Chunk pillars, is there any way....

to get the chunks to stay closer to the side of the mould, so there isn't so much overpour visible in front of each chunk?

I've tried reall wedging them in and forcing them into the outside of the mould, but each time I end up piggling bits of overpour off to see the chunks.

anyone any tips?

btw, anyone used soy to make chunks? pillar blend I mean

Yes there is a way.....but you have to do it in a square mold. You can put them right up against the mold and they will be perfectly flat. Just like the letters and little colored chunks I do in my school letter candles. Donita Louise

thanks donita, i did think on the last one, how on earth do I make flat chunks go against a round wall :)

Closest I have at the mo, is an octagon one.

anjie, the wines flowing, don't worry :D

2 weeks with 4 kids, no pc for me, i'll be grey within the fortnight ;)

omg! a laptop, how the other half live lmao

at least I can retreat to the kitchen with my wax, whilst they hog the pc :)

got some soy tins to try, done a couple. Plus, want to have a go in my octagon mould now with chunks.

Mine are 2 boys 12 and 8 in two days time!! and 2 girls, 5 and 3 (covered in chickenpox) lmao

happy holidays

I've had this problem too, expecially with my odd shaped moulds. I found just making smaller chunks helps, as you can squash them in better with less gaps!

I do really small ones, less than a cm in length and width. Make nice candles too, if only i could post pics!!!

I do chunk pillars using standard molds. You really need to pack the mold with the chunks, just when you think you have enough--add more. And make sure your chunks are a vibrant color to stand out. I do chunk votives alot and never have a problem.

thanks donita' date=' i did think on the last one, how on earth do I make flat chunks go against a round wall :)

Closest I have at the mo, is an octagon one.

anjie, the wines flowing, don't worry :D

2 weeks with 4 kids, no pc for me, i'll be grey within the fortnight ;)[/quote']

One could always mold contoured chunks for use in round molds. I guess you could start like you were making a hurricane shell, with colored wax. Then unmold and cut up your hurricane. Use those chunks in your chunky pillars.

And.......remember that there are no rules when it comes to creativity. It should be about fun and discovering new things. There are so many creative people on this board and they keep posting their findings. That is what makes this fun. I have learned so much and figured out so much. Or I wouldn't want to keep doing this. My ugly candles are gifts to my family (smile) Donita Louise

One could always mold contoured chunks for use in round molds. I guess you could start like you were making a hurricane shell, with colored wax. Then unmold and cut up your hurricane. Use those chunks in your chunky pillars.

I've made about six bazillion chunk pillars in round molds using square and triangular chunks, and they've all looked pretty good... but it never occurred to me to make the chunks to fit the mold this way! Thanks for the great tip, Tony! :yay:

Thanks Jaye.....but you haven't seen them all. (smile)......some layers have broken apart....some colors bleed so they don't even look like a candle. Some get stuck in molds....some crack.....the list goes on and on. I am going to try something new. I just ordered about 8 different bear cookie cutters. I will have to "shape" them so they fit flat in an oval mold. Then hold them in place with chunks....it will be a hurricane.....oval, round and square..I hope to do a Mommy bear and two cubs....and I ordered a bee hive and bee cutter too. This is a new design for me and I can hardly wait. Guess I am in the right business....I am not tired of it yet and new ideas are soooooooooooo much fun. I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for my cutters so come. This is bear country and people buy bear "stuff".....so I have to make my bear candles the best. Donita Louise

you know, joking apart, its my life long dream to be in America. It's weird, more than a wanting, its a need.

could be something to do with having to ship hershey choc over too lmao

I'm sure I lived in america in a previous life. I could have been a famous candlemaker from the 1800's :D

Just an opinion. I think the randomness of the chunks in the pillar are what makes the candle. I dump the chunks into the mold and pour. If you're going to try to make the chunks fit the mold, you might just as well pour a pillar, and be done with it. To get the chunks to get closer to the mold, you could cut them smaller, that way more of them will pack closer. I have always cut mine about a half inch square, and they are poured about a half inch deep.

Fredron

Just an opinion. I think the randomness of the chunks in the pillar are what makes the candle. I dump the chunks into the mold and pour. If you're going to try to make the chunks fit the mold, you might just as well pour a pillar, and be done with it. To get the chunks to get closer to the mold, you could cut them smaller, that way more of them will pack closer. I have always cut mine about a half inch square, and they are poured about a half inch deep.

Fredron

I suppose I agree with your statement. I guess the one reason you'd want to match the contour of your mold would be for an imbed. Otherwise, chunks is random :)

I think too that if your chunks are too big, you might run the risk of your melt pool leaking past the chunk and to the edge of the pillar. I guess if your overpour is the right temp, it should bind well with the chunks, eh?

Here's a couple chunky pics. A pillar first. I think the chunks are too big:

[ATTACH]10976[/ATTACH]

And, a chunky votive. These are small chunks, like 1/4" cubes.

[ATTACH]10977[/ATTACH]

Here is a pic of that pillar burning.

[ATTACH]10978[/ATTACH]

Tony

post-2472-139458423362_thumb.jpg

post-2472-139458423366_thumb.jpg

post-2472-139458423368_thumb.jpg

If you want to make small chunks to make them moe visibile you could do some chunks in the color you want to show more, then other chunks in the same color of the overpour to help you keep the different color chunks close to the side of the mold. Hope this makes sense!

I prefer small chunks, very big chunks to me are ehmm how can I say.. rough? I mean they don't have any fashion for me, but this is only my opinion.