New here and have quetions?

hello

I am really interested in making candles and possibly soap..Let me talk candles for now though. I will probably start with votives..

1) do any of you make and then sell them?

2) Is soy wax the best?

3) I found another place that I may buy wax from because they say their wax does not need to be mixed with the acid stuff or anything else. You just melt, dye add fragrance..does the wax from peak need to be mixed with anything?

4) what is the best way to melt wax?

sorry if these questions have been asked...thanks for any and all replies..

hope to talk to you all more soon..

1. Yes, I make and sell votives. This was the first type of candle I learned to make ... I bought a kit (which I highly suggest) from Cajun Candles, but there are other suppliers who sell kits too.

2. Soy or Paraffin ... it's a matter of preference. I personally like and use a 50/50 parasoy blend.

3. Most suppliers sell preblended wax. When you decide what type wax you want to use ... the best supplier is the one closest to where you live (shipping can be expensive).

4. In my opinion, and what works best for me, is to melt wax in a presto pot. I bought mine at Walmart for $20-$25. There are instructions on this website about how to install a spout for easy pouring.

Hope this helps ... welcome to the board. :smiley2:

I have been looking into the kits. Cajun has a good kit, but peaks kit comes with alot of stuff, alot more than the basic kit from cajun. These are the two sites I have been looking at (cajun and peaks)...I don't understand the wax types at peaks. I know most kits come with paraffin wax which I have read that most people do not like. Do you have to do anything different if you mix the waxes? (melting procedure etc)..who has the best fragrances? (if that is a secret I will understand)..

thanks again.

You have been misinformed. Parrafin is a great wax to work with-- especially for a beginner.

If you get into candle making you will have to learn the pros and cons of the wax or waxes that you work with. Whether its parrafin, soy, parasoy, palm, beeswax, etc. Each one has their strong and weak points and has to be tested.

I second the candle making kit. It will save you a ton of money starting out.

Just have fun with it!

I have been looking into the kits. Cajun has a good kit, but peaks kit comes with alot of stuff, alot more than the basic kit from cajun. These are the two sites I have been looking at (cajun and peaks)...I don't understand the wax types at peaks. I know most kits come with paraffin wax which I have read that most people do not like. Do you have to do anything different if you mix the waxes? (melting procedure etc)..who has the best fragrances? (if that is a secret I will understand)..

thanks again.

Green Leaf Candle Supply has a kit with their 70/30 soy blend. I wouldn't suggest that you blend your own wax at this point, since you're a beginner.

Which wax to use is a matter of preference.

As for FO's, you would have to test which ones work in your wax.

Like Candlebuddy suggested, you should go with a wax supplier close to you to save on shipping costs.

Welcome to the board :)

I know most kits come with paraffin wax which I have read that most people do not like.

I am curious where you read that...I much prefer paraffin as do many others here. It's purely a personal preference for each person.

You will find a lot of helpful info here just reading through the board. Learn to use the search function, it can save you a great deal of time waiting on answers as well.

There is a section here just for fragrances where you can learn a lot about different scents and opinions of manufacturers. There's also a veggie section that'll have more info on soy waxes.

Good Luck

well if I get a kit from Peak shipping is $15... If I get a kit from cajun the shipping is $10 but it comes with half the stuff as Peak. wouldn't the melting pot and Glass Thermometer and the extra 5 lbs of wax be worth the extra $5.00 or no??

well if I get a kit from Peak shipping is $15... If I get a kit from cajun the shipping is $10 but it comes with half the stuff as Peak. wouldn't the melting pot and Glass Thermometer and the extra 5 lbs of wax be worth the extra $5.00 or no??

You had better read that again....Peak's kit comes with a POUR pot, not melting pot.

I prefer paraffin to soy also.

I would suggest reading more about the characteristics of both waxes and then make a decision based on your research.

it says melting pot??

• 10 Lb slab of IGI-4794 Votive Blend Wax.

*****•1 Seamless Melting Pot (capacity: 4 Lbs.)*****

• 8 standard 15-hour metal votive molds

• 1 Glass Thermometer

• 100 Pre-tabbed Wicks: 2.5" 36-24-24 Zinc Core for votives

• 2 oz French Vanilla Fragrance Oil

• 2 oz Lilac Fragrance Oil

• 2 oz Mango Papaya Fragrance Oil

• 2 oz Clean Cotton Fragrance Oil

• 2 oz Strawberry Kiwi Fragrance Oil

• 2 Ivory Dye Chips (for French Vanilla)

• 2 Lavender Dye Chips (for Lilac)

• 2 Rust Dye Chips (for Mango Papaya)

• 2 Yellow (for Clean Cotton)

• 2 Ruby Red Dye Chips (for Strawberry Kiwi)

• Wax Melting Instructions

• Votive Making Instructions

I see it does say melting, but my guess is a pour pot. I'm sure if you email them for clarification they will get back to you in good time. I see they still send the 4794 preblend with that votive kit....EXCELLENT wax IMO. I've used it for 4 yrs now and would never change.

Either one will do. Seriously, just buy one and get started. The rest will come. You will find out in a hurry if this is for you. I started with the Cajun one also. If you are so indecisive about a starter kit and saving $5.00, you are in serious trouble. If you end up liking this craft, you will have to invest a ton of money in testing that you will not get back any time soon. That is just the way it is.

Either one will do. Seriously, just buy one and get started. The rest will come. You will find out in a hurry if this is for you. I started with the Cajun one also. If you are so indecisive about a starter kit and saving $5.00, you are in serious trouble. If you end up liking this craft, you will have to invest a ton of money in testing that you will not get back any time soon. That is just the way it is.

no I just not sure of which kit is better...

this is an image from peak using that "melting pot" that comes with the kit...

doubleboiler.jpg

so I shouldn't use it in the double boiler method either? Should I use a double boiler to melt wax at all or what do you recommend to melt wax with?

sorry about all the questions.

I believe a presto pot (kitchen kettle) found at Walmart was mentioned already.

so I shouldn't use it in the double boiler method either? Should I use a double boiler to melt wax at all or what do you recommend to melt wax with?

I'm still brand new to all of this too, and for now, I'm using the double broiler method (as shown in the photo of your previous post)....it's working fine for me. I will more than likely end up buying the presto pot, but I wanted to make sure I was really going to like this candlemaking stuff....and, although it's only been about a month.....I'M HOOKED!!! :yay:

I also would recommend a kit....I bought everything separately before finding this board and even knowing that there were kits out there.....it ended up being more expensive. :(

I started out with a kit from Natures Garden, it came with Joy wax. That was 4 years ago. I personally like paraffin. I do some items in soy but my main wax for jars is J223 and votives is straight paraffin. And after all this time I still use my good ol coffee cans for pour pots. They serve the purpose and I get them for nothing. I just bent a spout on one side and wahlaa. I also have 4 presto pots from Walmart. The only complaint I have about them is the fact that depending upon how often you use them (wear and tear) they start to short out after a while. Probably about 6 months to a year and that's using them every weekend and some nights during the week. Like any appliance, they eventually crap out. But I would highly recommend a presto pot. You can find them in aisle at walmart with the skillets, toasters and all that stuff. Just take your time and don't feel that you need to rush into this! There is alot to learn about!

Hi and welcome.

I'm new at making candles. I started with cajun candles and before I purchased a kit I read all their information. They have a section to read that will save you money, and their kits are reasonable. I started with container candles their cheaper container kit, because I didn't have a lot money. With their kit and with what I had at home, I had what I needed. I started out with IGI 4786 which is preblended, so you don't have to worry about additives to make container candles. I have since found another place to get my wax because of the cheaper shipping. But I still get my frangrance oil (FO) wicks and other supplies from cajun. I also started out using the double boiler and it can be a pain. So when my family had bought some of my first candles (test subjects) I then saved up for a presto pot. They are wonderful. They melt the wax so much faster and the thermometer stays on. Stay with the board here because everyone is so helpful. Sorry this is so long.

Brenny

You could use the pour pot in the double boiler method ... but in my opinion, using a Presto Pot is much easier. If you buy that particular kit, try it. Then if you like making candles, down the road, you might want to invest in a Presto Pot.

From my experience .... reading this entire board (and then some) was really helpful .... I found valuable information by doing searches on particular questions that I had ... and, I posted whenever I had a question/problem or needed opinions/advice. I think the best advice I can give you is to take it slow.

This has been an incredible journey.