Did I calculate this correctly?

I think all the scents in my house have fried my brain....I'm having problems doing basic math.

Okay, I bought some of the the little Elite Mason Jars (8oz) - the little squatty ones. I weighed the jar empty and then with water, put those numbers into the handy dandy calculator provided on this website and received a calculation of 4.99 oz of wax that I would need (naturally, I rounded up to 5.0)

Is it correct to multiply the amount of wax in ounces by the percentage of FO load that you want? I multiplied 5.0 times .06, which equals .3 - this was the amount of FO that I added to my wax. Is this right?

Also, will someone again please explain to me why an 8oz jar only holds 5oz of wax? I still just don't get that.

Thanks as always!

Amber

An 8 oz jar holds 8 fluid ounces, which is the kind of ounces you measure with a measuring cup. Fluid ounces are volume, or the amount of space the liquid takes up.

We do candle ingredients by weight, meaning ounces that are measured on a scale. That's a different kind of ounce.

If you want to do the FO by percentage, the right calculation is like so:

6% FO = 5 x .06 = 0.3 oz FO

94% wax = 5 x .94 = 4.7 oz wax

The way you did it gives a different result. You have 0.3 oz of but actually 5.3 oz of total mixture (FO plus wax), so your FO percentage is 0.3 / 5.3 = 5.66%.

HTH.

You're the man!! Thanks so much!

Oh wait, before you're officially the man.....just want to make sure I understand this....

If the calculator says I need 5 oz., I then use your formula to include the FO and then use "that" wax amount instead??? Basically, I should have altered my formula to .3oz of FO and 4.7oz of wax...right?

Basically, I should have altered my formula to .3oz of FO and 4.7oz of wax...right?

Yup, going by the calculator's estimate of how much you need to fill the container, those are the right amounts to get 6% FO.

Treat the result from the calculator as the total amount of candlestuff (wax and everything else) that you need. Then break it down by percentages. It all adds up to 100%, so the wax percentage is whatever amount isn't FO or something else.

For instance the calculator says 10 oz and our formula could be:

10% fragrance = .10 x 10 = 1 oz

1% eye of newt = .01 x 10 = 0.1 oz

89% wax = .89 x 10 = 8.9 oz

Total = 100% = 10 oz

For instance the calculator says 10 oz and our formula could be:

10% fragrance = .10 x 10 = 1 oz

1% eye of newt = .01 x 10 = 0.1 oz

89% wax = .89 x 10 = 8.9 oz

Total = 100% = 10 oz

Not even gonna ask what "eye of newt" is, but thank you for the clarification on the other! :)

Maybe this will explain it even better for some of you.

If your total amount ,the jar will hold of wax not liquid, is 10oz's that's the total of everything.

You need a total of 10oz's

FO% +

Additive% + (if you use one)

Wax% = 10oz's

Total of all 3 should be 10oz's

If it's just FO & wax...

FO% + Wax% = 10oz's

So weather your total % is 8oz's or 10oz's or 20oz's It's the total combined.

Hope this helps better