Anyone else confused by "blend" term?

:cry2: OK I'm having a problem with some of the posts.

In my mind:

SOY is 100% soy

SOY BLEND is 100% soy blended with additives (like GB444, CB135, etc.)

I understand PARAFFIN

I understand PARASOY (paraffin and soy blended together)

Does it seem to any of you that the term BLEND is also being used to describe parasoy?

Does it seem SOY is being used to describe BOTH the 100% and the soy blend?

As a relative newbie it gets me really confused when I'm reading SOY BLEND and then I realize they actually are posting about PARASOY.

Am I the one who is confusseled?

Does it seem SOY is being used to describe BOTH the 100% and the soy blend?

I'm really glad you asked this question because I agree that it gets confusing. I'll see a post referencing not to do something with soy wax, but then it turns out that it doesn't apply to parasoy (which is what I use)

I've heard numerous people suggest that there be a "parasoy" board...this would definitely clear up the confusion for alot of people. You should take a vote! :)

Will be looking forward to reading what the others have to say....

A "container candle" is a candle that is contained. A pillar is NOT contained; it can run all over the place. That's pretty clear. I call my 223/soy a "soy blend." It sounds like what customers want to hear. A blend is a mix of whatever. Carole

A "container candle" is a candle that is contained. A pillar is NOT contained; it can run all over the place. That's pretty clear. I call my 223/soy a "soy blend." It sounds like what customers want to hear. A blend is a mix of whatever. Carole

Bugtussle,

Thank you, obviously, "container candle" speaks for itself. I'll have to go back and see where my confusion came in. I can't remember what terminology was being used that confused me. I can see it couldn't possibly have been "container". lol

Some posts weren't clear as to whether the poster is speaking of a pillar or a container candle. I suppose that may be due to the fact some have posted longer than others and recognize that.

As this Board seems to have been up for a while, I'm sure how it is operating now is fine and some us will catch on as we read and post.

Thanks again!

I've never, ever taken the term "blend" to mean soy, with additives.

PRE-Blend, yes. That is the general term for a wax (guess it could be soy, but is usually paraffin) that has additives mixed in like vybar, stearic, etc.

BLEND is generally accepted as meaning a blend of some percentage of paraffin, soy, veggie, whatever. Parasoy is also widely used to describe a paraffin/soy blend.

Then there is the confusion of the retail marketing.

Some retail sites & stores call a soy blend candle (weither a bunch of soy mixed or soy mixed with paraffin) soy candles. They claim any candle over 50% soy is a soy candle. That is just a way of marketing their product, even tho it isn't right. So if a Vegan wants to buy an all natural candle they may not be getting 100% natural or soy.

I would say the terms are loosley used. This is what I think it should be, but not always so and some can have mor than one meaning...

• Soy Candle - A candle with any amount of soy in it.
  • 100% Soy - A candle made of 100% soy.
  • Natural Soy Wax Candle - I would think it to be 100% soy, but that is a loose term and could be a candle with any amount of soy. They just call it that to make it sound better and hopefull to sell more product.
  • Soy Blend Candle - A soy candle blended with any other wax or additive.
  • ParaSoy Candle - A paraffin and soy candle with any % of the two.

Just something to think about.

PRE-Blend, yes. That is the general term for a wax (guess it could be soy, but is usually paraffin) that has additives mixed in like vybar, stearic, etc.

BLEND is generally accepted as meaning a blend of some percentage of paraffin, soy, veggie, whatever. Parasoy is also widely used to describe a paraffin/soy blend.

This is my way of looking at it...

Then again... no matter what each person considers to be the accurate description, there will always be others who think it's something else.

If people would state specifically what they're using, it would be less confusing. That wont ever happen though. Sometimes getting information is like pulling teeth. Especially with new people who pop in and say "I made a candle yesterday and it doesn't smell very strong, why?" They don't mention even the type of candle, wax, wick anything, let alone the specifics...lol

*hops down off the soapbox now* :)

Wow I never knew that by me mixing soy/parafin I was actually making parasoy. I have been mixing 50/50 and recently testing 80/20 soy/parafin. I noticed doing half of both requires a second pour. Then when I did it soy 80% and parafin 20% it didn't need another pour. I haven't burned the candle yet so don't know if it'll work. Thanks for this post now I know the different terms.

Lets get confused even more here. LOL

You can also look at it this way with these

To me all the 1's below would be the same thing.

If they all have Soy in, then why can't you just call them all a soy blend?

Why come up with different names for them all?

Soy in a candle is a soy blend no matter how you look at it.

why would a candle with paraffin in be called parasoy?

Anything mixed is just that...A blend...

Right? :undecided

Soy Candle - A candle with any amount of soy in it.

Soy Blend Candle - A soy candle blended with any other wax or additive.

ParaSoy Candle - A paraffin and soy candle with any % of the two.

Anyone more confused now? :undecided

Soy Candle - A candle with any amount of soy in it.

Soy Blend Candle - A soy candle blended with any other wax or additive.

ParaSoy Candle - A paraffin and soy candle with any % of the two.

Anyone more confused now? :undecided

I am. :confused: Are we saying then that we can call a candle with 95% paraffin + 5% soy wax a SOY candle? I can see calling it parasoy, or even a soy blend, but is it a SOY candle at that ratio? Are we talking about definitions used for marketing purposes, or terms we would use here at CT?

(no snippy tone intended here, really:wink2: )

I am. :confused: Are we saying then that we can call a candle with 95% paraffin + 5% soy wax a SOY candle? I can see calling it parasoy, or even a soy blend, but is it a SOY candle at that ratio? Are we talking about definitions used for marketing purposes, or terms we would use here at CT?

(no snippy tone intended here, really:wink2: )

No snippyiness taken :D

Nope. I'm just as confused as you are, really...

I just call mine a blend when people ask.

They ask if it's soy. I say not 100%, it is a blend with soy...

I don't really know what the real names would be...

Just blends to me.:undecided

I call mine a blend too, soy blend. It's soy and paraffin. My personal opinion though- for what it's worth- is that if the candle is not 100% soy wax (no paraffin or other type of wax) then it is not ethical to call it a soy candle. I know there are members here that have a strong opinion about this but they probably spend more time in the veggie section. I think that any candle containing paraffin should be called parasoy or blend. It would be misleading to call my candle a soy candle when I mix waxes. And I always tell people that it's a mix. Other people make soy candles, I don't. JMO

Marketing a candle as soy might be more profitable, but for the sake of CTers and termonology around here, well, I'd be really suprised if the majority agreed with soy, parasoy and blend being the same thing. Soy is soy. (Sounds silly if you say it too much, Lol....)

IMO, if I was using paraffin with a lesser amount of soy added I would call it a Parasoy and if I was using a soywax with a lesser amount of paraffin I would call it a Soyaffin. Makes sense to me...the wax with the highest % would be in the first part of the name...if I was using all paraffin with some additives, that I would call a paraffin blend wax. (and if we get any new forums here I am voting for a 'wickless' forum...that I feel is very much needed!)

:cry2: I think this horse may just about be dead - BUT here are some descriptions I've copied from suppliers:

BCN:EZ Soy - Candle Blend Flakes (soy w/additives)

Astorlite Blend - (soy w/ additives)

IGI Paraffin - (paraffin pre-blended w/additives)

CB-135 (vegetable wax w/botanical Oils)

TCS: Celestial - 100% soy

Celestial soy blend (soy & paraffin)

TN 70/30 (soy & paraffin blend)

KY: Natural Wax 125 (soybean w/Cottonseed)

Perfect Blend (soy w/paraffin)

Paraffin Blend (no explanation)

Para-Soy (blend of soy & paraffin)

So if the suppliers can't get their descriptions together - :confused: How can we?

Thanks for your input - enjoyed reading them all!!

BCN:EZ Soy - Candle Blend Flakes (soy w/additives)

So if the suppliers can't get their descriptions together - :confused: How can we?

Thanks for your input - enjoyed reading them all!!

Hey where did you read that ezsoy is a blend with additives? I checked the bcn site and it says 100% soy....I think they had an old version of ezsoy that used additives, but not the current ezsoy.....:confused:

:embarasse SO SORRY, So-Soy - My bad!! On the Bitter Creek South site it just says Candle Blend flakes - and doesn't mention anything about additives.

It's just so confusing - now a blend that isn't blended with anything but other soy? I quit!