Xcart vs. LiteCommerce

beesweet

Anyone familiar with both of these and have opinions? Is one harder to set up and customize than the other?

The price tag is high for both to include the features I'd like (actually higher with LiteCommerce!). But I'm wary of shelling out that much money for the wrong one.

Thanks!

After seeing some many "help, I'm pulling my hair out" type of posts, I assumed Zen Cart would be much too difficult! If I remember correctly, it wasn't on the list because customers *have* to register to order? An overwhelming majority of our customers said that they would prefer that registration not be required.

I think I might revisit it and play around, though, just in case. Free is always good! ;)

The last time I visited the Zen forums there was someone working on a contribution for 'checkout without registering'. I haven't been there in awhile so it may/may not be finished.

If you use PayPal as your cc processor Zen has built the new PayPal Express system into the cart which I *think* allows checkout without registration also.

I use Oscommerce which Zen Cart is based off of. Once you play around with it some, it's not hard to modify and you won't find another shopping cart with more Contributions than it has. I currently have 75 installed in mine...lol It has the purchase without account your looking for available.

I have been playing with Zen Cart for awhile now. It's learning curve is a bit higher (The templating system is what I'm talking about), but it's nice also..missing some functionality that I need.

If you want an all in one package including the purchase without account, you can try OSC Max which can be found here It has many things already added to the package.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I like zencart as well. So many sites I use have you register so I guess I don't think anything about it. Never had anyone comments about it either. ZenCart does such a nice job and is FREE. You can always try the zencart and if it does not work, then invest money in the others.

Required registration to order was the chief complaint in a survey of customers so I wouldn't want to tick them off. I, for the most part, like being able to register and view past orders, have a wish list, etc.:undecided I just had to use those features on a couple of supplier sites because I couldn't find things I need for production today and wanted to make sure they *are* here somewhere. Now I know to dig through our storage area for excess supplies...even if I don't want to! I'll definitely check to see if/when the no registration mod is ready.

You also may want to consider that registering helps your back end with reports, shipping labels, packaging slips etc. All the info is there, and doesnt have to be re-entered all the time. Usually the only time people complain about registering, is there payment records. It is illegal to hold credit card info etc...and most consumers are not aware of this. Zencart does not hold credit card numbers or other payment terms. Credit cards have to be entered everytime they purchase, but they dont have to enter in their addys etc...over and over. And if you have a good privacy policy in effect, most consumers are ok with it. So the registering is good for the consumer by being able to see what is ordered etc..as you stated, but it is also benificial to you. The report side of zencart is awesome, and can track all orders placed, shipping addys, and products purchased among other reports avail. Plus you can keep track store wise as to low products, what are the best sellers, what is the most viewed etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, zencart is based off of Os Commerce. Most of the Os Commerce developers are the ones who created zencart, to find an easier way to handle shopping carts. Most of the Os Commerce modules are already included into zencart. And if you need a specific module you are looking for, most of the development team will create and code one for you, at expense of course, but it can be done.