Wick Poll for GB 444 Wax

I'm needing some ideas here as I'm just a few days into my first container candles. What kind of wick do you prefer to use with your GB 444 wax? I'm looking for one that will not only throw well, but will also keep the sides of my container clean.

There really is no one wick that works best for a particular wax. It depends on alot of variables, such as type of jar, FO used, dye used, ambient temp of burning environment, etc. You can use a certain wick that will clean the sides, but if it cleans the sides in 30 minutes to an hour, and gives you a two-inch deep MP in a four hour burn, that is way too big a wick. It takes alot of experimenting to find the right wick for a given combo of wax/FO/jar.

A better question would be to identify the jar you are using, then ask for a good starting point for a particular wick, such as HTP, LX, RRD, zinc core, cotton core, whatever you might have or are interested in trying.

geek

Okay, to be more specific.......I'm using a 2 1/2" diam. jar with the GB 444 wax. Presently, I'm testing two different FO, using two different wick sizes (C-80 & C-85). The problem I'm encountering is that the cotton-core wicks that I'm using don't seem like they're getting the job done (not getting the wax off the sides), and I'm using the two largest sizes of those wicks. I do have some RRD wicks. Any comments on these kind of wicks?

Typically the cottons will burn pretty hot, as will the RRDs. If you have RRDs, you could try the 50, or 55. I have used the RRD47 in 8 oz Jelly jars, and they are about 2 inches wide. If you try the HTPs, try a 126, or a starting point for 2 1/2 inch in an LX would be a 22.

HTH geek

In answer to a couple of questions......I've been doing about 3 three-hour burns. If there's still quite a bit of wax hang-up, it's hard for me to keep burning, as it seems like if all of that wax above and beside the wick did finally melt, it would drown out the wick. I've been faithful about doing a three-hour burn, then letting the wax solidify, then burning again. Make sense? I'm willing to change out wick sizes, as I've already done that quite a bit. It would be nice, though, to stick with one kind of wick for a while....until I get that kind figured out. Is it asking too much to want my candle to burn evenly across each burn (by the time the 3 hours is up, the melt pool is touching the jar), or every other burn? For example: Yesterday, I started burning a 2 1/2" wide jar of GB 444 with an FO called "Ocean"--I'm using a C-80 wick. After 3 hours of burning, the melt pool had reached the sides of the jar, except for one area. The depth of the melt pool was a little over 1/4". I was happy with that......until today. I've done two 3-hour burns (actually the second burn being close to 4 hours), and the wax hang-up is increasing. Thanks for the help! Golden Brands....I did call and leave a message for Jessica.

I can't help you with the types of wicks you are using. I just wanted to say that the GB 444 has been a pain in the backside to get wicked for me. I have had to really wick up (2 sizes) compared to what I use for 100% soy.

It's the damndest thing I have ever seen. I don't know if I am going to have the patience to tough this wax out and I still have 35 lbs of it sitting here lol.

Good luck, I hope you can find the right wick and lead the rest of us to the "wick pond" lol

I think my next step is to give these RRD wicks a try....since I have them on hand. As Geekrunner mentioned above, I'll probably start with the RRD 50 or 55 for my 2 1/2" jar. I'll let you know how it goes!