Not enough time for a good stir....

I use KY Perfect Blend. I'm heating it to 200 in my Presto, while at the same time warming my pour pot using the double boiler method.

I pour at 150, but I'm barely having enough time for a good stir...the temperature just drops so dang fast...I am literally only getting about 60 seconds to stir before I have to pour.

I have two brand new thermometers (both from Taylor - one digital, one regular) - both seem to be reading the same. Do you think I'm getting an inaccurate reading??

What else can I do? I need more time....

Good job on the Taylors. I find those to be very accurate.

Just keep the double boiler on low heat and put the mixing pot in there to maintain or adjust the temperature. For practical purposes I really think there needs to be a heat source besides whatever you're using for a melting tank. I use an enclosed hotplate with a thermostatic control. A double boiler works fine too.

Once I add my wax, FO, and dye to the pour pot, could I put it back onto the double boiler setup, or would my FO burn off?

I'm on restriction from buying anything else right now...:cry2: ...otherwise, I'd get one of those flat griddle thingies to keep my pour pot warm.

Maybe a better question would be: What is the average time it takes for wax to cool from 200 to 150 if you pour it in a heated pot?

And I only make small batches at a time....would that make the wax cool faster? I'm just hobbying around right now, so I only do one candle at a time so I can play with different scents....

I had about half a slab of the perfect blend left and made some candles with it on Monday. I had the same problem of it cooling really quick after it came out of the presto.

I got my trusty pyrex measuring cup out, popped it in the microwave for about 45 seconds and then poured my wax into it to mix with the color and FO. That did the trick for me and it didn't cool off too quick after that.

Just a low cost alternative to try :D

I had about half a slab of the perfect blend left and made some candles with it on Monday. I had the same problem of it cooling really quick after it came out of the presto.

I got my trusty pyrex measuring cup out, popped it in the microwave for about 45 seconds and then poured my wax into it to mix with the color and FO. That did the trick for me and it didn't cool off too quick after that.

Just a low cost alternative to try :D

Hmmmm....maybe that's just a downside to that type of wax. I will definitely try the pyrex idea....thank you!

Usually when pouring testers I melt a large amount of wax...heat to 190* and then use a large metal measuring cup to dip out the amount of wax I need. I add fragrance at 180* and pour at 150*. When pouring only one 8 oz. tester of different fragrances the wax cools down really fast.

If I'm not in the mood to melt a lot of wax and only want to pour one test candle I'll melt the amount of wax I need double boiler method. I have a 2 burner buffet thingie in my shop that I bought at Walmart really cheap. Once the wax gets to temperature I turn it off and add color and fragrance and let it sit in the pot with water till my thermometer reads 151* and then remove it and pour.

Maggie

Is it safe to microwave something that's empty though?