Recipe Help?

kari357

I was trying to come up with a recipe using Soap Calc. Can someone with experience advise me if this looks ok? I want a moisturizing bar with bubbly lather if possible. Heres what I came up with:

Coconut 20%

Palm 20%

PKO 10%

OO 10%

RBO 10%

Castor 10%

Avocado 15%

Shea Butter 5%

Hardness 42

Cleansing 20

Conditioning 52

Bubbly 29

Creamy 32

Iodine 58

INS 147

Also can I add my superfat (grapeseed oil at 1 oz ppd) at trace and put a zero% superfat discount on the calc., or do I have to add it to the oil list and compute a 5% superfat discount? TIA, Kari

I dont have an answer for you, however your recipe looks alot like the one I made yesterday. I didn't have PKO so just upped my palm by 5% and added mango butter too. It was an awesome bar of soap! I am getting PKO hopefully by Monday and was going to incorporate it into my previous recipe. Let me know how you like this one!

It was'nt drying at all and has bubbly lather? I'm awaiting my next shipment and I'm gonna try it out. I was wondering if my coconut was a little high.

I'm in Palos Heights, its about 30 mins. south of Chicago. Glad to meet another Illinoian.

I was trying to come up with a recipe using Soap Also can I add my superfat (grapeseed oil at 1 oz ppd) at trace and put a zero% superfat discount on the calc., or do I have to add it to the oil list and compute a 5% superfat discount? TIA, Kari

I would just add it to your oil list and compute a superfat.

From all I've read, it's pretty much a moot point to add a special oil at trace in the hopes that it'll be the special one that your lye ignores, especially since saponification is still going on in your soap for up to about 3 days after you make your soap.

Another way of saying it is that saponification is not fully complete the minute one is done mixing their special oil in- it's got a few days of work to go yet- and being that the lye is an equal opportunity saponifier, it is going to go after whatever oil it wants to saponify in spite of what you want it to.

In the end, no one really can't say for sure what oils are actually roaming free in your soap, and so it's just easier, and makes more sense in the scheme of things, to just go ahead and list your special oil in with the other oils and then calculate for a superfat. I hope that helps. :)

MarieJeanette

It wasnt drying at all and had a nice creamy lather. I used

avocado 5%

Castor 5%

Mango 5%

Shea 5%

Coconut 15%

Palm 25%

Olive 23%

RBO 15%

Stearic 2%

Used 2 tablespoons of sugar in my water

It was a great bar of soap. Of course I tried a variation of it last night and am not too thrilled-subbed the avocado with grapeseed,subbed cocoa butter for shea and used lard instead of palm. TOtally different soap lol

Of course when my PKO gets here I am going to take some palm out and plug in pko.

I know where Palos is! I grew up in Orland park, just moved out here a year ago.

Let me know how your bar turns out!

Thanks everyone for all your help. Will make my changes and try it during the week when my new supplies arrive. Will keep you posted. Really appreciate all the input.

Tracey, we were almost neighbors. I live right on the border of Orland. Small world. How do you like Deerfield?

Almost neighbors lol I lived on the border of Orland and Homer Township which I think now is called Homer Glen or something lol. Let me tell you, moving here is a HUGE difference from Orland! Although there is alot more to do here, it's like living in the city! Traffic blows! I used to think traffic on Lagrange Road or 159th was horrid lol Here it is much worse, for example I know that if I need to leave my house for something-walmart trip or grocery shopping, I have to be ON the road by 3:15 if not, forget it! I will be stuck in traffic to go 15 minutes down the street for at least an hour both ways. It sucks lol

Absolutely, so am I, Thanks for tweaking it Carrie. I've only made 3 batches of soap so far and I must say I will never go back to store soap again. Already gave away 6 bars of Dove. No more dry itchy skin!

Sorry to hear about your traffic woes Tracey. If it makes you feel any better LaGrange Rd seems to be even worse this past year, esp. since they opened that new mall on about 143rd and added another slow light, really bottlenecks traffic. I live on 131st and try to use internal roads to avoid LaGrange. I've been stuck at that damn new light for 4-5 light changes. makes you want to pull your hair out lol.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Coconut 10%

Palm 10%

PKO 15%

OO 20%

RBO 20%

Castor 10%

Avocado 10%

Shea Butter 5%

Hardness 36

Cleansing 16

Conditioning 58

Bubbly 25

Creamy 29

Iodine 68

INS 129

JMHO :cool2:

How do you come up with the values for hardness cleansing and so forth? I'm new to CP and need all the info I can get!

Thanks

Kelly

How do you come up with the values for hardness cleansing and so forth? I'm new to CP and need all the info I can get!

Thanks

Kelly

everyone uses the Soapcalc website. you just plug in the percentage of the oils you will add to your batch and the size batch. It will calculate the amount of lye and water you need and tell you the properties the soap will have.

Ok I came up with a little concoction of my own and the properties of the bar are as follows:

Hardness: 42

Cleansing:17

Conditioner:52

Bubbly: 29

Creamy: 36

Iodine: 58

INS: 154

Ok first off what does the iodine do? Secondly what is INS?

Looking at these properties what rage do I want these numbers to be in and what excatly do they mean?

Kelly