go BROKE QUICK with CANDLES!

Yeah, I thought I would just go and buy a little wax, a little FO, or even liquid potpourri because it's cheaper. Then I would pour the wax into some molds (homemade not store bought) let it set, and watch the money flow!!! Boy was I WRONG!!! This all started with a book I bought at a discount store about making homemade candles. After reading the book, I took a stroll to hobby lobby and thought I was making my "business investment". That first trip turned into several trips a week, plus the trips to the dollar stores, wal-mart, home depot, and countless other stores getting new wax, FO, additives, molds, supplies, and the list goes on. So here I am now, hundreds and hundreds of dollars less, not a single wicked-candle made to my perfection, and a completely addictive new hobby that I have developed an enourmous passion for. I'm currently only selling wax critters, so I am geting some money back, but it seems as each day passes, I see something new that I have to attempt and that means more money going to supplies. It's amazing how that works. I've attempted just about every wax product I can think of, but I'm still nowhere near the SAFETY and perfection I need to be to even give a wicked product away, let alone sell one. So I'm dipping away at wax critters, and pouring away at tarts. If I'm not doing that, I'm spending countless hours on this wonderful forum reading and researching. And then there's the experiments with 'canes and balloons. THOSE THINGS ARE ADDICTING! And finally, I have to blame DONITA for sparking my interest in pressed flowers. I've joined thier Yahoo! group and went on a walk around the neighborhood picking flowers earlier today. Well, I just wanted to vent and say thank you to everyone who is a member of this forum for inspiring me to take on not only one, but two new and very enjoyable hobbies. By the way, I see soaps and B&B in my future. So to everyone that thinks that you can profit from candles...GOOD LUCK. Perhaps one day down the road I will have perfected the art enough to actually sell or give someone a candle with my name on it. Until then, may I pour many pots, and meet many great people here at CandleTech.

-Joe-

http://www.myspace.com/133226919

Only hundreds of dollars spent? ;) I'm down over $1,000.00 and only first now ready to start selling. I too am a perfectionist though which is a curse! I do have a suggestion for you though to save a little money, don't buy at the hobby lobby (or michaels or jo anns), order from online suppliers. In my opinion you'll get better quality things for better prices. Just make sure to find a supplier close by so you don't spend too much on shipping.

Most important, have fun!

My husband was not real happy when he saw what my "supplies for testing/learning" were for the year... good thing tax season only comes once a year. Its easier to let him see the smaller invoices one or two at a time instead of the huge lump sum!

Yeah, I thought I would just go and buy a little wax, a little FO, or even liquid potpourri because it's cheaper. Then I would pour the wax into some molds (homemade not store bought) let it set, and watch the money flow!!!

Well, you're half-right. The money IS flowing, maybe just not the right direction. :smiley2:

please tell me you are not using liquid potpourri to make candles with. you should go online to one of the reputable suppliers & buy a candle making kit.

millcreek has a soy candle kit, lotion kit, peaks has candle kits.

hobby lobby is way to expensive if you are serious about this craft. read the instructions on different websites to help you choose what type of wax you would like to try, if you don't buy a kit. good luck

Only hundreds of dollars spent? ;) I'm down over $1,000.00 and only first now ready to start selling. I too am a perfectionist though which is a curse! I do have a suggestion for you though to save a little money, don't buy at the hobby lobby (or michaels or jo anns), order from online suppliers. In my opinion you'll get better quality things for better prices. Just make sure to find a supplier close by so you don't spend too much on shipping.

Most important, have fun!

Just a $1K-- chunk change baby!! chunk change!!

having only recently entered into the dark addiction called candle making i agree it not cheap:( fun and exciting and lots to learn though

i used to think it was my children who broke my bank managers heart now i hear he breaks into a cold sweat and hides in the corner crying when some one mentions candle making:tongue2:

The trouble is you can then justify a good reason to buy more stuff, because you sold a candle. I know I do! I'm never going to become rich doing this, the best I can hope is to fund my 'hobby' by selling some. :naughty: I keep trying to tell myself that I can't spend anymore money until, I've actually earned the funds from candle sales - but alas it desn't seem to be working. There's always some packaging or fragrance or labels or stationery, or wicks, or whatever that I simply have to have right now.

OK, after reading all this I don't feel so bad. I thought I'd just make some candles while I was off work due to surgery and couldn't do my usual. But it has become an obsession that has taken over my life.

I spent my entire fed tax return on this stuff. Would not think about selling anything. I'm back on my feet now and there is drywall to be hung and a yard that NEEDS attention. But, I have candles to make.

I think cocaine would be cheaper.