Goats Milk CP ?

AkainePSP

I attempted goats milk soap. I'm not so sure it's going to turn out because it started to thicken really quick and it sort of looks like pureed pumpkin. Is this normal? This is the first time I have tried making goats milk soap. I froze it like it said to and then let it thaw to a slushy stage. But I am still not sure I did this correctly.

Kelly

Sounds like you added the lye too quickly and it scorched on you. I will probably be alright, and any funky smell should go away after the cure, but the color will probably stay the way it is if not a bit darker.

Even with the slushy stage or completely frozen GM you have to add the lye VERY SLOWLY or else it will scorch the milk and it will turn that putrid pumpkin orange on you.

Good luck next time.

HTH

J

No I'm really thinking this batch is not going to be any good. It leaked a ton of oil out the side of my mold. I will leave it go just so I can see what happens. I was actually waiting for the volcano! LOL! I'm new to the world of cp, so it's all a learning experience.

I went by this recipe: http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_goats_milk_soap.htm

I'm wondering if I should have mixed the water and lye together first let it cool and then added my goats milk to it.

470563984_f3e9c4d39b.jpg

All my soaps are 100% goat milk or 1/2 GM-1/2 aloe vera juice. The GM is always frozen totally solid in cubes and the lye added very slowly if it's a 100% GM soap, the the lye is added to just the aloe vera juice if it's a 50/50 blend and the GM is added to the oils with the aloe juice.

When using part water it is always easier to mix the lye with the water and let it cool then add the GM to the oils with the lye mixture like you said.

Did you add honey to this batch? I only recently discovered that if I soap my OMH with the oils higher than room temperature it overheats and oils seperate. This is the only formula I have absolutely got to have the oils RT.

The real honey just really heats it up. So I'm think you soaped too hot in general. I really like soaping with the oils RT and get a lot lighter soap that way.

HTH,

Bethany

No I'm really thinking this batch is not going to be any good. It leaked a ton of oil out the side of my mold. I will leave it go just so I can see what happens. I was actually waiting for the volcano! LOL! I'm new to the world of cp, so it's all a learning experience.

I went by this recipe: http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_goats_milk_soap.htm

I'm wondering if I should have mixed the water and lye together first let it cool and then added my goats milk to it.

Not only does it look like the milk got scorched, but it looks like it overheated in the mold as well. Did you insulate? I never insulate my GM's, in fact I discourage gel as much as I can with my GM. I dont' even know if that batch can be saved by rebatching, but it's worth a try. I use 100% GM when I soap it so I'm not sure about adding any water.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

I honestly think this batch is just going to meet the trash this evening. I should have looked for a more explicit step by step recipe. But from what I am gathering this recipe pretty much told me it was ok if curdled. I have learned quite a bit from this batch of soap, but thats what messing up is all about. :) Soaping is always a learning experience for me.

When you all say 100% goats milk that means no other liquid except for the goats milk? But I still add other ingredients like coconut oil and so forth?

Let's see if I got this together?

So most of you freeze your goats milk in ice cube trays and then put them in ziplocks for later use.

Add the lye at a very very slow rate. And if using water mix the lye with the water first let it cool and then mix with the milk.

Do not insulate with gm. Does this apply if I were using other milks such as buttermilk?

Thanks for your help guys.

Kelly:o

There was no honey added. What is RT? What is the difference between aloe vera juice and gel? I can get the juice but not the gel ans I had found a gm lotion recipe that called for the gel instead of the juice. Are these 2 interchangeable?

All my soaps are 100% goat milk or 1/2 GM-1/2 aloe vera juice. The GM is always frozen totally solid in cubes and the lye added very slowly if it's a 100% GM soap, the the lye is added to just the aloe vera juice if it's a 50/50 blend and the GM is added to the oils with the aloe juice.

When using part water it is always easier to mix the lye with the water and let it cool then add the GM to the oils with the lye mixture like you said.

Did you add honey to this batch? I only recently discovered that if I soap my OMH with the oils higher than room temperature it overheats and oils seperate. This is the only formula I have absolutely got to have the oils RT.

The real honey just really heats it up. So I'm think you soaped too hot in general. I really like soaping with the oils RT and get a lot lighter soap that way.

HTH,

Bethany

There was no honey added. What is RT? What is the difference between aloe vera juice and gel? I can get the juice but not the gel ans I had found a gm lotion recipe that called for the gel instead of the juice. Are these 2 interchangeable?

Yes RT is Room Temperature. 100% Goat milk means all of the liquid, not counting the oils is Goat milk. I use aloe juice and the difference is consistency - I've never used the gel, but would not think that they are interchangable.

I do insulate some of my GM soaps. but not all. It's been by trial and error I have figured out which ones to insulate or not.

Yes ice cubes, yes poor lye slowly.

If a ton of oils spilled all over you likely are just going to have to trash that batch.

Bethany

:) I pretty much use goat milk in all my soaps as 1/3 to 1/2 of my total soaping liquid, with the remainder of my liquid amount being aloe vera juice. I've never used the aloe gel because I personally don't like adding my lye to something so thick. The aloe juice I buy has the same consistancy as water, and the lye mixes in real well with it.

For the goat milk, I add the refrigerated kind found in a carton in the refrigerated section of the supermarket made by Meyenberg (instead of the canned or powdered found down the baking aisle).

I pour my cold (not frozen) goat milk directly too my room temerature oils and stickblend it in real well before slowly adding the room temperature lye/aloe mixture.

This method works real well for me. My soap has enough goat milk in it for me to feel the wonderfully creamy difference that goat milk adds, but without all the hassle that comes along with adding my lye directly to the frozen milk. It's just much easier for me this way.

Also, I get no ammonia smell and no discoloration by doing it this way. Depending on the color of oils I am using, my goat milk soap always turns out either a light creamy yellow color or an almost white color. Even if it gels. No more tannish-brown goat milk soap for me. Yay! HTH!

MarieJeanette :)

I tried GM again today and just finished getting it put together. I think it turned out this time. Only time will tell. It definately looks a little better than the last batch. I added Lemon EO and spearmint leaves. I like experimenting!

Kelly

476058953_9c1ee1b684.jpg

Oooh, that second batch looks pretty! I was going to suggest that if you couldn't get the batch right with regular goat's milk....to try blending some powdered GM to the warm oils instead. It does make for a lovely bar, and no orange soap or stinky soap!

This batch looks great. Major pats on the back to you!!!:highfive:

I always soap at RT and with any soap with GM or honey, I put my soap mixture in the fridge to keep it from gelling and overheating.

I tried GM again today and just finished getting it put together. I think it turned out this time. Only time will tell. It definately looks a little better than the last batch. I added Lemon EO and spearmint leaves. I like experimenting!

Kelly

476058953_9c1ee1b684.jpg

Yep, in the fridge, after I pour. I made a batch of GM soap on Saturday, scented it almond and vanilla, and left it in my little fridge that is in my shop over night. This way, I don't get partial gel or the mixture too hot. It came out very creamy and smooth.

My internet is not currently working in my shop but I'll try to post some pictures of it when I get fixed (which will hopefully be today that cable will come out but you know how that goes :tongue2:).

Yep, I learned that refridgerator trick recently and it makes a big difference. I don't like for it gel either and the honey warms things up quite a bit. My soap used to be a medium tan to brown in color and now it's creamy lt beige..wonder if I can make it white that would be nice.

The second batch I must say looks awesome. The first batch is separeted. The oils where poured to soon. The lye was to hot!!.. I hate that.. But you live and learn in the soaping world. I found that 98 degrees is an ok temp to pour oils. I read the recipe and ten minutes would be ok if it is winter somewhere cold. Where is it hot it would take longer. I found in the south where it is humity is high , it takes longer for everything!! I use a kitchen aid bowl, metal. When I can touch the sides and feel it is just warm, not hot ( the same temp as me)it is time to pour my oils when I pour my oils But I have made soap since 99 and it takes practice. What I can see is that you are well on your way and should do fine!! Monica