Here's my shopping cart....

Well, now that I have you looking, I have some questions. Hehe. Sneaky, ain't I? ;) I figured another silly wick question was worth something more interesting.

ISO an answer on any of these questions you have an opinion on, if you wish to.

1) This is from Peaks. Are these good products?

2) Is this the correct wick for a container candle (glass containers on list)

3) Is this the best container wax when it comes to scent throw?

4) Do you like the additives I've ordered?

5) What does HTH mean? lol

Keep in mind I only wanna do Hurricanes, scent throwing containers, and pillars testing chunk, ice and shiny. I"ll try rustic and mottled (whatever mottled is) after practice.

Anyway, heres what I got so far... Any advice would be great. I don't wanna mess up.

ProductPriceQuantityTotal

M1004

Round Hurricane Mold: 5 x 6.5", No wick hole

$10.95 * *

$21.90

M1001

Mold Insert: Round 4.25 x 10" for Hurricane Molds

$4.50 * *

$4.50

M2010

Seamless Round Alum. Mold: 3" x 3.5" FLAT TOP

$4.45 * *

$4.45

M2012

Seamless Round Alum. Mold: 3" x 4.5" FLAT TOP

$4.45 * *

$4.45

M2014

Seamless Round Alum. Mold: 3" x 6.5" FLAT TOP

$5.50 * *

$5.50

F1025B

Cinnamon Fragrance Oil 4 oz.

$6.25 * *

$6.25

F1047B

French Vanilla Fragrance Oil 4 oz.

$6.25 * *

$6.25

PW1012

High-Melt Straight Paraffin-IGI 1260-SLAB

$12.95 * *

$12.95

PW1017

Vintage Container Wax Blend-IGI 6006-SLAB

$12.95 * *

$12.95

D1003A

Brown Concentrated Liquid Dye 1 oz.

$5.60 * *

$5.60

D1015A

Yellow Concentrated Liquid Dye 1 oz.

$5.60 * *

$5.60

D1013A

Red/Pink Concentrated Liquid Dye 1 oz.

$5.60 * *

$5.60

D1005A

Blue/Sky Concentrated Liquid Dye 1 oz.

$5.60 * *

$5.60

C1007

9 oz. Hexagon Jars CASE with lids (12/case)

$7.95 * *

$7.95

PW1001

Straight Paraffin Wax-IGI 1343A-SLAB

$11.95 * *

$11.95

W1002A

2.5" 44-24-18 Zinc Core Pre-tabbed Wicks, 100 pcs. ($5.99)

$5.99 * *

$5.99

W1055A

24 Ply Flat Braid Wick 10 Yards

$1.49 * *

$1.49

AD1002A

Universal Additive 8 oz.

$2.95 * *

$2.95

AD1005B

Stearic Acid 1 lb.

$2.95 * *

$2.95

A1002

Seamless Aluminum Pouring Pitcher: 4 lb

$8.99 * *

$8.99

A1007

Mold Sealer: 18"

$1.19 * *

$1.19

A1020

Lead Mold Weights

$1.75 * *

$7.00

A1016

Hold-a-Mold

$7.95 * *

$7.95

Yes, the whole post didn't work, actually. lol.

Hopefully some helpful souls can just look at the product I'm ordering and have some input.

I'm really most concerned about the zinc wicks I have on there. I have no idea what wick to order for 9 oz glass jars.

2. (Sorta...) I'd probably include a wick sample pack(s) for the containers. Different types of wicks burn differently, then there's selecting and testing for the correct size. I started with several different packs.

Good Luck!

ETA: Oh, a FO sample pack is nice too... uhhh.. to make the shipping worthwhile. :whistle:

Hey Lee,

You definitely have the wrong wicks there..... the ones in your cart are only 2.5".... those are for votives, not containers. As a newbie you definitely want a sample pack. If your going with the zinc, get the Zinc Core Sample Pack. Only $4.00 and you get 5 of each wick. May take a few tries to get the wick right on those 9 oz. jars, plus you'll have other sizes left over for when you move on to other things:D

HTH

you might want to get some UV inhibitor, some of my retail accounts tend to put my candles in a place that gets sun part of the day. It's pitiful if a candle fades. Peak's has the best price on UV inhibiter that I have found. I love there products by the way. Have never had a problem, once, when I did a co-op and they fixed it immediately. Their online help is great to, I am loving that feature.

What type of hurricanes are you planning on doing? Make sure you have enough lead weights, and you don't really need the hold a mold. I bought 3 weights and I should of had more and I don't use the hold a mold for my canes. You can use about 4 paper towels (wet) to put the mold into the water bath. HTH...Dee

Just a thought - is your pillar wax just straight wax with no additives. I play around with adding additives to my pariffin wax which is IGI 4786 for containers but my pillar wax igi 4625 I don't play with much except to add steric if I do rustics. Like I said - just a thought:)

You can use zinc with your waxes, but I agree, get the sample pack. You bought cinnamon & vanilla oils--if you can, add something lighter, fruit or floral, because then you will experience the different requirements for wicking. Peaks is a great way to start--outstanding company.

Just a little advice ... take it or leave it ... it's up to you. But, if you're new to making candles, I would pick one type to start with and decide on which wax you want to use ... then buy a kit (at a supplier nearest you - shipping can be expensive).

Start small and go from there. JMHO (just my humble opinion). ;)

Okay, thanks guys. Looks like its a good idea to just buy a buttload of wicks. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a wick sample packs, because once I find the right wick, I only get five of them.

I think I'll buy a bunch of wick packs just to see what they're all about, but still order a 100 pack of the wick I think will work best. I don't want to make anoher order right away when I only have five of the right wick.

Schmoopie - Thanks for the catch! Would be awfully upset if I ordered 100 wicks that were all too short. lol. I can always trim, but can't glue. Hehe. I'll fix that

Cindy - I'll keep that in mind, but these candles are just for me. And I'm surely not going to let anything a newbie is proud of get in the sun. But I think I'll UV inhibitor to the list just so I have it for the future. Haven't researched, but read on here that there are different kinds. Any one that works better with parafin pillars?

Snow - Uh.. What kind of hurricanes? Well, uh.. 5 inch mold with hurricane wax, with some sort of leafy embeddment or if I can't find what I'm looking for, probably a picture embeddment. Hopefully a 9 oz container inside won't melt it. Votive molds are available at Michaels, so I won't be too bummed if they don't. And I will now be adding more lead weights. lol. Thank you. But I'll keep the hold-a-mold... just because I'm new, I'm a guy, and I want toys. Hehe.

grama - I have no idea on additives. I'm gonna buy universal and searic and I guess I'll learn fast enough. Eventually I wanna do rustics, but all in due time. I'll worry about that later after I learn the hurricanes and containers. Who knows, I might hate this and not even wanna do anymore.

candlebuddy - I'm not worried about the extra shipping expense. But I do want my first order to keep me busy for awhile. And the "local supplier" scene really turned me off.

I just wish Peaks had a double boiler maker. I will have to get creative on rigging something up to keep the melt pot off the bottom of the boiler. Any ideas? I'm thinking about using the rounded aluminum concave thingies underneath the stove burners. lol.

Good luck!!! I'm still struggling with my containers...youre very adventurous for a newbie. As far as the double boiler you want to use a pot with water in it place a metal cookie cutter or something like that on the bottom to keep your pouring pot up away from the main heat. And, again, good luck!!!

Good luck!!! I'm still struggling with my containers...youre very adventurous for a newbie. As far as the double boiler you want to use a pot with water in it place a metal cookie cutter or something like that on the bottom to keep your pouring pot up away from the main heat. And, again, good luck!!!

Thats not encouraging. Hehe. I figured the containers were gonna be the easy one.

I'm gonna warm up the glass jars before I pour.

I'm gonna let the wax cool down to about 170 before I pour.

I'm gonna blast the buggers with a heat gun a wee bit while they're cooling.

I'm gonna let them cool in a warm oven and keep a close eye on them.

I'm even thinking about making a hole in the middle before second pour to make sure it shrinks outward from the middle, instead of inward from the sides.

I think I"ve been reading too much on this board. lol.

I really want glass adhesion. I wish I could get the better, softer, single pour wax, but its only sold in 60 pound blocks, and thats just insane at this point. lol.

Good luck with yours!

This is just a thought. You could eliminate the mold weights. I went to the local hardware store and purchased a foot of chain. After attaching my hold a mold, I wrap the chain around the mold inside the hold a mold. It stays put and is easy to use. Works great for me.

As far as the double boiler you want to use a pot with water in it place a metal cookie cutter or something like that on the bottom to keep your pouring pot up away from the main heat.

Putting a couple of canning jar rings into the bottom pot works like a charm as a double boiler, also. Good luck to you, Leesters

I use a metal measuring cup to hold up my pitcher in the double boiler. lol

I have found the perfect item to hold up the melt pot. A metal candle holder! Hehe. It has three prongs as legs, and has a flat edge that holds a 4 inch candle, so the melt pot will sit real nicely on it. And when I'm not making candles I can use it to burn em. So ginchy! :D

I suggest you start with the concave top molds. The seamless molds don't have a base. With the concave ones there's space on top to secure the wick and still have it sit flat on the table. You'll also have less problems with the flame getting too tall on the first burn.

While you're at it, you could ditch the mold sealer and get some Ace brand metal repair tape. It'll work better and easier with the seamless molds. Really try to get the Ace if you can because there are some crappier tapes out there.

I suggest you start with the concave top molds. The seamless molds don't have a base. With the concave ones there's space on top to secure the wick and still have it sit flat on the table. You'll also have less problems with the flame getting too tall on the first burn.

While you're at it, you could ditch the mold sealer and get some Ace brand metal repair tape. It'll work better and easier with the seamless molds. Really try to get the Ace if you can because there are some crappier tapes out there.

Concave molds it is then. I'd be lost without you guys. Thanks!

Top is right about the metal tape for sealing the wick hole too, I don't know about that brand (I'm in Scotland) but I use something I get here & it is sooooooooo much easier & cleaner than mould seal....& if you are careful when you remove it you can use it again. My kitchen tiles have strips stuck on for re-use.

Sally.

Here's a few more thoughts.

It's probably not a bad idea to buy supplies for multiple projects, but put some of it aside. Even if hurricanes turn out to be "your thing" eventually, maybe just start out with some straightforward pillars to get comfortable with melting and pouring wax. The 'canes entail a more involved and potentially hazardous process. It's an awful lot of hot wax to be slinging around, plus I think you'll want to pick up a Presto pot for that since it requires about 5 lbs of paraffin.

I think the 1260 can be an awesome hurricane wax, but I don't make them very often and each time I tried it with that paraffin I didn't feel I got the additives quite right. You might want to try it with a teaspoon or two per pound of the Universal Additive. That's what I was planning to do next time and I think it could be just the ticket for ensuring good mold release and a perfect surface.