How to wick a flower pot jar?

I have these glass jars that are labeled "flower pot votive" but the diameter of the jar opening is 4 inches and tapers down to a 2 1/2 inch diameter at the bottom of the jar. I bought them locally for 49 cents each and thought they would be perfect for the spring/summer.

How would I go about wicking these? I will be using GB 415 soy. Do I just wick it based on the opening of the container or allow for it to taper down to the bottom?

Thanks!

Thanks Nancy!!! I have some LX 20's just waiting to be used :D

Now I can pour some candles in these jars tomorrow :whoohoo:

I also have some of the container palm wax scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I think this wax might look great in these jars too (or at least I hope so lol).

I appreciate the help!

Jami

I live in PA. We get our flower pot votives at a craft store called AC Moore. They are normally about $.45 , but a lot of times you can get them on sale for $.25. We get lids for them at BitterCreek North. I believe they also sell the flower pots, but we get them locally to save on the shipping.

The flower pots on Bittercreek are the small size (2 1/4" wide) which I bought as well for 25 cents but the ones I had a question about were twice the size (4" wide).

I have a place local called Old Time Pottery. I find all kinds of glass containers to make candles in for VERY low prices every day :D

I like making candles in a variety of jars even though the bulk are done in the wide mouth and regular jelly jars.

It's not a problem :D I actually had decided after seeing pictures of the glass glow palm wax that I ordered the other day to hold off and use some of these jars to test the new wax.

I did decide to basically split the difference in the size of the top and bottom of the container which would be around 3" inches and gear wicking towards that and see how it works. My concern if I wick too big that once it gets to the bottom half of the jar would be a melt pool and the glass would be too hot. If I wick for a smaller measurement then maybe anything left on the top of the container will catch up as it gets to the bottom. Not sure how that theory is going to work but it's worth a shot lol.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It has helped me with the smaller flower pot containers that I have just sitting there :grin2:

I did decide to basically split the difference in the size of the top and bottom of the container which would be around 3" inches and gear wicking towards that and see how it works. My concern if I wick too big that once it gets to the bottom half of the jar would be a melt pool and the glass would be too hot. If I wick for a smaller measurement then maybe anything left on the top of the container will catch up as it gets to the bottom. Not sure how that theory is going to work but it's worth a shot lol.

I don't use flower pots but your idea sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.

I just bought the small ones yesterday so I needed that info:highfive: thanks got them at old time pottery for .33 each don't you just love that store:D I buy the heavy goblets when they have them on sell for .88 cents and they look so terrific, the ones that look like heavy crystal you will have to try those sometime since you have a store nearby:wink2:

II buy the heavy goblets when they have them on sell for .88 cents and they look so terrific, the ones that look like heavy crystal you will have to try those sometime since you have a store nearby:wink2:

Ok you caught my attention lol I don't think I have even looked at the goblets as an idea for candles. I can see me running to Old Time Pottery in the next few days to check out all their goblets too :yay:

So, how do you wick the goblets? lol I just love finding new and creative ideas!!! It's pretty sad when I spend hours in a store looking up and down each isle to find SOMETHING that I think I can make a candle in, not that I am addicted or anything :whistle: