A new respect for candlemakers...

I love to keep busy and learn new things! A few years ago, I dipped into the world of gardening....it turns out that I have dirt in my blood! :D

About a month ago, I walked in to Yankee Candle (is that a bad word here?) for the first time. I took one look at their prices and just got ticked off. I mean, how rude! I guess if I were desperate, I could sell one of my children to afford one of their candles....

Anway, it was then that I decided that candlemaking could become my new hobby to learn....who knows, I thought maybe I had wax in my blood too! Yeah, right! :laugh2:

After just a few weeks of reading numerous posts on this board....all I can say is WOW!! I had no idea that so much went into making candles! I just assumed that there was one type of wax, one type of wick, etc....well, wouldn't that just be a perfect world? :)

Exactly how many types of wicks and wax are there, and where do you guys find the patience to try every one of them? I just have to say that I really admire you all! Talk about determination....:bow:

Just wanted you all to know that I have gained a total respect for all candlemakers....just wish me luck as I attempt to venture into your world!

And thank you to those who have helped me so far!!

Good Luck! It is all tons of fun! At one point I had 6 different types of wax for various projects. I'm down to 4 now...lol

Just have fun and dont try to do everything at once. It is too overwhelming. Do one thing at a time and when you get it down move on to the next.

At first it all seems very over-whelming BUT if you take a lot of notes and READ the Archives, there is a ton of information here and great people to help ya a wee bit. I started out as a hobby 4 years ago and I LOVE it still!!! It calms me and the feeling you get after you make them is almost euphoric!!

I suggest you get a Kit to start out with. I got mine from www.peakcandle.com Their kits are well worth the money for all that you get with them. I started with Pillars and I love them still,,,Anyway

WELCOME to CT and your new ADDICTION!!!:D

Oh and dont forget a journal!!!! ALWAYS take notes when you make your candles!!!!

Welcome to CT!

The best way I find to overcome that overwhelmed feeling is to start out simple. Do one thing at a time and focus on that.

Decide on the type of candle you want to make. Then decide on the wax. You don't have to make 10 different candles using 10 types of wax. Just choose one.

I second the candlemaker kit. Best way to get a quality candle made without spending a ton of money. Wish I had known about the kits before I started. Would have saved myself a chunk of change.

Learned the same lesson 20 years ago and I also had the same initiative... loved Yankee but had just gotten married and moved to an area that to get to the only Yankee outlet for miles around you had to take a ferry, cross a Great Lake and dock on a small island... you get the picture.

I started with a child's candle making kit... it just went from there. First 5 years was testing and probably selling some that now that I look back on it, should have never ever been burnt indoors!

Congrats on the green thumb though... I can kill anything! However, that being said, I did have a most beautiful amaryllis this past Christmas that amazed me as it bloomed. Beautiful!

Welcome to CT!

Hi and welcome.

I am also new to candle making. It does seem overwhelming, but like everyone said just take your time and test. I also use my family in testing. I started out using Cajun Candle Supplies. They helped me alot. They have kits and instructions for any kind of candle you want to make. They also have a section for beginners and how to save money on supplies. They also explain the different types of wax and soy. Their scents are great and I have never had to use more than 1oz. per pound of wax.

Hope this helps. This forum is great and everyone is willing help you.

Brenny

As far as how many wicks, GOD knows but I don't think anyone else has a brain big enough to hold all that knowlege.... I have a very large plastic tub in the garage that has at least a hundred different kinds/sizes, not to mention the 1000's of a couple different sizes I don't use anymore. EEEK Then there are the at least 6-50lb boxes of different waxes I just had to try and yet haven't. Everytime I think I'll throw them away I say"firestarters". Have fun, I know I am.