Palm Wax clogged my Presto spiggot, Help!

I was testing my glass glow palm wax today. Poured 5 lbs in my clean Presto pot. I got about 3 candles poured when my spiggot was completely blocked. I can't get anything to pour out of it.

I used a ladle to make the rest of my candles. Cleaned the pot out and used a pipe cleaner to attempt to clean it but nothing is still coming out.

What is a good way to clean it and open up the spiggot without messing it up further?

p.s. NONE of my containers made the pretty "design" on the glass. It has a pretty crystalline look on the tops but its like the plam completely adhered to my glass and no feathering look has appeared. I just see an occasional spot or stripe. I have them sitting in a dishdrainer without the drain and on cookie racks cooling and its about 75 in my house. I'm more interested in hot throw than appearance but dadgumit, I want the "pretty" to go with it lol. I used 4 different types of glass too.

don't know about clogged drain - I just did 1 lb in pour pitcher. My drain with bottom removed and turned upside down left probably 6" or so for air to flow around. I heated wax to 190 added fo and poured like Jakalex did. Have they cooled long enough? Other than that - don't know.

I still have 4 candles that are cooling so I dashed upstairs to turn the drain upside down. Maybe that will help. The first four candles have pretty much cooled. I am using straight jelly jars, large flower pot votive jar, 2 - 16 oz square jar and 2 - 12 oz square jars and have a couple other jars that I bought at a local pottery store to test.

I am impressed at how well the colors look. Definitely more vibrant than with soy but I expected that it would. The cold throw on all of the scents is great! Strawberry is one of my challenging scents as far as throw in soy so it was the first FO I grabbed to see if I can get it to throw in the glass glow wax. I will wait until tomorrow to burn them but will be "sniffing" them the rest of the night :o

I still want to test the other 4 lbs (I weighed my wax before I got started and only received 9 lbs of wax instead of 10 according to 2 different scales). Now I just have to get my spiggot to cooperate lol.

I'm pouring right now from my presto pot and my spigot is not clogged. Hmmmm......but then I'm melting another batch of wax right now. I'm testing different wicks (acutally 6 wicks). I would also suggest the heat gun to heat the spigot to let loose whatever wax has hardened in the spigot.

Also, to get the feathered look you have to cool very, very slowly. I have mine on my island, sitting on newspapers and covered with a box. I don't lift the lid until the next morning.

I previously poured 3 - 3 wick candles and did them that way and they are beautiful!

HTH

Also, to get the feathered look you have to cool very, very slowly. I have mine on my island, sitting on newspapers and covered with a box. I don't lift the lid until the next morning.

HTH

I wondered about this because on Candle Science it said:

"To achieve maximum crystal growth allow palm wax to cool as slowly as possible." BUT then it said this so it kind of threw me a little: "If you have less crystallization on the bottom of your candles try cooling them on a cookie rack so air can circulate around the entire container or mold."

Air can't circulate if its inside a box so thats why I didn't put mine in a box like I have with other candles to cool.

I am going to try putting them on a cookie rack and put a box over top to cool slow. It sure can't hurt. It didn't work the way I tried it lol.

Hopefully zapping my spiggot with a heat gun will help. This is the first time I have had a clog and it shocked me. I LOVE my presto with the spiggot and can see I am going to have to buy another one for palm wax and have one for my soy wax. (it's my story and I am sticking to it lol)

All I know is if the hot throw is half as good as the cold throw, I am going to be in love with this wax!! :D

Thanks so much for the input. Everyone is AWESOME and so HELPFUL!!!

Clean meant, I cleaned out any previous wax from the pot so there wasn't any soy residue that could blend with the palm wax.

Before I "dump" my wax in, I usually put about a cup or 2 of wax in to melt before I add a bunch so the wax has the hotter wax to prime and help melt what I am adding to the pot.

I have been using this pot for about 6 months with soy and votive wax. I have never had a problem with clogging. I just chalked it up to something cooled in there from the palm and crystallization. I had no problems pouring 2 batches and then when I go to pour the 3rd, nothing came out, I tilted the pot, turned the spiggot on and off, nothing came out :angry2: lol

I ladeled the remaining wax out the best I could. I am going to try the heat gun to zap it in a few and hopefully that will fix it.

My 3 year old grandson climbed in my lap and fell asleep so I am just sitting here reading posts until someone comes in from outside to carry him up to bed lol.

I use palm wax...had my spigot clog up once too. No explanation why. The next day when I used it, it was fine. I heat my wax up to 210, and pour at 200. You need to make sure your containers that you are pouring in to are hot when you pour the wax in, and just cool them sitting on a table is fine. You should get the beautiful effects. HTH

Can't help you with the presto pot. When I make palm containers I warm the jars in the oven prior to pouring. I pour the wax around 180*F in the summer and around 185* in the winter. I believe the reason why they said to have your jars on a rack for air circulation is because the jar sitting on your counter will absorb the coldness radiating from it. The bottom of the jar may not crystalize when the counter is cool. I have never placed a box over them while they are cooling. Watch out for a/c vents or cool drafts and you should be fine.

I did stick my jars in the oven after my first ummmm "screw up" :o

What a BIG difference it made. I have six GORGEOUS candles setting up and cooling.

I noticed that when I poured them earlier, the wax was basically "coating" the jar because the jars were too cool. It didn't dawn on me to heat the jars until an earlier post. I didn't change how I am cooling them just the temps of the jars pouring into them. That is all it needed.

I am excited. If the throw is half as good as how pretty they are, I will have a new wax!!! :whoohoo:

p.s. the heat gun zapped the clog right out of there but just wanted to say, I noticed a little of the "sealant" around the O ring so if using a heat gun, be careful of heating that area :D