I paid money for this melt pool!!!!!!

My mom got a gorgeous set of pillars for Christmas (shortly before I started making candles), and I was so jealous of them until she actually tried burning them... they have absolutely no hot throw, and even for cold throw you have to pretty much jam your nose into them. She burned them for about 4 hours and the melt pool was only an inch across on a 3" diameter candle.

I'm sure she will be thrilled with my pillars, lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen people burn candles that look exactly like the one in the photo and they have no clue that it isn't suppose to burn that way. I once went to an automotive store and the cashier had a container candle burning that had at least 1-2 inches of wax on the sides and it had burned past the middle of the container. There was thick black soot one side of the container. It appeared that she had never trimmed the wick. I couldn't keep my mouth shut and pointed the problems out to her. She said "Oh, well that's ok I like the way it smells.":undecided

I have come to the conclusion that sometimes some of us can become obsessive about making a perfect candle. Nothing is wrong with striving for perfection but I know I can harp on the slightest little thing when it comes to my candles. I have been doing some testing with a new FO and I keep getting just a bit of hang up on one side. Nothing like what is shown in the photo, just a tiny bit of wax. I have outstanding throw both cold and hot and a melt pool in just the right amount of time. I had to remind myself that compared to alot of the candles I see people using and continue to purchase my little wax hang up ain't nothing! ;)

I just came across this thread, and have a question. I only make gel candles, but purchase alot of paraffin candles over the years. They all look like the picture in this thread. Could someone post a picture of a properly made pillar that has burned as long as this one? I'd love to see what they're supposed to look like.:D

I also purchased jar candles, but I've seen pictures on here of properly burning jars, and I won't buy in the store anymore. A waste of money!

I would like to see one also, I'm used to crappy pillars too:undecided I've seen all of the beautifuly made pre lit ones on here but what should they look like post burn? Thanks

I am not claiming to have the perfect burn, but I am happy with it - here are two pics - one top view next to a wal-mart candle (you'll have to guess which one is mine), and the next is a direct side by side view so that you can see how the candle should consume itself down as it burns:

Oh, and ets that if you look at that first pic and think my wick is extremely crooked, it's just because it's at the end of the burn and it's fallen over to extinguish itself.

Oh, and crap, edited again to say that I forgot to insert the quote of peep asking to see a better burn lol (just so those browsing and don't read all the posts think I'm doing it just for jollies lol)

post-278-139458425082_thumb.jpg

post-278-139458425084_thumb.jpg

I have seen these candles in stores across the country. Just the average kind of candle one would buy while grocery shopping. They come in various sizes and colors and have a pretty little "coin" tied on. Jante is the company. I thought it would be a good idea to buy one and see how an "average" candle burns. We all worry so much about our melt pools and how our candles burn....guess they didn't test this one. (smile)

It has had three, three hour burns. It is tunneling like crazy and getting a bulge. Just found this to be interesting.

Now....I have bought more expensive candles and they burn much better....but again.....this is what is on the shelves for the general public. Donita Louise

Just shows you how hard we come down on ourselves for the tiniest of flaws and yet they sell this sort of a rubbish by the truck load!!

Lisa

I have seen these candles in stores across the country. Just the average kind of candle one would buy while grocery shopping. They come in various sizes and colors and have a pretty little "coin" tied on. Jante is the company. I thought it would be a good idea to buy one and see how an "average" candle burns. We all worry so much about our melt pools and how our candles burn....guess they didn't test this one. (smile)

It has had three, three hour burns. It is tunneling like crazy and getting a bulge. Just found this to be interesting.

Now....I have bought more expensive candles and they burn much better....but again.....this is what is on the shelves for the general public. Donita Louise

I walked into a coffee shop and watched most of the pillar candles billow smoke as I struggled to breathe in there. I wanted to run and find a wick trimmer!

I talked to the owner later and he said that they spend crazy amounts of money on candles. These weren't cheap candles and they did burn strangely. He mentioned that one of the candles he had in there had caught fire on the side! My guess is that the wick fell over and was laying on the side of the pillar or something....

Anyway, I know what you mean about quality candles. I am going to give that coffee shop owner a price on my pillars. I don't know if I can save him money, but he'll have a safer, cleaner burning candle for sure!

Tony

LOL I had someone complain about pillars that burned almost to the edge, when I explained that was how a well made candle should burn, they replied they just wanted one that burned down in the center. Think I should send them to buy some of those ones then.

Sarah:grin2:

Thank you, judyvega, for posting those pics! Never in my life have I had a pi llar that burned like yours, no matter what I spent on them! How much more economical are those, really. To say nothing of the less mess when the candle is done. Do you have a website? I love your candles.

I bought one just like that at one of our large local graocery chains. Have seen them all over the city. Well not only was that burn like that one, the scent was just awful. Very cheap smelling and I had a headache when I burned it. Much to my dismay, when I was in one of the local wax and soapmaking supply stores (attached to their warehouse), they were selling the same ones.

I bought a "Mad Love" pillar candle at Pier 1 and it tunneled right down the middle. No hot throw either. My worst candles have a better scent throw than it did. You would think you could get a good candle at Pier 1.

• 3 months later...

Funny thing is, this is what a good portion of the general public has come to expect. That's why they ask for pillars that tunnel right down the middle. Ever look at container candles in the grocery stores or at Wally's? If you can find one with a centered wick and smooth top you'll be lucky. But you have to remember also that these are MASS produced...mostly in China!

I was so surprised to see this thread pop up. I think there must be a lot of new members on CT since I joined so I will post a picture I took of some candles that I made for a test burn a couple of years ago........ Donita

ps....this was made when I was using Candlewics 4045 wax. They self consumed all of the way down.

post-248-139458432751_thumb.jpg

yes I do feel so much better looking at that pic! My very very first candles didn't test burn that ugly and bad! I am so glad I beat myself up making the best candles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I am having trouble with IGI wax. I haven't done thousands of experiments yet but I was so happy with Candlewics 4045 and 4045H. It alway burned just fine for me with no bulging. I don't like 1343....too much bulge. The 1274 works better for me wicked with 2/0 SB wick. I was using #2 SB with the 4045 wax but it is too large for the 1274 and 1343. IMO......other's seem to have no problem. ???????????? Donita

Please note I am not a maker, But I Buy alot of candles... and Just want to know how I can tell when I'm getting Quailty...LOL...

Thanks In Advance...

Thanks A Bunch...

For the pics People Now, I know how a candle is suppost to burn...

My other questions are as follows...

1.) Does this go for all candles?

2.) Are different candles suppost to do different things? Such as Votives, Tapers, etc?

3.) If so, How are all the types of candles suppose to burn?

First of all, I am wondering; did you write the company to complain, including the pic? Or give them a chance to apologize. I know it's fun to talk about crappy candles that we have bought because we have all gotten some doozies.

If it was a fairly expensive candle I am thinking that the makers are charging for the name. A name whose value they have an interest in preserving. Perhaps the wrong wick got placed in that candle, a Monday or someone having a bad day. It happens. Maybe the quality checker went on vacation. Maybe the person who shipped them wicks labelled them wrong.

Maybe they would like the opportunity to rectify the situation. Maybe they started out with the same passion for making good candles as so many of you here.

I have found that the general guideline about burning an hour for every inch of diameter is only a loose guideline. Depending on the wax, FO, or the many other variables it can take a lot longer.

So if it was underwicked that would have been abundantly clear after the first 3 hour burn. By your pics there is every reason to assume that was the case. I am not doubting you.

I guess since I have bought a lot of cheap candles I am pay attention to what is happening with a candle and if I were in that situation, I would have trimmed the wax off because the wick clearly wasnt there to burn it. And a second burning would have created a situation I didnt want.

A lot of people buy and use candles differently. Some like that shell look, some just buy them for decoration and smell and never burn them unless the electric goes off. So it's pretty hard to make a candle that will make everyone happy.

Personally I would like to hear of an update after you write them. They might not care, but then they might. You would.

Please note I am not a maker, But I Buy alot of candles... and Just want to know how I can tell when I'm getting Quailty...LOL...

Thanks In Advance...

Thanks A Bunch...

2.) Are different candles suppost to do different things? Such as Votives, Tapers, etc?

O-Myo.......the companies in Viet Nam and China don't care if I write them a letter.....I was just showing everyone that most of the candles that are in grocery stores and are cheap are just that.....cheap. The expensive candles that I buy from Illuminations or Illume or Pacificia, Aroma Naturals to name a few are excellent. They burn like a candle should burn. A lot of people who buy candles think that they are all the same so why pay more if you can get it for $6.00. What they don't know is that a top quality $20.00 candle will burn for a long time while the $6.00 one will not only burn out quickly, but look terrible as it is burning. Donita

Thanks In Advance...

Thanks A Bunch...

Just Bumping this incase somebody wants to answer my 3 questions above.

If so, Thanks In Advance.

I have to go to bed it is 2:08am where I live now