man what rotten luck with the UV, and it is soooo expensive. I bought a 1oz bag from AH which was over $3.00 and I see that their 8oz bag is $25!! - Peak´s is only $12.90, so guess I will be getting some from Peak´s when I next send an order.

Candle Man what rotten luck with the UV, and it is soooo expensive. I bought a 1oz bag from AH which was over $3.00 and I see that their 8oz bag is $25!! - Peak´s is only $12.90, so guess I will be getting some from Peak´s when I next send an order.

Not all UV additive is the same, some are a part A and part B.

I like the UV additive from Bitter Creek, here is some info...

UVCOLOR2.JPG

Our new UV Color Stabilizer is easier to use, is more concentrated, and does more than our old UV Inhibitor, yet it's the same low price! It not only helps inhibit fading from light, but it also helps improve the stability of the candle's color and protect it from the effects of heat and fragrance solvents! Got difficult fragrance oils that change the color of your candle? Do your
blueberry
muffins turn
green
?
Try this!

See instructions below:

UV Color Stabilizer Info & Instructions:

The energy from light and heat affects and destroys the chromo-phores of color molecules. Light and heat also cause free radicals to form in the wax blend. Organic solvents and particularly the additives used in fragrances augment the destructive effect of light and heat. This unique system of stabilizing agents increases the stability of the candle components by absorbing light energy as well as by inhibiting the formation of free radicals.

Storage & Use:

Store powder in tightly sealed container, in a cool dry place. Mix powder directly into wax, do not heat powder on it's own as excessive heat may lessen it's effectiveness.

Use from .15% up to .25% depending on the dye, wax and fragrance being used.

Each 2 oz jar will do approx. 50 to 80 lbs of wax.

http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/additives.htm

http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index7&title_bar=UV%20Color%20Stabilizer&recordno=4&Product_CatalogID=2573&ProductCodeID=39&ProductSubCodeID=265&NewProduct=0