A Newbies Blog....

Hehe, thank you. I figured that would get a laugh or two, and I'm so excited. I can't wait to get started. I have found (out of copyright, so shhh) some great western prints online, and copied them to paint.

I will be playing with them to wrap them completely around in the hurricane mold so they'll stay. Hopefully. And I also have some Arizona Cardinal wrap-arounds made also.

New Candle supplies, NFL draft is tomorrow, and I hit my sales goal at work for the month today.

I'm just happier than a puppy with two peters!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Lee! You got me all excited there when I read there was a big candle supplier in Phoenix! I have been doing this for five years and thought that I was missing something! I order from quite a few places and haven't found one I really go back to in AZ.

I am down in Southeast AZ. You will be in my neck of the woods when you come to Tombstone and Kartchner. I love the caverns, have gone there several times and we do field trips there every year. Wait till you meet the guides, if you don't follow orders, their looks will kill! I know from experience--I always take the kids we call "pistols" so the parents don't have to chaperone problem kids and I think they eat "pistols" at the caverns! Fun trip none the less. Tombstone is neat as well. You will probably appreciate our cooler weather because of the altitude. That is what I like about it--Phoenix is always a killer for me, not used to it being THAT hot.

Anyway, have fun with the candle making and visiting southern Arizona. ;)

Woo, another chime in from an Arizona gal!

Will be staying in Bisbee, at the Queens ..uh.. forgot the name, how lame! The Copper Queen. There we go. Old hotel since the beginning of the town. Over 100 years old! They say its haunted too. Saw a pic of a guest on TripAdviser.com where he caught an orb on film. I'll be taking pics. lol.

We just hijacked this thread, but nice to hear from you. :)

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

ok from now on when I read your posts it will NOT be as I am drinking a diet coke. Thanks for making me clean my monitor! lol

Coffee is a bad idea too. That monitor needed cleaning anyway. *taps on glass through the cyberspace* Looks much better, but I think you missed some sticky stuff in the corner there. :cool2:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I am soo glad you are having fun Leesters! I got a box from Peaks today and I forgot they give you samples, I got some Orange Chiffon Cake too! Isnt it great they do that?

Have a great weekend!

That was the frosting on the candle, right there. I wonder if its a heavy or light oil, eh? It smells great though! Made me go buy a donut. :cool2:

Coffee is a bad idea too. That monitor needed cleaning anyway. *taps on glass through the cyberspace* Looks much better, but I think you missed some sticky stuff in the corner there. :cool2:

Beer cleans the moniter, too! LOL (You know, just guessing!):laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I am really enjoying your adventures into candle making, I hope to read more. You obviously have a great sense of humor, which you will need when you screw up your candles, can't get them out of the mold, etc.

PS how the the weekend trip to Tombstone, I'm jealous. Can we go to Sedona next?:D

Sedona was last weekend. We did a horseback cowboy cookout and it was a blast. Went to a big ranch there, and did a sunset horseback trail ride, and then they took us to the top of a mountain and had a campfire while they fed us steaks, corn bread, baked potatos, corn, and peach cobbler. It was great. There was a cowboy singer with guitar as we cooked marshmellows in the star filled sky. I strongly advise the cowboy cookout experience if you like horseback riding. My boy had a blast.

Tombstone was okay, but Bisbee and Kartchner Caverns were better. The cave was amazing. And I want to move to Bisbee an start a candle store. lol. Dreaming, but what a life that would be. I just love that town. The hotel was 100 years old, and I took lots of pictures hoping for ghosts on film, and my boy had a blast again. I probably wouldn't go to Tombstone again, but it was neat to see it. But I'd love to go back to Bisbee and see the other room of the caves that is closed because the bats are living there in the summer.

Next weekend will be Grand Canyon Railway, as he's never been on that, and thats just a very pretty ride on a neat train, and well... The Grand Canyon speaks for itself.

I only get him every other weekend, so I try to make the best of it. But this weekend I'm going to be making candles. My first ones.

And I expect complete disasters that should be fun to read for veteran candlemakers. Hehe.

They won't. lol

I can read these forums until sunrise, but until you actually do something, you can't really learn much. Kinda like trying to learn to play the piano by reading a book.

I will have to slice up my thumbs, spill melted wax on the dog, and ruin some clothes with liquid dyes before I even start to make anything worthy. Hopefully I won't burn the house down.

But I'll try to get pictures of the disasters so everyone can chuckle at the disaster-pictures along with the disaster-stories. Unfortunately, my digital camera is lost somewhere between here and Sedona, and its not calling home. I'll have to get a new one.

The cool thing is that I'll have this thread as a little journal for notes on pouring temps and waxes and formulas used, etc etc.

Anyway, when I start making disasters is when this thread is going to get truly entertaining. Hehe.

So did ya make anything yet?:D

I made an insert, does that count? ;)

No, I have not melted one ounce of wax yet. Still a wax virgin. I hope the process is gentle to me. :cool2:

I will burn my fingers this weekend.

WOW!!! you are sooo patient. The minute my wax arrived I had to play, I couldnt wait and made a total mess of my kitchen, from which I have been banned...lol. I started playing with my DH's good pots, a good pyrex cup, and good spoons, boy did I get in trouble. I jumped before I learned that you should have seperate stuff for your candles. Didn't even think that the FO would make the food taste like perfume:D DUH!!! Now I have a little workspace in the basement away from HIS KITCHEN Best of luck to you.

I am new to candle making and want to start right away. I have a dream of starting my own business from home and making my own candles. Anyone got any advice or references that you can provide me and directing me at where i need to start?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Nicole

I am new to candle making and want to start right away. I have a dream of starting my own business from home and making my own candles. Anyone got any advice or references that you can provide me and directing me at where i need to start?

Nicole

Read, read and read some more!!! Do all of the research you can, lots of useful info here on CT. It would be best to order a kit to start with. What kind of candles do you want to start making?

Nicole

1) Read about all the different candles these guys make, and see what interests you to get started.

2) Look at the "Links for newbies" sticky on this forum, and there's all kinds of good sites to look at. Also, pour through this forum for conversations from pros.

3) Read all the "How-to" sites you can on different processes. (There are some on this site, but I'm assuming you have already checked it out since you found the forum) Go Google crazy.

And use the pros in this forum to answer questions, they are amazing. Use the search button and you can usually find tons of topics. I've asked some real newbie questions, and always have patient help.

wow lee you are truely great when it comes to writing so I am postive your candles are going to turn out awesome. You seem to know what you are already doing before you even have poured because you have read so much and that is so important when it comes to canlde making.

I can't wait to see the results and your weekend trips sound so fun, we are thinking of moving to AZ so its nice to read the great stuff they have for the kids. (I myself want NV though lol cause there is no state tax lol)

wow lee you are truely great when it comes to writing so I am postive your candles are going to turn out awesome. You seem to know what you are already doing before you even have poured because you have read so much and that is so important when it comes to canlde making.

I can't wait to see the results and your weekend trips sound so fun, we are thinking of moving to AZ so its nice to read the great stuff they have for the kids. (I myself want NV though lol cause there is no state tax lol)

Hmm... Lets weigh the options.

Raising a kid where gambling is rampant and prostitution is legal...

Or no state tax...(but you know they get the money from SOMEwhere, probably from higher sales taxes, gasoline taxes, etc)

Hmmmmmmmmmm.. *scratches chin* I know where I'd pick. Hehe. :cheesy2:

I'm biased. I love Arizona. :D

Hi Leesters, Enjoying reading your blog, you have such a great writing style and a great sense of humour to. So tell me Leesters have you made your first candle yet?

Nope not yet. Today I had a failed attempt and trying to get the picture I'm using wrapped around on one legal size strip.

Legal size paper still isn't big enough, so I'm going to have to struggle with taping two pieces together.

I did have fun wasting plenty of time taking two copies of the picture look like one picture with an editor though. lol.

I will be attempting my first max welt this weekend.

Thank you for the compliments. :)