Opinions on Mineral Oil in body care stuff?

ah-soy

I've read tons of info. on this...many bad, some poo-pooing the bad. The reason I ask is I've been experimenting making my own emulsified base and then received a sample of a base with mineral oil as the first ingredient... wouldn't ya know it's my favorite of all the ones I've tried!

Anyway, interested to know your op;inions about mineral oil used in B&B recipes...TIA!

In body care there is no problem, but it face care it has been proven to be comedogenic, i.e. it causes blackheads. Also, used to be used alot as an eye make-up remover because it emulsifies the waxes and pigments used in these products so easily. However, I know of one plastic surgeon at least who condemns the use of this, because it can enter the tear duct of the eye and being oil based can cause long term problems with your eyes and the surrounding tissue, meaning it can actually build up in the fatty tissue surrounding the orbital cavity and that is not pretty.

Just another bit of info - not meaning to be negative at all. If you intend to use it as a base for body exclusively, can't see the problem.

HTH

Katinka

No worries, I don't think that was negative at all. It's very good stuff to know! I'm just messing around with sugar scrub recipes that aren't quite so greasy. It'll take me a long time to settle on one I like and then test cause I'm soooooooo picky.

I can't find the article online that I have printed in my paperwork (which I don't exactly feel like digging out right now, lol, sorry), but from what it says, the fear of MO is based on the original use of MO decades ago which was NOT as pure and refined as it is today. Most information you will find on it has not kept up with the times. There is still the same fear about it though because it persists through the years. I think there will always be debate just like Paraffin vs. Soy. You HEAR or READ negative stuff on it, but there is never any studies against it.

Here are just a few quotes from one website that I found while looking for that other particular article.

"Petrolatum and mineral oil are remarkably good skin-care ingredients; they are also recognized by cosmetics chemists the world over for being superior emollients and completely harmless (Source: Dermatologic Surgery, June 1998, pages 661–664). Even the claim that these ingredients are occlusive (blocking) and, therefore, bad for skin is also without proof (Source: Contact Dermatitis, September 1996, pages 163–168).

Why mineral oil and petrolatum continue to get a bad rap from the so-called natural skin-care world is a mystery. "

"What is most confusing is that ingredients known for causing breakouts may not leave a greasy feel on the skin. Surprisingly, one of the greasiest ingredients, mineral oil, has been shown in study after study to not cause breakouts, although it can still feel greasy. "

I'm pretty much hearing here what I've read online...good and bad like so many other ingredients in our foods and personal care stuff. I agree it's like the para vs. soy controversy and also essential oils vs. fragrance oils. Then there's the confict about FD & C colorants vs. natural...what's a girl to do??? :grin2:

Thanks so much for your replies...I sure wish some scientific study would just come out with some proof either way, but either way the study would probably be sponsored by a corp. that wanted the proof they wanted if ya know what I mean;) !

I'm leaning toward using it in my body scrub because you rinse it off anyway and gosh this base feels so good. I'm also working on a separate facial scrub without it. Onward and upward...thanks again!

Thanks again!

I've read the same thing about the whole clogged pores thing. I even looked at some of my department store brand creams & lotions & some of them also contain mineral oil. Some of the bases I use have mineral oil in them, but on my products I do state that they are not meant for use on the face. It is hand & body only.

I think its mostly ignorance is the area of MO. If you do research in your local library or extensively on the net you will that mo is not harmful and in fact one of the best moisturizers out there. Most of the negative stuff you comes from researchers of manufacturers trying to up-play their products and downgrade someone elses. It does not clog pores, the molecules are too large to penetrate the skin. It just lays on the skin and inhibit moisture from leaving your skin, keeping your skin feeling very soft.

Some people give opinions based on what they heard and not what they know. When I started my biz the first thing I did was research whatever I was adding to my products. Don't believe the hype. Don't believe everything you read on here or anywhere else. Read and know for yourself.

I think its mostly ignorance is the area of MO. If you do research in your local library or extensively on the net you will that mo is not harmful and in fact one of the best moisturizers out there. Most of the negative stuff you comes from researchers of manufacturers trying to up-play their products and downgrade someone elses. It does not clog pores, the molecules are too large to penetrate the skin. It just lays on the skin and inhibit moisture from leaving your skin, keeping your skin feeling very soft.

Some people give opinions based on what they heard and not what they know. When I started my biz the first thing I did was research whatever I was adding to my products. Don't believe the hype. Don't believe everything you read on here or anywhere else. Read and know for yourself.

Below is a link to just one article of hundreds I've bookmarked...not that any of them are the final scientific word (if there is one)...it's just very interesting to read it all.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/05/18/does-mineral-oil-cause-zits/

I have been reading this thread with interest and started reading just a little bit about mineral oils.

I have some questions that I haven't found in my research exactly thus far.

Isn't mineral oil derived from petroleum which is a non renewable resource? (As it is right now I find using plastic packaging a neccessary evil - but at least you can recycle those.)

What about glycerin?

What about Fragrance oils? They are all synthetic right? I wonder if they contain mineral oils (or the like) anyway so wouldn't people who use them already have it (though in a very small quantities) in thier products? I do use Mostly fragrance oils. I have just begun to use EO's - And I wonder if they have mineral oil in them as well as a carrier?

Thanks,

Bethany

I'm not sure how people avoid it in real life. Most everyone I know is a fan of lotions from Bath & Body Works and/or Victoria's Secret. Both these have mineral oil as the 2nd ingredient (if I remember correctly). Even facial moisturizers (such as Clinique's dramatically different lotion) have it as the 2nd ingredient (right after water), and so do many pressed powders (also 2nd ingredient, right after talc) unless you go for an oil-free moisturizer or powder. Same thing with blush and eye shadow - these usually contain mineral oil as well. It would be difficult to avoid it if you are someone who really doesn't want to use it, especially when ingredient listings for some of these items aren't readily available.

I am seriously considering adding a bit of it to my lotions and body butters. People buy them, they rave about them. But I'm not sure I love them. something is missing - I made them to be non-greasy and boy are they! I feel like there is no "protection" there.

The reason I have so many questions is so I can back up "it's ok" and like the above poster said - it's pretty hard to avoid them. I think a lot of the "purists" would be surprised to find out what is really in FO's. I have no idea really - but it would be interesting to find out.

And I do have little issues with non-renewable resources. There's a part of me that wishes we could package in paper! The little hippy inside I suppose!

Bethany

Look at it this way... as long as you drive a car( that uses gas)... as long as your lawn mower needs gas, as long as gas is produced... there will be mineral oil as it is a bi product of gasoline production. It is not taken from the earth simply to satisfy the cosmetic industry. Rather the cosmetic (and pharmacutical) industry has found a use for something that otherwise would exist anyways. Isn't that kind of like recycling?:D

Another angle about MO...

IMO & most of my customers I don't like the "feel" of a product with MO in it. Take lotion, for example, to me lotion with MO in it feels greasy and that lotion does not soak into the skin, because MO has large molecules it just sits on the skin.

Myself & my customers don't like a lotion that is greasy, sticky or slimy so I avoid ingredients that cause these problems.

I'm not saying MO is bad for the skin, I just don't like the "FEEL" of it in products.