room size for candles?

Is there somewhere that lists how large of a room each size candle should scent? I know that my 6 oz metro will not do a large room, just want a rule of thumb and can't figure out what to search for. (I know that alot of it depends on your particular wax, fo %, etc., I am just looking for a starting point) Thanks for your input.

As I was interested in reading more on this also, I took the liberty of posting some thread links on this forum. :grin2:

This one by Fire and Ice is great!

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41843&highlight=room+size+burn+candles

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=228952&postcount=7

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=190314&postcount=4

If you want to read more I would put in "testing" in the Search engine. Too much to go through this morning. lol!

I think it really depends on the scent itself. I've had a tea light that kicked ass in a fairly large room (Peak's Amish Harvest)...also, a 4 oz tin that was very strong that could be smelled on the whole lower floor of my house and was creeping up the stairwell. Pillars don't throw a whole lot of scent unless your burning three or more...at least that's been the case for me. Votives I use strickly for smaller rooms as I've not had much luck in getting those to throw real strong...it's usually a moderate throw at best, except for a few scents that filled a small-medium sized room very nicely. So, it's really a test it out and see...

Thanks everyone for your input. The main reason I was asking is because a friends daughter has a 6 oz Metro candle and was expecting it to fill her house with scent. My candles usually have great scent throw, but I think that is a bit much to expect, even for soy. My 6 oz will fill a room but not a house. I was just wanting to find a general guideline to recommend , such as for a large great room, 1 lg candle or 2 small etc. I'm not having much luck finding that.

As everyone else has said does depend on the scent. If I had a 6 oz. Plumeria candle going then I would only say maybe a room to two rooms with of scent. If I had a scent like Lilac going then it will fill the whole floor of a house with a scent. I make mine all with paraffin too.

The throw will also depend on where in the house the candle is lit. There are air currents throughout the home and you may find that if you have a light throwing candle that is normally a good thrower you have to move it to another spot. I have a place in my living room (two story with overlook balcony) that if I burn, I only smell it upstairs. But I smell it in all the bedrooms, hallway and on the stairs. Next to it there is very little throw. If I burn the same candle in the kitchen (next to the two story room), I get a great throw throughout the main floor, but little to no throw upstairs. The house is about 2000 open square feet on the main floor, about 1/4-1/3 of which is that pesky two story room. If I burn a candle in the powder room, I smell it throughout the foyer and the hall and the stairs.

All this to say, if she has a large home (or even not), try moving the candle to different places to increase the throw. I literally was trying to figure out what I could do with my dud candle 2 days ago... until I went upstairs and it was so strong I could hardly breathe!! (WYW Van Grapefruit, 1/2 oz to 1 lb in 464). Moved that sucker to the kitchen!!!

-Kristi

The throw will also depend on where in the house the candle is lit. There are air currents throughout the home and you may find that if you have a light throwing candle that is normally a good thrower you have to move it to another spot. I have a place in my living room (two story with overlook balcony) that if I burn, I only smell it upstairs. But I smell it in all the bedrooms, hallway and on the stairs. Next to it there is very little throw. If I burn the same candle in the kitchen (next to the two story room), I get a great throw throughout the main floor, but little to no throw upstairs. The house is about 2000 open square feet on the main floor, about 1/4-1/3 of which is that pesky two story room. If I burn a candle in the powder room, I smell it throughout the foyer and the hall and the stairs.

All this to say, if she has a large home (or even not), try moving the candle to different places to increase the throw. I literally was trying to figure out what I could do with my dud candle 2 days ago... until I went upstairs and it was so strong I could hardly breathe!! (WYW Van Grapefruit, 1/2 oz to 1 lb in 464). Moved that sucker to the kitchen!!!

-Kristi

I am glad you pointed this out . . .We built a new home 2 years ago and sometimes I still have a hard time trying to find the right location to burn testers due to air flow and the layout of our home. In our other house testing was not as complicated. In this house I can burn a tester and get nothing. Take it to work to get rid of it and it throws like crazy.