Getting ready to place my first order

I had a couple of questions before I placed my very first order! 1. I'm new at this, and was thinking it would be fun to try and sell these at our local farmer's market this summer. Is this a far fetched dream for a beginner? From what I've read on this forum, it takes A LOT of time and money before a person's even ready to start selling them. Any thoughts on this? 2. More than once, I've read that it's smart to start out with a starter kit. If I have intentions of wanting to make more, is it a bad idea to start out with 50# of wax (soy wax)? Is it too "iffy" to order that much of one kind of wax (Ecosoya CB 135) when you're a beginner? 3. I do have some canning jars I could use initially. How do those sell? If I plan on using a different kind of container in the future, would it better to just get started with that kind of a container?

I think I've had the thought that I could just order my supplies, start making my candles (after all of the hours I've spent reading on making them), then take some to the market this summer! Is this realistic, or are you having a good chuckle right now?

Please let me know any thoughts....from experience! Thanks!!

Ok, well, I think the fact that you haven't even poured your first candle, yet you want to start selling in a couple of months is pushing it. There are many things to take into consideration - have you checked out the business section? You need to really know what to do in preparation to sell your items (and I know you have been researching, so I won't go into the testing that is involved to have a safe product). I feel that you will be getting in over your head to try to do everything at once.

Ets, I'm not trying to sound harsh, it's just my opinion. I know you'll have fun making candles, but I'm sure you want to do everything the correct way.

I'm brand new to all of this too....asking questions almost daily. :) With all the different waxes out there, I didn't want to order 50lbs of one type just in case I didn't like it. I wouldn't want to be stuck with that much wax if I couldn't get it to work for me. So, I would recommend ordering the smallest amount that they have, or just get one of the starter kits.

Good Luck and welcome! Lots of great people here!

Slowing down would be good.

1. From my experience, it took me several months of testing before I was ready to sell candles. I don't think it's realistic to go from placing your first order to selling at the farmer's market in just a few weeks (others may disagree).

2. IMO, I think its best to buy a starter kit (it comes with wax). I wouldn't recommend buying a case of wax ... if it doesn't work for you, it's a waste.

3. I started with votives - got that right, then moved on to 8oz jelly jars - got that right, then moved on to 8oz sq. mason jars - got that right, then moved on to something else.

Take one step at a time ... take it slow.

Your plan is a bit ambitious-but if you don't have to work and can stay home and test your candles all day everyday, you may get a few ready in time. If you have a job, I doubt you can get candles tested and ready in time. (I work and if I get the combo right the very first time, it takes a month to test a give scent.) However, this schedule can create added stress because if your candles sell, people will beg you for new scents and you will spend all your time trying to perfect new scents! Start with the jar you plan to stay with because you will have to start testing all over again for each container. Go with small quantities, even though they cost more, at first. 10 lbs. of wax, 1 oz or 2 oz samples, and wick sample packs. Search this forum and you will find many suggestions on combinations and great suppliers. Ask everyone you know what kind of candles they buy, what they like, what they don't like. This helps you figure out what sells in your area. Good luck and sell no candle before its time! :tiptoe:

I think if you believe you can achieve......Just test your products and keep going. You will be addicted. I would not make tons at once, if your going to sell find out what sells in your area. Otherwise you will be stuck with a lot stuff.. Good Luck in all

Hello!!! Welcome~~

When I first started, I bought a few kits that way I tried out a few different waxes. While I was testing, I sold stricktlyto friends and family ONLY...and the only reason I "sold" to them was to cover my cost I spent on supplies. Try that for awhile, and get their reviews....and go from their. You'll LOVE it!!!:highfive:

Good Luck!!!

And most importantly ...ENJOY YOURSELF!!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions. I did find a supplier that is near enough to Montana so that the shipping charges aren't quite so bad. A number of people on this forum have mentioned them.....Peak Candles. I did get to talk to a gal from there earlier today, and she was quite helpful. I'm going to go ahead and start out with with two or three different kinds of wax in 10# slabs. From what I've read, it seems that their fragrances work really well, so we'll see..... The only thing I have to figure out is what containers I want to use. Eventually, I think I want the apothecary type style, with a lid. I want to get a couple different sizes "down pat", so I'm not sure if I should start out with my canning jars, or if I need to get some ordered--of the kind they'll eventually be in, so that I can see how it truly works in that exact size. Any suggestions? I appreciate the input I've been getting. Thanks!

I've read a few of your posts, and I would offer the following advice. Yes, start with Peaks. They are a quality company with quality supplies. If you haven't decided wholeheartedly on working with soy, try a parasoy blend that has additives already incorporated in the wax. It's easier to work with and wicking isn't nearly as tricky (my experience). I would try to stick with a one pour wax. What type of wick do you want to use? Zinc seem to be the easiest to start with. If you intend to have the 16 oz. apothecary jar as your container, start with that. Be aware that those jars can be tricky to wick, and sometimes require two wicks. Achieving the desired melt pool, burning consistency, scent throw, minimal or no sooting, jar not getting too hot, etc. are all things you need to test for. If you don't intend to sell jelly jars, no sense in testing those--waste of your time. You can keep your cost down by making candles in canning jars though. Good luck & have fun.

That's what I wondered. From some of the price comparisons that I've done online, it seems that for the number of containers I would need at this time, Alabaster or Bitter Creek South look like they have reasonable prices. I still need to check the shipping charges on those two places, though.

I would make my candles in canning jars in a heartbeat if I knew that they would sell okay. As a matter of fact, they would probably be a lot easier to access around here. The closest place (with a WalMart) is an hour away, and the only way I can get any other kind of container (besides a canning jar) is by ordering online. I walked right past boxes of those jars yesterday. Does one kind of container sell better than another (jars vs. apoth.)?

In response to what kind of wick I was going to try.....The gal I talked to at Peak Candles suggested the cotton. With her experiece with them, she really liked them. I had initially decided on those LX wicks, but I may have to rethink this. :)