Why can't I do CP!

brydean

I can do HP just fine. But everytime I try and do CP, something goes wrong! UGH!:mad:

Last time I used Tuscan Nights FO and I had a major siezure. Last night I used Fresh Linen FO, it immediately started to get a little clumpy on me. So I quickly gave it a good stickblend and got it into the mold. Now this morning, the top looks like it has a bunch of small airbubbles. I'm guessing from the stickblending. I cut a few pieces to see inside, and I found a few pockets of FO. How did that happen, when I actually stickblended the fragrance in?

Should the oil, just eventually absorb in, or should I rebatch?

TIA for any help!:grin2:

Lots of reasons, first being the FO's you chose. How hot are your oils and lye? With CP, I find room temp the most manageable. I add my FO to my oils and hand blend for a bit. I barely use the stick blender. Next time, you can check the fragrance here http://scentreviewboard.obisoap.ca/index.php

I have the Tuscan Nights and never soaped it after reading that it's a major seizer. Another factor is your recipe. There are many variables here.

1. Keep it cool. Both oils (melted and all blended together, then allow to cool) & lye solution at room temp - max 100 - works best for me.

2. Don't SB till you've done it by hand (whisk) at least once - if it takes too long by hand then next time hit it with the SB. But in the case of ricing - like you had, DO use the SB till it's smooth again.

3. If you are using an SB, tilt it as you put it in so the air trapped in the "bell" can escape. My old Oster had too deep a bell and I could never get all the air out and so always had bubbles. Oster sucks. Fortunately it broke and I got a Braun.

Oil may or may not reabsorb (sorry, cannot predict) - just be sure it's not lye... I don't rebatch (I SUCK at that) - I either keep it or toss it.

And if it makes you feel any better, I can't HP to save my life - I make the UGLIEST HP batches!

Thanks for your help everyone! :yay:

The oil seems to be absorbing in now. Doesn't look to bad. It's not lye heavy, I checked several pieces. My dh hates it when I use my tongue to check for lye. I can't convince him that I am not going to poison myself!:P

My lye and oils were both cool enough. I did a 33% lye solution. I think that should be OK?

I agree that I should try an unscented batch or at least check the scent review board, before I try it again. Until, I get a better idea how to handle CP. I love HP, but I want to be able to do both. I did do a HP, coffee soap w/ blackberry the same day. That one is awesome!:yay:

A 33% lye solution is fine, but if you have a recipe with accelerating ingredients or a temperamental fo, I'd use 6 oz. of water ppo. I soap cool and use this much water, and I seldom have trouble with accelerating trace, unless I couldn't find any info about a particular fo being an accelerator and it turns out to be one.