Best wax for Tarts

cestlavielumiere

• 11 months later...

Hello All, As a new person to the board I would like to "bump" this up as I too am looking at making tarts. I understand that each one has a preference to his/her own wax, but I would like to know why. Is it easy to work with or just left over from other candles. How is the hot throw of your tart and does it come out of the mold well... Thanks. Joe:D

since here I can't find all the nice waxes you have there, I tried long time ago with my paraffin, the same I use for pillars. 6% FO, and a pinch of vybar, and my tarts are super strong and last for long. They release easily from molds.

The same wax I use for votives. and they are great throwers. So all in all I think you can use almost any wax.

have fun experimenting!

Just use a pillar/votive wax 2/3 and 1/3 container wax. I use 2/3 4794 and 1/3 6006 or 223. Carole

I'm still pretty new to tart making. May I ask the advantage of mixing these two waxes? I use IGI 4794 only. When blending, at what point do you do this? After it is melted? If before, how do you measure it accurately? Thanks so much.

Nancy

4794 is a little harder and doesn't hold as much FO as 6006 or 223. 4794 is a 2/pour wax and by adding a container wax to it, you can do one pour for your tarts. Straight container wax would not release from the molds. I am getting the "best" from each type of wax. Carole

4794 is a little harder and doesn't hold as much FO as 6006 or 223. 4794 is a 2/pour wax and by adding a container wax to it, you can do one pour for your tarts. Straight container wax would not release from the molds. I am getting the "best" from each type of wax. Carole

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. I wasn't thrilled with the throw I was getting from the 4794, although it is much better than when I used straight paraffin. Can you tell me at what point you blend these? Melted or before? If you do it before, how to you get an accurate measurement?

Nancy

• 3 years later...
Ky Candle Supply has a wax especially for tarts. It comes in flake form, too. I use it and love it. It has a great hot throw. I sell loads of tarts.

:confused:Hi Josie, I have been using KY wax for my tarts and cannot get the throw to last more than a couple of hours! The site said to heat to 165, which I did the first time, and someone on the site said to heat up to 175 because she had the same problems that I'm having and now it works. But I heated to 175 and it's STILL only lasting for a couple of hours. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I have 10lbs I don't want to waste. I even tried mixing 415 with it but didn't help. Thanks for any ideas you can give me!

I've been mainly using Ecosoya PB but recently have been using palm feather wax. In testing, I can get on average, 3 days or more (burning about 4 - 6 hours per day) of HT from the palm wax, and HT that will release throughout the house.

Edited by PAgirl89

The Candle Source wax for me. Experimenting now with a paraffin/soy blend of my own because I'm afraid one day TCS wax may vanish, lol

:yay:Hey girl, I just sent you a PM, have been out of pocket due to some family issues. Hope everyone's doing great. Some friends were over this weekend and LOVED your Cucumber Melon tarts. Since I was unable to do the Valentine craft show because I was sick I'm keeping them for myself. They're AWESOME! If they decide to order some I'll let you know.

Ky Candle Supply has a wax especially for tarts. It comes in flake form, too. I use it and love it. It has a great hot throw. I sell loads of tarts.

I started using IGI 4794 it was okay, but I was not satisfied. Someone on the board recommended KY's tart wax and I love it. It really has a good throw.

~good luck

Just read your PM, Mary, and I sent one to you. :)

By all means, let me know if your friends want some Cuc. Mel; it's such a clean, fresh scent, isn't it?

The para-soy formulas I'm testing are performing well, though not all of them. For me, TCS wax still remains #1 for now, but want to find something that comes very close to it.

A customer said she had one of my tarts at work, been going for 8 days. She said it's fading but can still smell it when she walks into her office.... now THAT'S what I want to hear, lol