Keeping pour pot warm enough

Hi, I am trying to make several batches at a time but am having problems when I pour wax into pour pot. I am using pyrex, and am heating it in the microwave because I need to add dye and fo at 175. When I pour melted wax into pyrex, the temp drops like a stone to 150. Is it ok to then microwave it back up to 175?

Step 1 I would ditch the Pyrex. Heating thick glass through really takes a long time, like maybe half an hour in a warm oven, then you'll need a glove to hold it. Otherwise it'll suck the heat right out of your mixture.

Use one of those metal pour pots with the black handle. You might also find it handy to have a sealed-burner hot plate with a thermostatic control handy for temperature adjustments. You can keep it on a low setting to help maintain or even boost temperature while adding FO. Gives you time for a good stir.

I also use an electric griddle pan to put my pour pots on to keep them warm. Works perfect! Get one at Walmart cheap. And use a proper pour pot from a candle supply store. They are a good investment and last a long time and can be used over and over and over again. Besides, they are easy to clean up using a heat gun and paper towels.

Use an empty coffee can. Use a pair of pliers to make pour spout. Much cheaper than the $12+ pour pots.

Good luck!

Dat

I tried this way back when.... but discovered no matter how hard I tried to clean it, invariably some powered coffee grounds would come out of the seam and mix in the wax :(

We melt in Presto pots, but we use washed vegetable cans for much of our pouring. Big cans, medium cans, regular cans and little tomato paste cans. We always have plenty of them. My coffee comes in a bag or I'd try coffee cans, too! We are so green, we never thought of using pliers - I stepped on the open rim to make a lip. :laugh2:

Great idea about the pancake griddle... wonder if that warming tray I used twice in 30 years would work...

I always use pyrex. It takes 5 minutes in an oven on warm to heat it enough before you pour the wax in. The thick glass also tends to hold the heat. And for any repours I put it in a pot of boiling water double boiler style.

I've got the oven on for awhile anyway to clean molds, warm jars, so I just put the pyrex in at the same time.

I prefer the pyrex over the pots. I turn my oven on warm as soon as I go in the kitchen for the reasons Robin listed. I haven't found it a problem to warm my pyrex very quickly.

If you get the coupon from Michaels and Hobby Lobby you can get pour pots at really good prices. I have a workshop set up in my basement and don't have an oven down there. I have a water jacketed melter and set the temp about 5 degrees higher than I used to when I heated my pots. By the time the hot wax goes in, I stir in FO and dye, it is just the right temp. I figure I must be saving money vs the days when my oven was on all day while pouring.