Does this happen to you?

I just need to vent...

I've been making candles now for about 4 years. Actually wait, let me rephrase that...I've been TESTING candles now for about 4 years as it seems that's all I really have done :tongue2: but I love it, it's my favorite hobby and I enjoy the challenge. It seems a lot of people on here sell their candles but I'm just a hobbyist and am happy at keeping at that for now.

Since this is just a hobby for me, I typically don't have the need to buy any supplies in bulk unless it is going to save me (and just me cuz I'm not even comfortable with giving my candles to family or friends yet) - a good amount of money. I pretty much do everything I can to keep costs low - as we all are painfully aware this isn't exactly a cheap hobby, you know?!

I reside near St Paul/Minneapolis and fortunately there happens to be a couple of fragrance suppliers in my local area. Neither of them have actual stores where local customers can shop but instead have online businesses only. One of them is absolutely great to work with - in fact even though they don't have a store, they offered to meet up to allow me to sniff their scents before buying, etc. The other, not so much. They won't even allow me to pick my order up from them, they insist on shipping it and their shipping prices are out of this world IMO. There is a flat fee of almost 10 dollars on every order and the price just goes up from there depending on the size of the order. In other words, I just paid over 10 dollars in shipping for 5 ounces of fragrance oil (sampler pack) from a company that is not even 10 minutes from my office!! :mad: I would have just cancelled the order but I've heard great reviews about this particular manufacturer so I really wanted to try their oils out. The final cost of my order (again for only 5 oz of oil) was a about 40 dollars!!

It's just really frustrating. I was wondering A - if any one else suffers from local companies that refuse to allow customer pickups (is this normal) and B - if any one knows why they do this? I'm sure there's a reason I just don't know what it is. All I know is that it frustrates the heck out of me!!

Ok, vent is over..thanks for listening :)

Man I hate that for you. I live near a large city and have 4 suppliers that I can drive to in less than 1 hour. All of them have showrooms and welcome customers into their space. I am sure that the supplier that does not allow pickups has an issue with their insurance or their facility. Perhaps they have their supplier's labels on everything and don't want that information to get out.

Good luck - I love living near a huge city!

Dat

It doesn't matter how reputable a company is said to be ... if they are 10 minutes down the street and don't want you around, guess they don't want your business either ... that's how I would look at it. Now see if you were in my shoes where they are 100s of miles away ... then they probably get those glowing reports.

It could very well be that there location is not zoned to have actual retail customers. We have a zone here that you can store stuff and ship but are not allowed to have customers come to your property to buy. That's not even taking into account that insurance goes up if you have customers on your property as well. Lots of reasons why they wouldn't want you to come to the property that are legitamate reasons. But I think if I were them I would find a solution since you are that close. Heck, I'd even be willing to drive it over to you real quick. :)

Thanks you guys for all your responses. It really helps to have a better idea of where the company is likely coming from behind this policy of theirs rather than saying to me "it's our policy" like they did and leaving it at that. When they did that, my mind immediately thought - oh so what you're telling me is, this is how you've setup your company to treat your customers. A simple explanation from them of "why" they don't allow customer pickups would have resolved all hard feelings.

Word of advice for all the business owners out there - a little explanation goes a long way ;)

I figure this, I'll give the oils a chance and if they're not anything better than my other suppliers then at least I'll know and no longer question how good they are - it's all about living and learning, right?! Besides, to be honest, they have the most expensive oils I've ever purchased so a part of me hopes that I hate 'em! :)

I have yet to find a Candle Fragrance Oil worth this. I think you need to "rethink" purchases like this one. It just doesn't make sense to me. Keep us posted!

I hear ya! I'll probably feel the same but I figure I'll never really know and will keep on wondering until I give 'em a try :undecided

"I have yet to find a Candle Fragrance Oil worth this. I think you need to "rethink" purchases like this one. It just doesn't make sense to me. Keep us posted!"

I hear ya! I'll probably feel the same but I figure I'll never really know and will keep on wondering until I give 'em a try :undecided