Want to start learning! Where and how do I start?

Hello everybody! I just came across this forum and thought I'd ask you all for some help! I have always wanted to make candles and decided I am going to do just that! BUT...I have NO idea how to make them, where to start, what to buy, and how much it is going to cost! Can someone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it so much! Thank you in advance! =)
:yay:

Best Advice. Decide what kind of candle you want to make and start researching it.

Then buy a kit for that kind of candle.

We have a great search feature here which will give you weeks of reading material.

On the left hand side and up top of this board you will find tutorials on making candle which is a great starting point.

http://www.candletech.com/basicinstructions.htm

Welcome to the board!

Haha, sorry I sound so clueless!! I don't know. . . I buy just the "regular "kind haha.. I'm telling you I don't know much about this AT ALL! I want to...that is why I'm asking you all! hehe. I just want to make a good quality candle... what are my options?

Well, the most basic decision would be containers or pillars. What's more important, scent or looks? Containers will give you an awesome scent throw, but pillars are gorgeous and there are all sorts of creative things you can do with them.

Make sure you take a look around in the gallery... some of these candles will blow you away!

Let's see, you can start by picking:

Tarts

Votives

Tealights

Containers (then do you want glass, tins and what size)

Pillars (what size, shape)

Gel Candles

Hurricanes

etc, etc

Then take a look here:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698

This is the thread for newbies that has a ton of info in there!! Pick one type of candle, one size and start there or you may get overwhelmed and frustrated! This isn't a cheap hobby, so be prepared!

Getting a kit is a great idea, Peak has a wonderful one:

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Candle-Making-Starter-Kits.aspx

Everything you wanted to know is here, the search feature will become your best friend! Good luck and have fun!!

Ohh okay. lol. I want to do all eventually.. pillars, votives, and containers. Which would be the best to start out with? Plus... what do I need to buy? Do I buy a starter kit (if so from where) or do I buy everything seperately? What all do I need? Also... what is the average price to make a pillar candle?

Christen this is where research needs to come in. That is what we are trying to tell you. You have been give several very good link to start off with.

Honestly if you are going at this to save money making candles versus buying them don't bother trust me it cheaper in the long run to buy them.

Newbie alert!!

I agree with Vicky that it's cheaper overall to just buy them. Just to make a votive for me, without paying shipping for ANYTHING is 30 cents or so, and you can buy them at Wal-Mart for 30. That's not including the gas it took, electricity, and just overall time to pour them, wick them, top them off, melting, etc.

I also agree with everyone else to pick one thing and start there. I had too many dreams in my head and so many things, that I wanted to do, I got overwhelmed. I'm currently melting down ALL the pillars/votives/tealights I made that were scented, and am storing them in Gladware, because I got in over my head and was trying to test TOO much TOO fast.

I'm now back at square one, and am testing my molds in unscented first, one wax at a time, one wick at a time, one mold at a time.

Containers are the easiest, at least for me, because the wax is perfect (special container wax) no additives, no repours and no molds to mess with and keep clean. It's right now straight wax, no scent or color, and just getting the wick right.

I've only been making candles a few weeks. I too, have my head filled with wanting to do everything, but I'd listen to Vicky. I'd first decide if you want to do paraffin, soy or gel wax?

Do you want to try pillar candles or container in jars/tins. I started with paraffin and tried some pillars, I tried different effects, then its a case of which wick burns best. You really MUST test burn your candles. I came on with the notion, stick some wax in a mould, bit of wick and bobs your uncle, definately NOT the case.

Theres some good tutorials on here, and always people to help. Plus the search function at the top will bring up loads of other info.

But be warned, its not a cheap hobby. I've got 4 kids and am on a budget, but every penny I get now goes on candle stuff, do I need to eat too, NOPE lmao :laugh2:

It's highly addictive, but great fun

enjoy

Okay, thank you for all your help! I will start to research. I know it's not going to be "cheap"... I understand. My hobby started out as photography and it is now my career. . . it is DEFINATELY not cheap!! =)

Anyways... I think I'm going to start out with the peak starter kit. I guess it has everything I need in it, correct?

Okay, thank you for all your help! I will start to research. I know it's not going to be "cheap"... I understand. My hobby started out as photography and it is now my career. . . it is DEFINATELY not cheap!! =)

Anyways... I think I'm going to start out with the peak starter kit. I guess it has everything I need in it, correct?

Peak starter kits are great - that's how I started out. Have fun! And don't wear any nice clothes when pouring lol.