How to melt down candles for bigger wicks?

I have a batch of candles that I made with the new GB 444 wax I got. I had several jars with the CD 16's already in because they worked great with my KY 125 wax. I just grabbed the jars without really thinking. I figured well they worked with my KY 125 which had the same melt pool so no biggie, they will work. WRONG :angry2:

Unfortunately when I went to burn the candle, it didn't come close to cleaning the sides, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of unmelted wax.

I need to melt down this batch of candles and pour them in jars with bigger wicks. If I put them on a cookie sheet in the oven on 170 to melt them down, will I kill the fragrance oil and have to remix the candles with more oil?

What is the correct way to do this?

Thanks!

Jami,

Before you melt down all those candles, take a couple and pull the wicks out of the candle with a pliers..then take a couple of different size wicks that you think would work and stick them back down inside the candles..this way you can test burn wick sizes instead of having to melt down and pour a new candle just to test wick sizes.....then you will know what wick works the best, then melt down and pour the finished candle! HTH!

Jami

When I read your post about the wicks in the 444 I wished that the wicks would have just worked. I have in the past had a great melt pool and great scent throw and forgot to mark the containers with the wick I used. Sometimes I wonder if the stars need to be in alignment for a pour lol. I hope everything works out. Im getting phyched to try my 444 now.

Natalie

Natalie,

I decided to try my candles again since I already had burned them. I did notice on the second burn about half way through the candle, the sides caught up to the rest of the candle and were cleaned so it wasn't a TOTAL loss lol I just for once have candles for ME to burn :laugh2:

I don't want these candles to go to someone and them think oh noooo, these aren't going to burn so my next batch I did wick up to see how they burn.

I do two things when I am "testing" my candles. I have a form in microsoft word for candle notes that I print out and keep in a binder for when I am making up a batch so I can refer back to them BUT.....I also have a label maker that I put the date and the wick on a label and attach it to the bottom of the jar when I put my wicks in. If I don't pour the candles that particular day, I just change the date with a pen before I pour. At least this helps my absent minded self know what wick I used. The next trick is to remember how much color and FO used lol

I did pour some candles yesterday that I poured a little hotter, while I didn't have any frosting, they were ugly mottled tops that the heat gun zapped out fairly easy. Next time I am going to hold my arm to the east, my leg to the west, twitch my nose and hold my breah while pouring to see if that will work. If not, I am going to drink heavily while pouring and not care if they look right or not :P

I can't wait to hear how your testing goes!

Jami

This wax is so soft you don't need to melt the wax while it's in the container.

A cleaner and faster way to get the wax out of the glass jar just use a knife and cut the wax and pour & scoop the chunks back into a melting pot (once you try this you will understand what I mean). Once you get all the wax out wipe the inside of the jar out with a paper towl to get out any remaining wax residue. Then wash and dry the jar. Now your ready to re-pour & re-wick.