Embedded Chunks

I wanted to try the embeds in a pillar, where you get them really close to the sides, (saw a beautiful horse one on here once). So I cut some hearts out with a cookie cutter and put them against the sides and tried to wedge them in with white chunks, but they kept falling over, so I brushed slightly with cooking oil and they stuck-ish. Then I fill with white chunks and overpoured in white. Its ok-ish.

heartchunk.jpg

I also found a lovely big glass star in a charity shop yesterday, so thought I'd try a chunk. I've tripled wicked it in LX12.

starchunk.jpg

I know, nothings brill, but I just love having a go :)

I really like the heart embed one. Well done on getting all those hearts to stay in a row like that.:highfive: I usually heatgun my mould a bit to get it warm, then heatgun the top of the embed and press it against the mould, usually they stay there, but it does take some time. Also like the star, let us know how that burns.

I haven't got a heat gun :(

I got soooooo narked with them keep falling over as I was trying to put the hearts against the side of the mould, in the end I cheated. Got some cooking oil and lightly brushed them and slapped them on ;)

flaming things still wouldn't all stay though.

Still, I'll know for next time.

I haven't got a heat gun :(

I got soooooo narked with them keep falling over as I was trying to put the hearts against the side of the mould' date=' in the end I cheated. Got some cooking oil and lightly brushed them and slapped them on ;)

flaming things still wouldn't all stay though.

Still, I'll know for next time.[/quote']

Got a hairdryer? Works just as good as a heat gun. I got my heat gun on ebay for £16, but I used to use my hair dryer.

is a heat gun one of those big green two handed 'burn the paint of your wood' jobbies?

cos apparently we have one of those in the deep dark recesses of the loft!

it's not necessarily big and green, but it is one that can be used to remove paint. I got mine on ebay and it came with a variety of scraper bits that you can clip on the end.

If you're using soy, they are invaluable, because when you pour soy containers, you can sometimes end up with realllly lumpy tops - so you use the heat gun (sometimes over and over again) to smooth the tops out.

those came out great!! i think i would've gone crazy tryign to line up all the heart embeds. i have enough problems when i do just 3 around the bottom of a pillar. i was wondering if you (or anyone else reading) waits until the embeds are completely hardened before putting them in the mold and doing an overpour? i have been doing that lately because sometimes the color bled if it wasnt hardened yet. but the downside is that it's harder for them to stay against the side of the mold. any help or suggestions?

I think that you've done a marvellous job on those heart embeds - they look sensational. As for a heat gun, your life will never be the same afterwards - use it for cleaning your (metal) moulds and the wax comes off a treat, simply wipe with a paper towel (use a chop stick or similar to move the towel around in the bottom of the mould or you'll burn your hand).

I like the heart chunk candle. It looks great-ish to me....(smile)...The hearts are lined up just fine. When I put in my embeds....I melt a little sticky wax or I found that beeswax works well to.. and brush just a speck of wax on the front of the embed and stick it to the mold. After you unmold it, if a little speck of wax is still left there...I just scrape it off carefully with a tiny knife...or rub it with a cloth. That works very well-ish for me......

Donita Louise

sort of-ish jade lmao

moi! slave driver, what ever do you mean. All he does is go to work all day, come home and make the dinner..... ;)

I know, I know, I'm blessed. He's even started sniffing the candles I make now, now thats showing an interest :laugh2:

Right todays plan, raid the kids bedroom for any playdough cutters ;) get ladders from mums so hubby can at least get into the loft...

I'll bet you I come on after easter and he still hasn't got it. Oh well needs must, I may have to go up there myself.

It's that packed to the rafters, I'm sure I once saw Elvis playing cards with Lord Lucan up there.

Donita, would just a blob of melted wax be ok? the cooking oil made them slide out of place a bit rather than hold them still. I don't have any wax glue or things like that yet.

Would that be ok-ish :laugh2:

Yep same here! His friend told him that he was under the thumb and that he shouldn't be coming home and cooking dinner - his reply 'you haven't tasted her cooking mate' LMAO. I take offense at that (PMSL) I can do fish fingers and chips!! :laugh2: :highfive:

Anjie,x.