Just My IMO- a bit of a rant!! kind of silly

Lady_Sudz

People that make the decorative Silicone molds on ebay are making a killing...I would love to buy some mold for soaps and candles..But 1 mold just does not cut it!..You would think they would make sheets...with 6-12 cavities...I did not think the silicone is that expensive...Anyway..sorry for the babble..I wish i had time to make my own molds...Someone could have a huge business if they did those types of molds at good prices....

Maybe I'll search out how to make them. But if I had to be creative, it's a no go for me. *L* Molds are what I've been looking around for as well. I thought someone had posted a place where they teach you how to make them. It was some 2 or 3 day thing in NY or somewhere. I'll have to do some research.

I started doing my own for custom items exclusive to me recently and it's not that much of a learning curve if you do some research on it. Just like everything else, if you buy the material in bulk it's not as expensive. I really don't think it's that hard personally.

There's someone on ebay I found that does custom silicone molds. He's sculpting one for me. You just send him a picture. I think their called penguin molds in TX. I would love to make my own though.
I bought a mold from them and the material they use is not good in my opinion. It rips very easily and it reminds me of the kind used for food instead of for soap and candles.

My whole thing is....If I find a mold maker that I want to do Business....I want to be able to buy Many Molds in one tray...U know...I can not pour one at a time...and The things are sooo expensive...U can't affored more then a few molds...Like I said...JMO..Thanks for listening!

I bought a mold from them and the material they use is not good in my opinion. It rips very easily and it reminds me of the kind used for food instead of for soap and candles.

Is there a difference?

I brought a 6-cavity rose mold from Walmart but I haven't used it yet.

There may be a difference, but that 6-cavity rose mold works great! I have 4 of them and just poured 18 dozen (I believe that works out to 36 pours per mold) and they release beautifully. I had, of course, used the ONE I had quite a few times before buying the other three to fill this order. I wish I could get that same type mold in an oval bar shape for "regular" soap.

People that make the decorative Silicone molds on ebay are making a killing...I would love to buy some mold for soaps and candles..But 1 mold just does not cut it!..You would think they would make sheets...with 6-12 cavities...I did not think the silicone is that expensive...Anyway..sorry for the babble..I wish i had time to make my own molds...Someone could have a huge business if they did those types of molds at good prices....

Hi I have to agree with ya. the people on ebay that sell silcone molds do a killing. They sell them average price is 24.00 each. I to wish they would make a large silcone tray mold. But I hate to see what they would charge for that. Regina

• 4 months later...
Is there a difference?

I brought a 6-cavity rose mold from Walmart but I haven't used it yet.

I am not referring to the silicone food ones we can get in walmart or target...I am talking about the food ones they use for gumpaste/cake decorating...sorry to confuse.:smiley2:

I have several of his molds (it's Penguin-Love) and they are very well made, unique molds and he's custom made quite a few for me. I've not had one of them rip and have used them over and over with no problems. A couple are very big and I have had to slit the sides to remove my wax, but that's standard with a lot of big molds. With his molds, I'm not just paying for the silicone he uses, but his time to craft the actual piece and then make the mold........which is well worth the money he asks!! :cool2:

I have a couple of his too and one of mine ripped. I have requested from him Longhorn mold to no luck. My daughters school as well as this great state are longhorn crazy. I agree the single cavity molds are so hard to make much up in but i like you can't afford to buy many as i would need.

Anyone up for making a longhorn head for me????

HUGS

sandi

I have made silicone molds and still do for myself. I do have a few people that I have made molds for too.

I buy in 25# pails and I will tell you that if you are going to get good RTV (as it is called) it is very pricey. Not to mention the shipping.

It is easy, but time consuming....and if you don't have the product you are making a mold of installed properly the mold can be useless. Not like candles, you can't turn around and remelt it, doesn't work.

I had at one time thought about starting a business making silicone molds but in that volume it takes up alot of space to make to them. Plus if you make stock they are a PITA to store properly, lots of room.

But I do have to tell you, once in awhile I find something neat and decide to drag all the goods out and make a mold of it. When I am done, the fun begins to see what my creation looks like in wax or soap.

I have made my own silicone molds too. It is not that cheap, and it is a PITA to make a mold sometimes, especially if the freaking thing you are molding comes off the base. But it is fun, I would never make a business of it, as previously mentioned it would take up a lot of space. Kudos to those who do make them to sell, I can totally understand why they charge what they do charge.