My first candles!

I poured my first 3 soy candles today :) The tops on the orange and lavender are a bit grainy, but the third one I poured came out very smooth! I tried hitting the two grainy ones with a heat gun but that only seemed to exacerbate things once the wax cooled again :undecided

Actually I'm not really worried about the tops too much cuz my major concern is the test burn. If they don't burn, it won't matter HOW pretty and smooth the tops are:grin2: Guess I'll have to be patient and wait for them to cure before the test burn. I did have a little wax left over and ended up pouring it into a plastic cup. Popped it out once it was cool and I have a not-so-great looking but very great smelling 'tart' for my tart burner. I did try that already and the throw seems very good! Here's my first try - (the orange is Black Current & Nectarine, the Lavender - Lavender, and the Aqua - Clean Cotton)

candles.jpg

Looks great and love the colors. So springy!! Excellent job. :)

What wicks did you use and what is the diameter of your containers? The wicks look like they may be too small but it is hard to tell from a picture. So I was just wondering. But your candles still look great and the colors are awesome. :cool2:

Looks great and love the colors. So springy!! Excellent job. :)

What wicks did you use and what is the diameter of your containers? The wicks look like they may be too small but it is hard to tell from a picture. So I was just wondering. But your candles still look great and the colors are awesome. :cool2:

The top of the candle container is 3", but the majority of the wax is in the more tapered part at 2 1/2". The wick is HT 52. I used 1oz per lb of FOs, except for the lavender where I used 1 oz in 13 oz of wax. The top to the lavender came out really rough. Don't know if it was the increase in FO or not but that's the only thing I really did differently for that one.

A 52 will be too small. With soy, 3 inches is as far as you can take it on a single wick. I'd try a 1212 with that diameter. Let us know how they burn. You've definitely have made some pretty candles. Once you get the wicking down, you'll be good to go. :wink2:

A 52 will be too small. :wink2:

Rats - oh well. My order was wrong and candlescience is sending me new wicks anyway. I did as topofmurrayhill suggested and exchanged them for the wick kit - which has different sizes. These wicks shown here, another local chandler gave me to try because I wanted to start right away and didn't feel like waiting for my order to be resent. ;)

I'll try the larger wicks. I'm not wedded to these containers either - they were quick and cheap at the dollar store. I'm real close to Fillmore container and I can pick some up there. I didn't know about the 3" max for soy with one wick - thanks!

Is it dangerous to burn with a smaller wick, or will they just not burn with a full melt pool? I wanted to send the first one I made to my daughter, but not if it's a hazard.

Nancy

You'll not get a full melt pool so your scent throw probably won't be as good.

I let my soy cure for a week before test burning.

You got some pretty coloured candles there, when you get the wicks sorted I'm sure they will burn beautifully.

Sally.

Not sure if it matters but I use a cd12 in the square mason jars with pure soy and have great melt pool and scent throw...

As for burn tests, my only problem is the wait time. I get so excited that I find I have to trick myself like a small child... I pour, say 6 votives for a test run and start testing same day lol... by the time I do one a day I have 'cure time' and take the 6th burn for giving me direction...

Might get expensive in the short run but I still always feel ahead of the game because had I never made candles I would be buying from someone else and spending more money in the long run!