A Newbies Blog....

It all started when I took my 9 year old boy to a Rennaissance Festival here in Phoenix Arizona. There was a little booth there where you buy a glass container, and have fun by filling it with layers of colored powdered wax. It was quite fun. It was quite cool. Layers of color, and a candle we would never burn. The young tyke was so proud of his creation, he couldn't wait to take it home to his mom.

When we got home, he dropped it on the kitched floor and an explosion of color sent a rainbow of wax shavings immensing the entire floor. Quite a sight, really. It was a sight I won't forget soon. Needless to say, my son did not enjoy the scene. He was very upset that he lost his newly made candle, and the worst part about it was that it was completely his fault. You know how that goes. It makes it worse when you have no one else to blame.

So, I promised him we'll make a new candle from home. A real one. With melted wax, layered colors, and fragrance to boot. The real deal. Like my mom used to do.

So the research begins. Googling "candle making" brings me to a few sites giving instructions on doing candles. And goodness, look at all the different candle types! Container, Voltives, fragrance oils, Parafin, Searin, pouring temps, ice candles, chunk candles, mottled, rustic, 14000 types of wicks, 18 types of wax, and only about a billion fragrance types.

My googling brings me here. And I've been reading you people for the last week. As you can imagine, I'm quite overwhelmed with information without ever pouring a single mold.

In fact, I might be the most knowledgable wax virgin on the face of the planet when it comes to candle making.

So, it all starts here. Since this is such a cool forum, I figured I'd start my journal here. My blog, so to speak.

Here I shall let you watch a wax virgin pour his first mold. You'll hear all the stories of a newbie candle maker with a wicked writing style. From my first purchase at the hobby shop, all the way through my successes and failures. If you don't like to read, this will not the thread for you.

Next weekend, I start my journey of slicing my thumbs with newly purchased metal molds, cursed attempts at attempting to make rustic candles in a desert, frustrated attempts at getting the perfect color, and of course, a myriad of desperate pleas for help and advise.

And, hopefully, I won't be telling you about how I burned down my house with my new heat gun.

I hope you enjoy my journey as much as I've been reading yours.

Stay tuned. This weekend, I take my son to Sedona for a Cowboy cookout.

Next weekend is all mine, and I'll be making my first candle. I will be attempting rustic candles. Naive? Brave? Nah. Just hopeful.

Till then, I'll be reading you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your newest newbie,

Lee in Phoenix.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's time. On Saturday, I"ll be purchasing a gaggle of supplies from a very big candle supply shop I tracked down here in the big city (they say they have everything I can imagine), and Sunday I'll be attempting to keep the house from burning down.

I've put alot of thought into this, and have my first projects in mind. First and foremost, I will prepare for personal use of candles. As you long timers would be hard pressed to imagine with hundreds of candles overflowing your homes, I have not one candle in my house.

So, I must make a couple hurricanes to start. I will be using hurricane wax, using a metal cane mold insert to put in some crafty twigs for inserts. I have a western room and want it to look very western. I'm expecting success here. Unless I spill the whole project in the water bath, that is.

Then I plan to saturate container wax with as much yummy vanilla and equally yummy cinnimon FO as it will take, and pour them in cute little glass jars for my immediate pleasure.

I'm NOT expecting success here.

I'm anticipating zero glass adhesion (will try to heat the glass a little before I pour, let the wax cool a little before I pour, and get creative on my attempt at slow cooling them... somehow... *imagines an oven full of glass jars on warm*) ,

I'm anticipating wax spills, ugly sink holes, burned fingers and ruined wick tabs as I prove my inexperience.

But if all goes swimmingly, I'll even try my hand at my first pillars with deep red dye, with blue stripes down the side of the mold (I read it will convect downwards in a stripe) and water bath them quick while I'm whacking it with my wooden spoon. I'll let them cool slowly and will be using as much additive as allowed and will probably try to heat gun the sides while cooling, because I want a nice shiny candle for my first try.

I have a shopping list of 2 oz of FO's, 2 hurricane molds with insert, some kind of crafty twigs or leaves or something for a hurricane filler with a western feel, 3 pillar molds, a case of cute glass jars, Mold Sealer, heat gun, hurricane wax, container wax, pillar wax, Universal additive, Wicks, Pouring pot, Thermometer, stearic acid, red, blue, yellow and brown dye....

And I won't forget the bandaids or fire extinguisher.

Wish me luck!

Noted. From what I'm reading, the low melt soft container wax throws scent pretty good, so I'll just follow the directions there. Gonna try the additive on the high side of the suggested range for the pillars as I'm sure I'm going to be having a bubble issue with being all new and stupid and all. :D

Thanks for the tip. :)

Welcome, Our choice of interest is very very addictive, and satisfying. I am also a newbie at the game and I cant get enough, there is just not enough hours in the day for me.

The only advice I can give you Leesters is Plan things before you jump in, which im sure you have already done, make sure you have the time and ALWAYS keep note of everything you use and everything you do.

All the wonderful people on this forum are always here to help and trust me I honestly do not think that there is a question you could ask they cant answer, there all stars in my opinion.

I often wonder just how many years experience there is on this board.

Looking forward to hearing how your getting on, Good luck

What a dissapointment.

I went to the "candle store" where the stupid clerk said they had a store full of candle making supplies, and it turned out they had nothing but already made candles, and one itty bitty shelf of some silly, cheap candle making kits.

So, I called around. You would think in the 6th biggest city in the country I could find ONE store that sold candle supplies. Well, the only thing I found was Michaels. 2 small shelves, and all they had was one generic type of wax, molds that were 30 bucks a piece, and (I"m assuming) some really cheap fragrances. And there's the cheap candle making kits, and some other cheap things. They did have some other things, but I'm sure you all are well aware of what Micheals carries.

Needless to say, I was not impressed. I was actually quite bummed. Even with shipping costs, Peaks is the best way to go. Or whatever that site is called. I am not paying 100 dollars freight, so I'm just gonna order it ground, and hopefully it will get to me within 2 weeks, which is my next weekend all by myself.

I even struggled to find exactly what I was looking for on the hurricane mold crafty inserts. I want exactly what they made on the hurricane instructions on here. I just couldn't find anything "perfect", but I won't be deterred.

I was really looking forward to stocking up with goodies. They didn't even have one hurricane mold, and of course no hurricane high melt wax. The only thing I would consider buying there is the pour pot kit.

So, I'm off to order a cart full of stuff from Peaks, (for some reason, I don't think thats the right name, so I hope I can find the website at home) and just wait it out. It will be worth it. That website has everything.

I'm NOT spending 30 bucks on a cheap metal mold with sharper edges than my kitchen knives.

I can slice my fingers up for much less than that.

Welcome to the board! Good choice, supplier wise. You can't go wrong with Peaks. Even with shipping (and I live in the east) they are my all time, favorite supplier!

As other's have mentioned, this is addicting! I started out like you, just wanting to make a few candles for myself. I think most of us who really love what we're doing, and are serious about making a good, safe candle started this way. It's those who get into this just to make a quick buck that we worry about because quality and safety doesn't always mean as much to them as it does to the rest of us.

If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask! This is a great place to learn with lots of good people willing to help you along the way!

Ohh dear, what a disappointment for you.! Isn't it just awful when you get yourself all geared up to go and buy some particular thing, have money in pocket ready and willing to spend and then can't find the things you want. I have terrible trouble sourcing supplies and the worst thing is having to wait sooo long for stuff to be shipped from overseas. I hope the postie does a speedy job and gets your stuff to you asap.

Awww Leesters, I'm sorry you haven't got your "stuff" yet, I was looking forward to reading about your exploits.

I like your style!

I've only tried some of Peaks F.O's which are fab. so I can't vouch for any of their other stuff, but if like others say you'll get on fine with things from them.

I'm in Scotland & believe me you will hear many of us UK chandlers groaning about the lack of good suppliers over here.

Good luck in your quest & hope you have as much fun as I do.

Sally.

Woo hoo! I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! I ordered my first candle supply from Peaks two days ago, and went with the cheapest shipping option, ground, figuring it would be at least a week till I got my goodies.

A very big box filled with lots and lots of popcorn showed up at my place today, and I couldn't wait to rip it open!

Digging through the popcorn was almost as fun as cleaning it all off the floor. ;)

Amidst my hurricane wax, container wax, red blue yellow and brown dyes, 2 hurricane molds w/insert, stearic acid, universal additive, vanilla and cinammon FO, and 3 sample wick packs, was a very nice handwritten note from some lady (not a guys handwriting) from Peaks thanking me for my first order, and wishing me fun.

Also included was a FO catalog and a free bottle of Orange Cake smelly stuff! Thanks Peak, you have a happy customer! Fast shipping, and free FO! Everything was included, and I was happy.

After my giddiness I went to dump my box and all its popcorn in the big dumpster outside my apartment, and as I dumped, I saw 4 black things dump along with it. As I peered into the empty dumpster, I noticed they were eyedroppers. Oh no!

Now, if you can imagine a 40 year old man climbing into a trash dumpster for eyedroppers, you have pictured the next scene.

But I'm still so excited, I had to come here and post before I took a shower.

:D

This weekend I have my boy, and have planned a road trip to Tombstone, a ghost town and Kartchner Caverns, so my supplies must gather dust.

But they shall not gather dust for long!

:whoohoo:

Now, if you can imagine a 40 year old man climbing into a trash dumpster for eyedroppers, you have pictured the next scene.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I wonder how many of us have dug through trash for candle supplies we dropped too.

You have such a way with words. I can't wait to hear the next episode :wink2: