i'm back into palm pillars again...

Kay

I love your pillars...I just started trying my hand at pillars...is that a tealight in the middle and what is that that is inserted in the pillar for the tealight to sit in?

Sandy~WI

sorry i'm just now getting back to replying..busy gal here..moving in 2 months & there is alot of painting to be done...lol

Yes that is a tea light in the center. Its called everlasting or some (including me) may call it forever candles.

I purchased a plug from....creative gem molds http://www.creativegemsmolds.com/store/view_product.php?product=T-L3S6AW7

I place the plug in bottom of my metal mold, place a Glass tea light holder on top of that. Pour my wax & wait. The plug keeps it from leaking out of the wick hole most of the time. Sometimes I get little leak, but nothing major. Sometimes i use a hot glue gun & just put a dab of glue over the hole from the outside. That usually works. When the candle comes out just take out the plug & your glass tea light is embedded into your candle ready for a tea light to be inserted. I got this trick off of here...acouple ppl have told me about this invention.

Good luck.

Those look great Kay! Someday mine will look as good as yours!! I have a question!! How do you get the candle out of the mold?? There's no wick to pull it out with & I'm having a hard time getting them out!!

I had this problem a couple weeks ago. (Candles wouldn't come out of the mold). Come to find out I got a bad batch of palm wax..I had added release powder & all & had to end up melting the wax almost completely in the oven to get them to come out. I add 2 tbsp of release powder now to about 2 lbs of palm & they "Usually" slide right out..but I have to turn the mold over when the molds are still warm to the touch. If I wait to long they don't come out. Its a timing thing....lol Every once in awhilke I have trouble, but I just stand in the middle of my kitchen shaking this mold like i'm making a mixed drink in a shaker...:laugh2:Looking really weird! I've almost dropped acouple.

Oh my gosh Kay why didn't I think of that? It looks like your metal molds are concave. I did make holers for the glassware but never could get it right for concave molds. That is an awesome idea!

Janet

I tried just using the plugs without the glass tea light...I had a hard time getting the plugs out of my concaved candle once they were done (without cracking my pillar) Plus I didn't like how small the hole was for the tea light, it was getting to hot for the palm....it was cracking my pillars around the tea light. Getting the tea lights out after you burn one, was very tricky! I just decided to place a glass tea light cup in on top of the plug & see what happens. Sure enough its the right size & the glass tea light is already in your candle when you take it out of the mold. Perfect...But if you make a larger plug (deeper) let me know. I would love to try like a votive size plug.

http://www.candle4less.com/12-Clear-Glass-Tea-Light-Candle-Holders.pr.1671.htm

I found this site with a pretty ok price. I ordered mine from www.cudge.com, but for some reason their site isn't coming up. I paid $27.00 for a 72 count of tea light cups. Here its $35.00 for 72 count.

NEVER MIND! I was looking at the wrong site...its .net, not .com..Here it is..

http://www.cudge.net/tea_light_holders.html

I keep telling the new candle makers that the reason I like CT is that people are always coming up with new ideas. Janet...remember when I told you thatI used a little glass candle holder in the bottom of my orbs to make an indentation for the tea light? ......Well....Kay sure came up with a great idea using the glass over the plug in the pillar. I don't think I would have ever thought of that one. I am writing that tip in my book. Thanks Kay for figuring that one out. That's the best tip I have read in a long time.....and BTW....your candles are very pretty.

Janet.....I found it hard to get the plug out too, and it was so small that I had to take a knife and make it a little larger.....but maybe a larger plug is in order. I like the idea of the wax not sticking to the glass.

Isn't it amazing how such a small thing could get me so excited.

Donita Louise

I keep telling the new candle makers that the reason I like CT is that people are always coming up with new ideas. Janet...remember when I told you thatI used a little glass candle holder in the bottom of my orbs to make an indentation for the tea light? ......Well....Kay sure came up with a great idea using the glass over the plug in the pillar. I don't think I would have ever thought of that one. I am writing that tip in my book. Thanks Kay for figuring that one out. That's the best tip I have read in a long time.....and BTW....your candles are very pretty.

Janet.....I found it hard to get the plug out too, and it was so small that I had to take a knife and make it a little larger.....but maybe a larger plug is in order. I like the idea of the wax not sticking to the glass.

Isn't it amazing how such a small thing could get me so excited.

Donita Louise

Thanks, I have gotten so many tips off here too, so sharing what i have figured out would only be fair....:D

• 1 month later...

I place the plug in bottom of my metal mold, place a Glass tea light holder on top of that. When the candle comes out just take out the plug & your glass tea light is embedded into your candle ready for a tea light to be inserted.

Kay-- are you out there? Need your help! SOS anyone.... Help save the day!!

I finally received my tealight insert plug and followed your directions above. After it was just about impossible to get the insert plug out of the mold I discovered another problem-- the tealight glass was too low inside the pillar. GRRRRR! But it sure was beautiful, which is what broke my heart.

Hubby says, "I think you need to cut some of that silicone off the plug to make it level with the TL glass." I think the TL glass I used is about as pretty low profile as it comes.

Would it make a difference if the mold is flat or concave? I think the problem just lies in the fact that too much of the plug sticks out of the glass TL. What to do?

Many thanks~~~

I place the plug in bottom of my metal mold, place a Glass tea light holder on top of that. When the candle comes out just take out the plug & your glass tea light is embedded into your candle ready for a tea light to be inserted.

Kay-- are you out there? Need your help! SOS anyone.... Help save the day!!

I finally received my tealight insert plug and followed your directions above. After it was just about impossible to get the insert plug out of the mold I discovered another problem-- the tealight glass was too low inside the pillar. GRRRRR! But it sure was beautiful, which is what broke my heart.

Hubby says, "I think you need to cut some of that silicone off the plug to make it level with the TL glass." I think the TL glass I used is about as pretty low profile as it comes.

Would it make a difference if the mold is flat or concave? I think the problem just lies in the fact that too much of the plug sticks out of the glass TL. What to do?

Many thanks~~~

does it look like this? I have had no problem with the glass being to low...my plug fits almost flush with the TL glass. actually the glass ticks out just a hair.

post-5306-139458426145_thumb.jpg

Oh Kay, I'm glad you are online!

My plug is purple (not that matters!) and is significantly taller than the low profile Glass TL holder (looks just like yours-- Garden Ridge, perhaps?) This is where hubby was suggesting to cut the plug itself so that it fits in the glass TL holder with less sticking out. (geez, am I making any sense?)

I am also unsure about what/how to cut the plug with.

Does using a concave mold have any effect on this?

Thanks so much!

It sounds like you have gotten the hurricane holer & not the TL holer. But yes maybe cutting it might help. Maybe cutting it with an electric knife, like you cut your turkey with on Thanksgiving day...lol

I have flat & concaved molds..haven't made a difference.

Kay~~

LOL-- the electric knife idea is exactly what hubby wanted to do when we first started talking about possibly cutting the plug! You know men--- any chance to use a "power tool"!:laugh2:

Thanks for letting me know about the flat and concave molds. I like the look of concave tops and that's the type of the few molds I have.

Potential buyer alert-- I am looking to stock up big time on molds from this board when my 30 days are up. I sure wish I could do it now! Would my eBay 100% positive rating help???:D

Kay, thank you SOOO much for your help with this issue!!!! You are a real gem!

Gotta run, I think I hear hubby with the chain saw instead of the electric carving knife..............