2 months later - frosting !!!

Ok !!! I need some good advice here. I made some candles 2 months ago and I went to get some out and they had major frosting. When I put them in the box and stored them away there were NOT frosted !!! Any ideas as to why this is happening??? Tops were smooth, great HT/CT everything. Stored at room temp in my dining room in a closed box.

thanks

annettra

Just the nature of the soy beast. I don't have much frosting since messing around w/ different additives (beeswax helped the most), but you'll generally get more frosting over time. Many customers know that frosting is a sign of a natural candle & have actually asked me why I don't have frosting! <sigh> Ya just can't please everyone.

Susan.

even though you had them stored in your living room, it is still subject to tempurature changes. I know my living room gets real cold at night especually through the winter. The expreme tempurature changes is what causes frosting. The same thing happens if it gets too hot.

even though you had them stored in your living room, it is still subject to tempurature changes. I know my living room gets real cold at night especually through the winter. The expreme tempurature changes is what causes frosting. The same thing happens if it gets too hot.

Yea, thats what I thought but it hasn't been all that cold since I made these candles. I know I had really bad problems this winter when it got super cold for a few weeks but these were made after that. That is what confused me so much, even when it got a little chilly in the house it was never below 65 in here. Any other suggestions or do you think 65 would have done it too ??

I think soy can turn on you if it doesn't like the color of your walls! <ha> Keep this is mind if you ever display in a shop -- you sure can't control if they keep the shop warm or cold overnight or weekends & it could really affect your product. BTW, if you ever figure this out you'll make a fortune. I gave up & embrace the unique qualities of soy.

Susan.

lol TX, i know what you mean I am ready to give up too on certain colors. I just went thru every candle that is in boxes and get this....its only the pink, reds and a few browns. uggggg oh well no big deal, its soy right ! lol

oops forgot to add - its not all the pinks either, maybe it was colder than I thought when I made them

Frosting really bothers me too. I've had some frost 2 mths later also. I think I will stop coloring the ones that frost the worst and just barely color the rest. I'm burning a few candles right now though that I didn't color and I really like they way it looks in the 11oz tumbler.

Do you use liquid dye? My liquid dyes will either develope frost within 24 hours and if it doesn't develope then, it'll appear in a month or two. If you are using liquid dyes try some blocks or chips to see if that helps.

Do you use liquid dye? My liquid dyes will either develope frost within 24 hours and if it doesn't develope then, it'll appear in a month or two. If you are using liquid dyes try some blocks or chips to see if that helps.

Yep I am using liquid dyes. Hmmm does this mean I have to spend more dollars I didn't want to lol.....You do realize I can't just order ONE thing !!!! Ok I am gonna ask what kind do you use and where do ya get em lol....

I got my color blocks from BitterCreek. I like them. The only thing I don't like is I can't get consistant colors from batch to batch. I've recently went dye-free but if I ever go back to coloring I've heard people have a lot of success with the Reddig-glo chips from BitterCreek and soy wax.

I also have the problem of not being able to just order what I need. I needed some wicks from my supplier and ended up trying 4 new FO's, 2 new soap bases, a new container to test but I'm just glad this time I actually remember to order the item I actually needed (the wicks). In the past I've been known to forget the item I was actually shopping for.

See, thats why I went with the liquid dyes in the first place because I read post about consistency with them. I rather have that than frosting tho. I will read up on it again, its been a few months and I have slept since then. Heck I figured it was something I was doing not the dyes but heck its worth a shot, ya never know. thanks for the tip