Canadian Soapers!

SoapDiva

What part of the country are you from SoapDiva?

There are several good suppliers out West and in ON. I'm in the East and it's slim pickin's here except for 1 or 2 suppliers.

Here's a newer one (to me anyway) that I'm thinking of trying. I've heard good things about the FO's. She has a Yahoo group as well and runs prebuys often.

http://www.goatmilkskincare.com/fragranceoilsmain.html

I'm in Western Canada, Alberta to be exact. My "local" supplier is Lil at Lyndenhouse (lyndenhouse.net). She got me started and completely addicted. She really should be turned in as a pusher.

I'll check out that other link. Slim pickings isn't a good thing for down east. The husband is military and we may be looking at a move to the Greenwood/Kentville area in NS.

My dad is in the military as well so I grew up in greenwood (well, was there the longest out of all the other places I lived) and it is quite small (takes about 5 mins to drive out of the town...I mean, village). You're not likely to find anything there. I live in newfoundland right now and the closest supplier I can find is in ontario...I'm having a heck of a time getting potassium hydroxide because no one will ship it air (and living on an island really lowers my odds). I can't wait to move to alberta (in the next few months) so I can buy to my hearts content. Right now I buy from Kangaroo blue. Even with the exchange and shipping her prices are lower (stinks to pay a customs fee everytime I get a package though).

Christina

KittyKat,

I buy from Tracey as well. When I first started getting into soaping I bought from the states becuase I thought everything was cheaper there. But just the other day I finally took the time to relaly look at the prices and figure out the exchange and her FO's are mostly cheaper. She has a nice selection. I've got a package coming soon and I can't wait! She has excellent service, very personable.

Christina

Christina, have you tried your local hardware store? I am in a rural area of Alberta (2 hours from pretty much everything) and while it is cheaper for me to get Lye from my supplier in Edmonton, (10 bucks for 1kg) I can order it in bulk from my hardware store if I am in desperate need.

Where in Alberta are you moving too?

SoapDiva,

I can get Lye at home hardware no problem. It's the potash that I can't find. I called a chemical warehouse and the minimum I can order is a 25 kg bag which they would have to special order for me. They haven't gotten a price for me yet. There is one other place that sells lab chemicals but I'd be spending $28/lb for the potash (KOH). I don't think home hardware carries potash...

I will be moving to southern Alberta. Not positive where yet. My husband is just finishing school (his B of Ed, finally) and that's where we want to settle. Since we haven't had the opportunity to scout out the area, we need to crash in my parents basement and look around first (not going to be fun with 3 kids). Since they havne't moved there yet either (they'll be moving in July), I"m still unsure...but most likely lethbridge for the first little year.

Christina

Lethbridge is a great little community, about 50k people, housing has increased of course, there is a boom out here right now. My in-laws live there. They NEVER have snow. If they do, its gone within a day or two. They have some great craft show markets down there, between Swift Current (SK) and Medicine Hat and Regina it can be very busy.

You husband shouldn't have any issue finding a job, I always am seeing ads for Teachers out here. The key is going to the smaller communities, everyone wants to teach in the larger centers.

Lethbridge is booming, always building new homes and centers. They have a Costco, so that's a plus. LOL! If you do end up going there, let me know and I'll hook you up with some fabulous dining. Glen and I always escape the children when we go visit.

Taber is just 50 kms north of there, and they just got a Walmart, it was exciting for them! LOL! :laugh2:

Lethbridge is a great little community, about 50k people, housing has increased of course, there is a boom out here right now. My in-laws live there. They NEVER have snow. If they do, its gone within a day or two. They have some great craft show markets down there, between Swift Current (SK) and Medicine Hat and Regina it can be very busy.

You husband shouldn't have any issue finding a job, I always am seeing ads for Teachers out here. The key is going to the smaller communities, everyone wants to teach in the larger centers.

Lethbridge is booming, always building new homes and centers. They have a Costco, so that's a plus. LOL! If you do end up going there, let me know and I'll hook you up with some fabulous dining. Glen and I always escape the children when we go visit.

Taber is just 50 kms north of there, and they just got a Walmart, it was exciting for them! LOL! :laugh2:

Thank you so much for the info! I'm always trying to weedle it out of people that we know who live there. I'm really glad to hear about the snow! It's still snowing here (ugh) and during this winter, our front door was snowed in twice (up to the doorknob), and the drifts were level with our second floor window.

I'm really happy to hear about the job thing. We'd prefer to live in a small town. I'm not a city girl (probably due to growing up in greenwood). But I like living close enough that I can visit without it being a big deal. We're looking at raymond or cardston or somewhere close. We thought we'd have to live in a city to get a job (or commute). So, that is good news. Where do you see the postings? We need to be applying soon and we haven't found anything online for the small communities.

I'm really excited about all the stuff alberta has to offer. I might take you up on that dining info even if we don't "live" there. I hear there are tons of places to go dancing (without it being a bar). I'm so excited!!!!

We've looked into taber as well. It seems to have good priced houses. I remember getting a walmart in greenwood, sigh, what a to do that was.

Christina

Here is a link to the Alberta School Boards.

http://www.education.gov.ab.ca/ei/maps/public.asp

The area I am in is the Buffalo Trails school division - I live close to Wainwright, in a very small town where the cows sometimes wander down main street. Quite a shock to a Toronto born girl.

Most school boards have their own websites and will post job listings. We've got friends who have gone back to school after being in the work force to become teachers and they have found better luck at smaller regions.

Sometimes it is best to send a resume straight to the school board that you are interested in, people are afraid of the "interwebs" in the boondocks.

You'll have to think about how far away from a larger center you want to be. In some areas it can be 4-5 hours to civilization. We are 1.45 hours away from Edmonton, some days it feels like a million miles. However, Wainwright just got a Walmart too. They're taking over.