Bad stearic?

I am trying to make a nice rustic and cant seem to do it, although I followed instructions to a T. 1343, 1 oz FO pp, 3 Tbsp steaic, poured at 140 into a room temp alum mold. Tried it twice now and cant seem to get any frost at all. Then I started wondering if my stearic is bad. I got it from Taylored Concepts which is a local supplier to me. A while back, I got some mottling wax from them that didnt mottle at all and a couple of FO's that smelled horrible, so its entirely possible that the stearic is no good also. What do you guys think? Has anyone ordered from TC and been very unimpressed with them? Im just really banging my head against a wall here trying to figure out what the problem is, and this is all I can come up with. Thanks!

I've never heard of bad stearic. I guess anything is possible, but first thing I'd do is contact the supplier. Who knows, maybe it was a mix up and isn't stearic at all. Your formula looks OK, but maybe a tad too cool to pour. Call TC and see what they say. Hope they can help.

Yesterday I used some 1343 for the first time. I used a tin 3x6 mold and a 3x6 aluminum mold. Used almost 1 oz FO and 3T stearic did several layers...poured at 155 and got frost in the tin and none in the aluminum. Others on this board love aluminum....I am not a rustic expert but I seem to have the best luck with tin.......I am hoping to get a better look with the aluminum as they are seamless.....I will try again.:mad: Donita Louise

I only use aluminum and never have problems getting rustic layers. However, if I try to do a full 3x6 mold with just one layer, it doesn't give me the effect I want due to the mold getting too hot.

Have you tried layers? That might help. :undecided

I have also heard that tin gives better frost than alum, but ppl on this board using the same wax and alum molds are able to get rustics. Im will try one in a tin mold and see if thats better.

Yesterday I used some 1343 for the first time. I used a tin 3x6 mold and a 3x6 aluminum mold. Used almost 1 oz FO and 3T stearic did several layers...poured at 155 and got frost in the tin and none in the aluminum. Others on this board love aluminum....I am not a rustic expert but I seem to have the best luck with tin.......I am hoping to get a better look with the aluminum as they are seamless.....I will try again.:mad: Donita Louise

Ok, since you and I have been chitchatting back and forth about rustics I'll tell you what I did - since I had to repour those mottles I told you about, I poured one as a solid rustic - I poured between 135-140 - then I wrapped a cool towel around it to try to keep the mold cool - I got a cool rusticy looking effect, but it is smooth and shiny at the same time, I guess from having the cold towel around it - if you want me to post a pic for you, let me know.

Pic Please!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Ok, since you and I have been chitchatting back and forth about rustics I'll tell you what I did - since I had to repour those mottles I told you about, I poured one as a solid rustic - I poured between 135-140 - then I wrapped a cool towel around it to try to keep the mold cool - I got a cool rusticy looking effect, but it is smooth and shiny at the same time, I guess from having the cold towel around it - if you want me to post a pic for you, let me know.

I think the finish is gorgeous! I know what you mean though, typically the Rustic finish is more textured(a/k/a bubbles & pits, LOL). I love all the wispy lines in yours.

Right, I think it's something to play around with, anyhow, to build up stock w/solid colored candles - takes a lot less time, and mottles are really soooooooooooo time consuming - forgot how long those freaking things take to cool!

ets, when I say time consuming, I don't mean to pour, I mean that I wanted to do a second batch of candles today, and here it is six o'clock and these stupid things are not even close to unmolding, and I finished pouring them around seven hours ago. Ugh! No wonder I love rustics!

I think the finish is gorgeous! I know what you mean though, typically the Rustic finish is more textured(a/k/a bubbles & pits, LOL). I love all the wispy lines in yours.

I agree..that candle looks very nice! I would be happy with that I believe, although I am going for alot of frost at the same time. But it looks very much rustic in the picture. The tin mold didnt work either, got the same results as in the alum molds. If the stearic isnt bad, maybe the mold is just too warm. Next thing to try is cooling the mold in the fridge. I'll work on that tonight and let you know how it turned out.

Ok, here you go - Looks kindof rustic, but like I said, it is smooth and shiny, except for the top

I agree with Trish on this. When I only do one color (as opposed to layers) the finish looks rustic but not really textured. I think it's because the mold is hot the whole time after the wax is in it, even if you pour cool. The more wax that is in the mold, the hotter the mold stays. With layers, you only have the layer to warm the mold, as opposed to the whole candle. I hope this makes sense.

Next thing to try is cooling the mold in the fridge. I'll work on that tonight and let you know how it turned out.

K, poured at 150 into a frozen mold and still no rustic. Not even any ridges. I got a tiny bit of frost on the top 1 inch of the candle but the rest is smooth an shiny with a lil bit of mottle thoughout. Any other ideas I can try?