Baskets - Paint to use?

Jane42

I bought some natural wicker baskets at Pier One. I would like to try spray-painting them.

Can anyone tell me what kind of paint I should buy? From my searching online, I see that Fusion Paint for Plastic, by Krylon, was recommended by someone. Has anyone here tried that?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you may have!

Jane

Any spray paint should work for wicker. You might want to rough up the surface a little with some sand paper or steel wool. It will help the paint stick.

My MIL owned a fower shop and she painted her baskets all the time!

Well, I went and bought the Fusion for Plastic...but it was $4.97 a can. I am trying it out now.

I was tempted to just get the paint for .97 cents a can....lol....may still do that, and try it on some of the older baskets I have.

Thanks for the help!

Fusion paint is for plastic. The way it works is it melts the very top layer of the plastic you spray it on, this is what makes it bond.

The reason I know this is I needed to spray a red plastic flower pot white. I sprayed the first coat on and noticed the white paint turned pink. So if you do use it for plastic, choose light or dark colors for light colored plastic & ONLY dark colors for dark colored plastic.

IMO - It will work but you wasted your money to use it on wicker baskets.

The $1 dollar paint will work just fine except it does have a tendency to run and takes longer to dry. I like Krylon because it dries in 12 minutes or less, ready for another coat.

BTW - You will need to sit the painted basket out in the sun with a breeze or a fan because of the paint smell. The paint smell will take a very long time to leave the basket, so don't put product or wrap the basket for a few days to a week. The paint smell will mix with your product.

I spray baskets months in advanced so I don't have to worry about the smell.

PS - If you do need to use a basket real soon after spraying I suggest Design Master brand paint. It smells like it has alcohol in it so it drys fast and the smell doesen't last as long. You can use your basket in about a day or two. You can get this spray paint at Michale's, Hobby Lobby and floral wholesale suppliers and it cost around $5.50-$6.00 a can.

HTH - Candle Man

Well, it worked out great! It was breezy here today, with off and on showers, so I was running the darn basket, (which I had put in a box to spray), back and forth to the house....lol...I am sure my neighbors were wondering what the heck I was doing!!

Due to the breeze, I had to spray alot more than I think I would normally have to do. I loved that it dried right away, and there were absolutely no drips or runs.

I am curious as to how many baskets I can do with one can. It does seem like alot of money, but boy was it easy and it has a nice professional look.

The two websites I looked at suggested the Fusion for plastic because of the smooth finish on the wicker, but I will definitely be trying some less expensive paints with some of my "not so nice" baskets. lol

Thanks, Candleman, for the advice on letting it "air out" before use...luckily I don't plan to use them until the holiday shows.

PS - I bought these baskets at Pier One...they had them marked way down. The basket I painted last night was originally $6.00 on sale for $1.50. We are going to be using them for holiday gift baskets.

I bought these baskets at Pier One...they had them marked way down. The basket I painted last night was originally $6.00 on sale for $1.50. We are going to be using them for holiday gift baskets.

That's what I do, too for a lot of the wicker. Some of my specialty baskets I get from my wholesalers. Glade I could be of help.

I love spraying a cheap wallie world basket with the terra cotta colored paint. I pop a plant in the basket along with gardeners gloves, gardeners soap and a candle.

Ohh, that sounds neat. I have never used spray paint, so when I went to pick up one to test with, I was surprised at all the COOL choices.......Hammered Metal...wow! lol

Doesn't take much to entertain me....:rolleyes: