Soy questions

I would like to try making soy candles. I have been making container candles for about 4 months using 4786. Since I'm a newbie, I would like to know about how many 8oz. jelly jars I would get from 10 pounds of soy and where the best place is that I could order from. I live in Indiana.

Welcome fellow Hoosier. Where are you in IN? I'm in Leo, north of Ft. Wayne.

To answer your question, I typed in 24 for 8 oz jars into my program and it said you would need 9lb 8.64 oz to do that many jars. I don't know if that is exact but it will give you an idea. I get GB 444 from Gateway foods, but you have to buy 50lbs at a time. Millcreek also sells it so try them for smaller amounts. Gateway is further away from me, but it works out to be a couple dollars cheaper than MC after shipping. Go figure. Millcreek is also good to work with and have some great FO's.

Hi fellow Hoosier. I am in Tipton, about 20 miles south of Kokomo. Thanks for the info. Now I have to get up the nerve to try it. Ha. I'm sure that I will have a lot more questions after I get thru reading everything about soy. Thanks again.

I'm brand new to soy candle making. I can't seem to get a good scent throw in any of my candles. I use Cargill C3 soy wax. I heat to 180, add my color and scent and pour at 140. I add 1 oz to 1 pound of wax.

What am I doing wrong? Is it the brand of fragrance that I'm using? Should I use oil or fragrance (please recommend).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!1

You know, I don't know but my GB444 is $52 with shipping. Which I think is about $35.00 per 50#. I haven't seen a real price list from them but the customer service I get is worth staying with them. Kris will do whatever she can to help you. I would recommend calling her to get a quote.

Brenny where are you in Indiana you could probably be able to make periodic trips to Millcreek. Start out with their soy125 which is GB415. It's best to try an all soy before you work up to the container blends because its pretty consistant with the pouring temp and texture when pouring into a container. The container bends tend to be more tempermental if you haven't worked with soy before. Millcreek is a great supplier. They are also ranked one of the better suppliers for FO on this site for soy and they are very reasonably priced for both wax and fragrance oils. Ask some of the older members.

There is also Indiana candle supplies alot of members love their products. You can find all the most popular sites here and the ones closest to you.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5492

Thanks Stacy, I live in central IN about 45 miles north of Indianapolis. I am definately gonna try Mill Creek. I also want really good FO's. Right now I buy wax from Candle Science and FO's from Cajun. So if Mill Creek has both thats great.

Thanks again

Brenny

mariascandles, I don't see where you are from, so don't know where would be the closest to you - look through the forum and you will find some of the same supplier names cropping up time after time. Just By Nature, Peak's and a host of other places carry reliably good fragrance oils.