Gel Newbie :-)

AnjieBurdett

Hi there. I's new to this section, and am thinking of trying some gel. I have these little glass balls (10cm diameter) that look like ickle fish bowls and I would just love to make tiny little aquarium scenes with gel wax :D .

1. I am in the UK, do you know any suppliers of gel at a good price.

2. I understand there is 3 different types of gel to use depending on the embeds you are using? Their weight etc.

3. Do I use wax embeds or plastic? Glass? And where in the world to I find these??

4. Do I need a specific type of wick for gel?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you need to know something then you ask the experts :grin2:

Anjie,x.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Anjie,

I've tried it, although it scared me lol. It gives a lovely effect. I've got a fishbowl and some glass fish and a diver ready to do.

I got my gel from hobbycraft, about £3 and some gel wicks, bout 70p a packet. You need special FO tho, some may work, but you have to do a test with mineral oil.

Theres special colours too, (hobbycraft) ;) oh and its a direct heat method, not double burner

Hello Anji, you could try here David is really helpful on the phone he is very very good at his work and is very helpful, here is his site, http://www.candlemakers.co.uk/cmproduct/candlewaxes.html As for embeds i used to use plastic when i did gel candles, i got mines from a shop called au naturale, they had all kinds of plastic little goodies, hope that helps you hunni.

Cxxxx

about plastic embeds...

bad idea, imo, for 2 reasons:

you need to double glass the candle to make sure that the heat the candle generates dies not melt the embeds or set them on fire.

secondly, the fragrance oil could eat away at the embeds making the candle look absolutely yucky.

cheryl

I've had me a little trip to Hobbycraft tonight, and decided to buy some of their gel wax to practice with (don't want to buy loads incase I don't get on with it :o ), got some gel wicks and sustainers and some dye too. It doesn't say what density the gel is though :undecided . Guess i'll just give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip off Nat.

Anjie,x.

p.s. oh and I am using glass embeds, wouldn't use plastic.

Ah right, thanks. I wasn't going to scent it anyway, I was just thinking of a tiny aquarium 'scene' to start with.

Are bubbles an inevitable part of gel or can you get it poured without them - I don't want bubbles :D

Anjie,x.

p.s. I meant thanks for the tip off Wick in my previous post, not Nat Dohhhhh.

Well, I've been pouring gel for at least 3 years now & never poured one without bubbles:D Some bubbles are fine, especially in sea scape ones. After pouring put the candle in a sunny window, that will take care of most of the bubbles. I have discovered a couple of tricks to getting less bubbles.:wink2:

And they are?.................................................

Tell me, tell me, tell me :drool: .... please!

Anjie,x.

p.s. Cathyinme - I lurve your avitar! I love Pit's, don't see much of them in this country due to them being on the Dangerous Dog list and all that. People used to cross the road when I walked my English Bull's, it always left me gob smacked!!

And they are?.................................................

Tell me, tell me, tell me :drool: .... please!

Anjie,x.

p.s. Cathyinme - I lurve your avitar! I love Pit's, don't see much of them in this country due to them being on the Dangerous Dog list and all that. People used to cross the road when I walked my English Bull's, it always left me gob smacked!!

:D That's my boy!!!

Gel will be liquified when it is heated. Be sure to keep an eye on the temp!!

My secrets? Well, I was asked if I would do a tutorial on embedding in gels so you will have to wait for that!!!!!

PS Vicky!! I have next week off so the tutorial will be done then!!!:tongue2:

I stayed up until 1am pouring a gel candle with sand, shells and a few tiny glass fishys. It looked fantastic and I was well pleased with myself when I went to bed. This morning it has a white cloudy haze in the middle grrrr, whats caused this and can I get rid of it?

Anjie,x.

I washed the shells and dried them thoroughly before I started but maybe they weren't clean ENOUGH :o I've been reading up and found out that if you use the wax coated wicks (mine are) and pour the gel too hot then it can melt the wax on the wick and cloud the gel. Seeing as the clouding is mainly around the wick area then it may be this too but there is a slight cloud around one of the glass fish too.

I can take everything out and melt down the uncontaminated gel to use again can't I?

Anjie,x.

I miss understood. Yes if your cloud is around your wick it is from the wax coating. You can take your wicks and place them on a paper towel and put them in the oven on low for about 10 minutes and the excess wax will melt off of them. I would not worry about melting it back down use it as a tester candle.