flavor oils

ladeanad

hello everyone

just wondering if anyone has ever had this experience..

i have been making lip balms for a couple of months now and i have been using the base and whatever flavor oil the customer requests..

has anyone ever heard of anyone being allergic to certain types of flavor oils ?

i had a friend call me.. she tried the vanilla banana i made.. and she said... her lips plumped and tingled.. she said they turned bright red.. she popped a couple of benadryl and that helped.. but she figures she had an allergic reaction.. she was so nice about it.. and said she wanted to tell me.. as her whole family was laughing at her plumpy lips..

i'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone... kind of scares me.. thank goodness it happened to someone that is a real sweetie.. and would never be upset..

oh gosh.. yes.. i wouldn't be without insurance.. its just too risky..

so many diffrent types of skin.. i was blessed with tough as nails skin.. nothing bothers me.. but my sister is a totally diffrent story.. has to be careful with everything..

With so much stuff that's in the oils you never know....entirely possible. I have had it happen w/ stuff I have bought from the stores....That's why I stick to what I make now....If her lips were dried or cracked when she used it that could have been some of the cause with the irritation too.

Just a thought...some of the lip balms use lanolin and that's a big allergen for lots of people. Most of the people in my family are allergic to wool and lanolin is the oil from wool or if she has an allergy to nuts and your base has any nut based oil there could be a problem there too....Just so hard to tell sometimes....

A few years ago I made lip balm with VCO. My SIL was one of my testers. She had an allergic reaction to the lip balm. I one by one replaced some of my ingredients so we could determine what was the cause. I was certain it was the flavor oil. Lo and behold it was the VCO.

Ann M

I used to be allergic to most lipsticks in the store. My lips would get itchy, dry, and start peeling. I used to think it was the fragrance they put in it. When I started buying natural lipstick, like Aveda, I haven't had the problem anymore. I try to only use EOs in lipbalms and make my own all natural base.

If you aren't making the base yourself there could be something in the base too.

Ann, is your SIL allergic to nuts?