When you think of upscale candles, do you think uncolored?

Terrie

When you think upscale candles, do you think uncolored?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. When you think upscale candles, do you think uncolored?

• Yes
    • No

Hi Terrie,

I usually do think uncolored when I think upscaled. I have seen some really upscale looking candles with color too, but I think that uncolored really gives it a classy look.

My candles are not "upscale" but when I went to no color from color it gave them a classier look, and I prefer it now. It definitely made my candles' look go up a notch. My customers feel the same way. :) It can depend on the jar. This is just how I feel regarding the wax and jars I use.

I think though that the Palm Crystalizing wax looks prettier in color and they can really look high class - upscale. I see this wax used in the status jars a lot and to me this combination needs color because the wax would not be as pretty without it.....I don't think anyway.

HTH

~Holly

I don't think color has anything to do with it, other than, white will go with any decor in any room. I have some customers that don't like the colors I make in some scents so I make some of my scents in both colored and un-colored.

I think up-scale candles has to do with - container, very expensive packaging (I have seen packing so elaborate that it cost more than the candle), type of wax can influnce the buyer, and marketing.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've had this subject on my mind this week.

I think of upscale as the natural color of the wax - white or creamy.

The upscale image, IMO, would also depend on the type of container. For instance, just my opinion, a jelly jar would not be an upscale container.

Quality and packaging is what goes into making a candle upscale. Personally I think all white candles are boring. Nice for chuch or weddings. But I like color and it can definitely be upscale.

I'm with Candy on this one. Quality, and packaging, but most importantly... labeling is what I think makes a product look "upscale". I personally like jelly jars, (the plain kind, not the one with the 'writing' on it) and if labeled correctly, I think they could look very upscale. I don't care what color a candle is, colored or white, I have no preference, but if it's presented to me in a pleasing way, it will definitely catch my eye.

It's all about presentation. Someone could have a crappy product, but if they present it well (quality packaging and labeling), it will sell, and be considered "upscale". :)

I would say no color, I agree with everyone else on this - no color. You first have to get their attention/interest and that is w/the packaging. Then the smell of the candle will sell itself. I also think of black shelving and the containers would have to be glass. If you go on line and look at some of the high-end candles the ones that I have seen are all in glass tumblers and/or glass containers. Some even come in boxes, which I think look great but where I live, I could not sell very many like that since I would have to increase the price so much to cover the box. I think once you sold the candle and put the candle in the sack you could put some tissue paper in with it (kinda like what B&B works does) it is different than just the average sack and looks a little more upscale to me. The sack could be nice enough that the individual could actually use it for the gift bag (naturally with handles on the sack) I get mine from N-ville wraps. I like to use the pastel tissue colors in the summer time and in the wintertime/fall red, orange, yellow and green.

I'm with CBE, you can have crap in your jars, but if the "look" is eye-catching to the consumer, you sold it. White or creamy, IMO, doesn't necessarily mean upscale or quality.

Don't we, as candlemakers and consumers, tend to be attracted to the item that has "the look"? Whether it's clothing or living room furniture, the packaging sells the item. We are a "LOOK" society.

Some of my customers buy my candles, not just because they smell great, but the array of colors that I carry, it's a decor item in their home.

I think "upscale" is subjective as all get out.

Personally, I prefer color-free candles. In simple containers, that show some creativity with the presentation. I've seen plain tumblers that were dressed up in divine packaging, making them appear upscale. However, they burned like crappola. I have a gorgeous animal print lid candle, from La Tee Da, in a large tureen jar that smells delightful [Orange Pomegranate], but burns like total garbage. Such a pity that some peeps paid over 25.00 for a candle like this. I got mine for 5.99 at a Tuesday Morning.

I've also seen simple tins, with minor packaging and pretty labels that burned fantastic. It all depends on what market is your niche, IMO. On another note, I've never understood why some consumers will only buy colored candles that "match" their decor. Not based on what type of scent it is. This to me, is pure silliness.

Where do you find these upscale packaging? I have one shop that wants an expensive box for the candles. I did white gift boxes with gold and white shred and a nice label. She wants more along the lines of what is on this site www.lowcountryluxe.com. If anybody can help I would appreciate it. I would not pay $55 for a 13oz candle because of a pretty box, but that is what the customer wants.

TIA

Rae

Where do you find these upscale packaging? I have one shop that wants an expensive box for the candles. I did white gift boxes with gold and white shred and a nice label. She wants more along the lines of what is on this site www.lowcountryluxe.com. If anybody can help I would appreciate it. I would not pay $55 for a 13oz candle because of a pretty box, but that is what the customer wants.

TIA

Rae

Now that is what I call "Upscale"! Not only etched glass, but gorgeous packaging!

I think unless my market area affords the expensive packaging, I wouldn't carry it. People around here just don't want to pay for it.

I wouldn't pay $55 for a candle either, no matter how pretty the box!

Candle Delirium has a host of upscale containers and packaging.

Now that is what I call "Upscale"! Not only etched glass, but gorgeous packaging!

I think unless my market area affords the expensive packaging, I wouldn't carry it. People around here just don't want to pay for it.

I wouldn't pay $55 for a candle either, no matter how pretty the box!

Candle Delirium has a host of upscale containers and packaging.

Thanks for the site. I checked it out and nice boxes. More what I would consider than the real upscale boxes. Wish I knew where to get them.

Anybody????????:D

Rae

They could really make some upscale boxes and I have looked at them before. Don't know if you could do a coop on them though because if I bought them I would want my info and etc on them. Their minimum amount is to rich for my blood!!!!!!

They could really make some upscale boxes and I have looked at them before. Don't know if you could do a coop on them though because if I bought them I would want my info and etc on them. Their minimum amount is to rich for my blood!!!!!!

LOL! I didn't notice that. Hey, what's 20,000?! A drop in the bucket!!

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Yeah - I sell that in a month :D :D :D

Girl, you better log out and find a place of repentance - fast!! :laugh2::laugh2:

Seriously, they didn't have a break down on the candle boxes, but when I clicked on the soap boxes it was around .77 for each box ordering 1,200.

I see you have to click the jar tab twice to get the quote box.

I'm sure it would be higher for a candle box, not including the jar and lid. Pricey, but she wanted pricey. :D