Your input on heat guns..

So, what does a first timer look for in a heat gun? Will any of the 20 dollar models work? Should I make sure I get certain attachments? There are heat guns with 700 and 1000 degree settings, is that what you pros use?

Have you tried different kinds, and some didn't work out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. =)

I have one from Wal-Mart, also in the $20-$25 range. It came with several attachments and I've never used even one of them! I believe mine is a Wagner, which I think is a good brand and I can't imagine how I got by without it--I think it must be the best candle-related purchase I ever made!

I buy several at a time from Wagner. They are reconditioned. Actually they are new but ones that people returned for one reason or another. I ordered several reducers from them. It narrows the air flow so I can direct the heat exactly where I want it. It is my favorite tool. Donita Louise

When I first started using them in 1994....it was my daughter's idea. She used my embossing tool to take wax off of the sea shells. We burned that one up in a week. So.....just get a regular heat gun....for stripping paint etc. They usually last for a long long time. Donita Louise

are these the industrial type ones you all buy ie for home decorating or the embossing ones?? this will be one of my next purchases after a melting pot and was just curious as to which is best type

I had the use of an embossing gun until I got myself a decorating one.

The decorating one is so much quicker.

I got mine for £6.99 in LIDL & love it.

Sally.

I actually bought my heat gun at Big Lots for $9.99 (where the house tools were) six months ago and its still going strong. I use it all the time for those "ugly tops" I get from my 444.

I think a heat gun is a MUST for candle makers. :D

I bought mine at Ocean State Job Lot for $4.99. It doesn't have any attachments or special features. It has a narrow opening allowing me to direct the heat where it is needed. That is all I need. I use it for marbling, smoothing containers, preheating containers and shrink wrapping. When I bought it I planned on getting a better one later, but found out I didn't need a better one.

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools in your area they have them for $9.99. Here's their addy www.HarborFreightusa.com

I bought 2 forthat price. The one I'm using knowI got from them. Have had no problem.

clc404

:highfive: Yeah, Harbor Freight. You can also get the infra red thermometers there for about $30. They are whey better then constantly cleaning off Mercury's and very accurate.

It doesn't have to be a high powered heat gun. Just enough to reach melting point for candle tops. Yes, home depot has them in the paint section for about $24 Milwaukee brand.

I too bought a Wagner after I burnt up a supposed commercial one. This is one for stripping paint and it can shrink wrap all day and be fine. Think I paid $30 but was on sale at Lowes.. reg $39.95. So much better because the settings are adjustable.. and it blows gently on low so I dont have things shrinking too fast and tearing holes in the shrink.